+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    If you are having heatsoak issues, the first solution shouldn't be a bigger intercooler, but a water sprayer for heavy load situations.
    Mulling over a few ideas. Not necessarily going for a swap for a bigger one, but a more efficient one. More so to increase longevity of the parts. I might not ever see an issue with the oem to be realistic. Also some other ideas floating around with fans and such, but idk right now daily driving probably doesn't require anything.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Never buy a modified car. Never ever buy one with FI.
    The struggle is real. Been in talk with Quixon's friend. Going to make magic happen with some time. +1 to Quix

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Had some questions regarding installing a Sirius unit in a '14 WRX. I know some of you have WRX so if anyone has experience with the following I'd appreciate it. Wall of text incoming.

First, after searching around the internet I've got conflicting reports of whether the OEM antenna on the roof actually supports satellite reception. My gut is telling me no, but some people claim that the '13 and '14 models may support satellite as well depending on where it was assembled. Any truth to that?

Second, placement of the box (when inevitably I'll have to run the wire because the antenna doesn't support satellite). I'd prefer not to have it in the windshield, but wouldn't be so bad if I can hide it behind the rear-view. I've seen mixed opinions on whether this interferes with reception. Some have said hilly areas will cause them to lose signal if it's mounted at the front of the dash or on the windshield. On four hour drives up 17 in NY, in nothing but hills, I'd prefer not to lose signal all the time because I'm going uphill/downhill. Any experiences?

Third, if I were to install it on the roof in the back would the hatch cause trouble? I would assume I can still feed it around the outside or through the weatherstrip and run it along the base/floor of the car without any problems. My only hesitation is that the way the hatch opens would somehow cause a problem.

Fourth, if installed on the roof, is there any way to hide it somewhere? I'd prefer not to have two antenna systems sitting on the top of the roof. I had thought about a sharkfin and hiding it under there if possible, but losing reception/quality in addition to the already mediocre system wasn't enticing.

Last, I've seen mention of getting and installing new head units that are satellite compatible. People say that you're better off this route as you get better sound quality, reception, and features. At the same time, I've also seen people say there there is no good way to keep the steering wheel controls functioning with an aftermarket head unit. What is everyone's opinion on this? Keeping in mind I am in my car frequently for work (it's a daily driver) and use the Bluetooth audio/phone functions often. Losing the steering wheel functions or Bluetooth entirely would put an end to this idea quick.

If anyone also has any suggestions for aftermarket head units I'd at least look at them to see what my options are. I had previously installed an aftermarket HU in my old 1990 Audi I got from my grandparents when I was 18, but that was some time ago and I'm not sure who makes quality products.

tl;dr - Where can I place the Sirius receiver if the OEM antenna does not support it? Will the windshield interfere with reception in some cases? Is there anywhere to hide it if on the roof? Will the hatch function screw me up somehow on install? Any suggestions for aftermarket HUs?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Following up on above TLDR, new head unit installed.

Ran Sirius receiver to roof behind readio antenna on the edge of hatch. Bluetooth mic is run to factory location between the map lights. Kept steering wheel controls and factory USB, but need to solder an AUX plug to keep factory location for AUX. I'll probably do that later this week.

All the sorting and soldering of harness and adapters, running the bluetooth, running the sirius, and removing old/installing new head unit took about 3.5 hours.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

The WRX is on my short list for a new car next year. If it wins I am absolutely going to pester you for pro tips as the stock stereo must go. New head unit looks good, what did you do for speakers/amp?

Also bonus points for the Lrrr keychain.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao View Post
    The WRX is on my short list for a new car next year. If it wins I am absolutely going to pester you for pro tips as the stock stereo must go. New head unit looks good, what did you do for speakers/amp?

Also bonus points for the Lrrr keychain.
    I still have the stock speakers and sub. The HU gives them much better sound. I'll likely upgrade everything slowly, but not going to be able to upgrade anything else for a while.

Recently got a Scion FR-S... will post pics soon!

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Tell San Marcos Toyota to shove it and get that decal off of there.

Nice! +1 to getting that dealer advertisement shit off there lol.

Any plans for it modification wise? I see you have the correct amount of pedals as well. Thumbs up.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

lol hate it when they do shit like that, just like the phone carriers put too many logos like stupid Verizon. Sucks here in the US we didn't get those red trim options for interior like JP did. Grats

I agree that the advertisement is obnoxious. At least I'm going to change the plate frame.

As for modifying it... well the first two things i'm doing is changing those god awful headlights, I found some that look like BRZ lights. And then I'm adding a small lip spoiler.

As soon as I can save some money (probably around Feb. next year), I'm planning on getting the Cosworth Stage 1.3 power kit for it

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Yeah, they tried to stick one of those stickers on my kia. I told them not to do that shit in the first place.

I wish I could find a pic of it online, Ill get one off the street. Evergreen Kia puts a big ass "EVERGREENKIA.COM" print on the back of people's rear windshields, sometimes on the front one. It literally takes up the top half of the windshield. Why would you let them do that to your car.

They had done that before I bought the car; I bought it used. Any idea how to get it off?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

A bunch of places I've seen put hard plastic badges secured with 3M tape on the rear. Simple to remove when it is hot outside, and a little rubbing alcohol on the residue.

I used black plastidip on my other badges.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Weederr33 View Post
    They had done that before I bought the car; I bought it used. Any idea how to get it off?
    Goo-gone

Edit: with that I mean a bit on a rag and use some elbow grease with it. Then wash the area and re-wax it.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Since this is the de facto car thread, figured I'd post this here:

New Mazda MX-5 (Miata)

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2014...da-mx-5-miata/

Stream of event

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mazda-live

IMO the car's ugly. It's way too much like a Toyobaru. NC was last best looking model. I'm sure the drive is fine tho.

If it's 200 WHP or Turbo I'm in. Not worth me trading in my worked NC for less than that. I do love the styling though, and the interior is leaps and bounds above the stock NC trim. It's got hints of FT86, F Type, S2k, Mazdas Kodo Design Language, and a hint of Z4 at the tail.

2200 pounds.... That's lighter than the 2nd gen. Extremely impressive with the new age safety standards in place adding weight to the cars. Lowest center of gravity of any miata and of course 50/50 weight distribution as always. Also, check the skeleton shot, it's basically mid engine now. The entire engine is aft of the front drive axle.

There's rumors they are going up market in price ($30kish). That is a big mistake if they do that, it's the reason the S2K died years ago.

This pretty much solidified me moving forward and throwing a turbo or supercharger on my car though. That'll be cheaper in the long run anyways lol. $30,000 car vs. $7,000ish in parts for a car I already own outright. Going to hammer out those details while I wait for some power specs on this new one.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Quixon View Post
    It's got hints of S2k, and a hint of Z4 at the tail.
    These are what popped into my head at first when I saw it last night. Looked like they took the front body work off a s2000 concept and the rear off the z3/z4

Gorgeous car. Hmm... maybe I'll trade my FR-S for one...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag