+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo 3DS     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime was on last night's episode of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon showing off Donkey Kong Country Returns and a surprise: not only did he have a Nintendo 3DS on hand, Reggie confirmed the new console would be out in 2011.

Not liking that vague date? That's also not a problem as Reggie made it known not too long ago that Nintendo wants to have the 3DS released in major markets (US, Asia, Europe) by March 31, 2011. There's still no final price set for the unit but you guys and gals have plenty of time to save up every last cent until its release.
    ~http://www.neoseeker.com/news/14232-...aunch-in-2011/

Was hoping it would be ready by Christmas, but not too long of a wait I guess.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Serious question. Am I going to be the only one waiting here that wants a 3DS, but will be waiting for a model revision? I just get the feeling for something like this, the 3-D screen is still in its infancy, and will be improved vastly in a revision release a year or so down the road.
    (an improvement such as, say, an increased area of which you keep your sight in where the 3-D illusion works)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I believe they mentioned that it was not its final design and just a proto-type, to show the public what they had been working to develop and what they want to give to us in the future, I personally would hope that they switch the D-pad and joysticks spot.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Is there a reason they *need* to swap d-pad/analog other than being unable to initiate the claw ritual for games with bad control designs?
    (also aside from comfort reasons, as we've all yet to actually handle the thing)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I think because how high up the joystick is, if there may be a command that some games may use on the D-pad that your lower thumb my hit when you pull the joy up or down, of course this depends on how sensitive the buttons are, if they're as sensitive as the ones on the DSi then yeah, it could be a problem.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Is there a reason they *need* to swap d-pad/analog other than being unable to initiate the claw ritual for games with bad control designs?
    (also aside from comfort reasons, as we've all yet to actually handle the thing)
    That wasn't an issue. The analog stick was in a very comfortable spot (at least for me) and not once did I accidentally hit the d-pad while playing with it.

The idea that it screws over lefties is a whole different issue that I didn't think about because I am right handed.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

PSP users never complained about it (in the handedness sense), so I assume it's a non-issue.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Last I checked PSP doesn't have a touch screen. The issue is people use the stylus/touch screen with their dominant hand, if lefties play this they won't be able to use the analogue that way.

psp users do complain about not having 2 analogs tho. which any new system (handheld or not) should have

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

peace walker is a perfect example of a game that suffered greatly by not having two analog sticks, the controls could have been SO much better just by adding a second stick, same with any of the portable armored core games

Armoured Core games barely do well with a normal control, I can't imagine that shit on PSP (yes, AC4+ does a lot better, but still...)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Armored Core games are absolutely fine on consoles.
    On PSP though..? Oh hell no.

Armoured Core 2 had a learning curve, I played the hell out of it, but I wouldn't say it was fine control scheme. Armoured Core 4 made a lot of improvements though, so yay for that. I'm just saying I understand how horrible it must be on a PSP, if it took that many fucking games to get it right (4+).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Getting the controls down isn't even a big part of the AC learning curve...
    First one I played was Last Raven (said to be the hardest one, period) and I got my ass torn up so many times but it wasn't due to controls... mostly making shitty ACs.

I got the controls down within a couple of hours of playing... the controls are fine.

AC4 and 4A only control easier because there is less to do

Any game that decides to have core movements and aiming on the shoulder buttons deserves the bad control awards. They wouldn't have fixed it in later games if it wasn't an issue. It's an issue that you can get past sure, but it was an issue all the same.

i would also like it for psp monster hunters for camera purposes

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Any game that decides to have core movements and aiming on the shoulder buttons deserves the bad control awards. They wouldn't have fixed it in later games if it wasn't an issue. It's an issue that you can get past sure, but it was an issue all the same.
    Issue for some but not most people who actually play the games.
    Both control styles are available... at least in the last raven, you can control your AC with analog and control the camera with analog if you so choose but most people don't because d-pad and shoulder buttons is actually better because you are allowed to use the shoulder buttons while jettisoning your parts whereas you can't do the same with the analog stick.

Once again, the controls are fine for what you do in the old Armored Core games. The controls are 'fixed' (really just different, not better) in later iterations because the entire game was made simpler. There are things you simply cannot do in AC4 and 4A that are possible in TLR and because they are removed, they don't need to assign buttons for these actions, obviously.

Let me toss in an edit to clarify really quick here, it's not just the controls that are different in the newer armored cores... the games themselves are just completely different.
    Many of the fans of the older iterations don't even consider them 'Armored Core' games. A phrase you see a lot on many AC message boards is 'true armored core' referring to the PS2 and earlier games.
    Example:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/92820...raven/51146431

I simply disagree, you could get used to the controls, but they were an unnecessary barrier between you and the game. It was only because I had no other games on the PS2 at the time that I actually gave AC a chance, because I know I was put off the stupid controls.

AC is not the first game with a bad control scheme that got in the way of a good game, and it won't be the last.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Please do it

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180098

Square Enix Considering Bringing Final Fantasy V and VI to 3DS

Remember how earlier this year we ran a story saying that Final Fantasy V and VI might never see the light of day on the Nintendo DS because of technical issues? Well, all hope might not be lost for handheld remakes of these two awesome classics -- Siliconera spoke with Square Enix's Shinji Hashimoto at E3 about the possibility of bringing these titles to the Nintendo 3DS instead, and he didn't rule it out.

"No decision has been made," he answered. But added that "Rather than creating [Final Fantasy] V or VI for the current DS we want to take a look to see how 3DS does, how it evolves, and then make a decision."

All signs point to the 3DS being yet another major success for Nintendo, and the hardware is certainly capable of doing both games justice -- let's hope Square Enix seriously considers making this a reality!

omfg plz, I'd even settle for a FF3/4-style remake for regular DS