+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

ro is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Yeah, cause palette swaps don't exist in RO do they? You don't need to grind tradeskills at all to progress in the game or get rich.

Leveling subjobs is such a quick thing and once you're done with them, you don't ever have to touch them again unless you want to. Hell, if you only play one job, there's a chance you'll only need 2-3 subjobs leveled, and if you play more than 1 job, there's a big chance your subjobs will overlap. Lovely. What happens when you want to flirt with another job? You take it for a spin, easy. What happens when you want to try another job in RO? GRINDAN! Gotta grind more to find out what I like about this job, yay.

NMs are gay in both games, yet I bet you do more grindan in RO.

Money can be hard to come by in both games, yet I bet you do more grindan in RO.

EXP can be hard to get in both games, yet I bet you do more grindan in RO. The people who take a year to max out a job in FFXI would take 5 years to max out a job in RO.

If I'm getting this right, you spent 3 months getting to level 90, then another 4 months getting to 99? Lol, that's exactly the shitty grind I'm talking about, and apparently you're a fast leveler. Oh, was that the first or second time? Doesn't matter.
    Few and very far between palette swaps actually. RO's monster design is the best of any MMO out there. There are hundreds and hundreds of unique looking monsters.

Sure you don't need to grind trade skills in FFXI but if you DO decide to, it's time to grind till your eyeballs bleed.

Leveling subjobs whether "quick" or not are another grind in the game that you HAVE to do. And even if they are fast compared to lvling your main, it's still a ton of time that adds up.

And nope. Money is never hard to come by in RO. That is, money for potions/equipment/etc. Extra stuff is of course going to be hard to acquire. You have to be literally retarded to level and not have enough money to support yourself through. FFXI? you need to grind shit for hours just so you can get basic equipment so you can then grind more shit to level.

Also lol yes if you want to try another job in FFXI you start from level 1 again. In RO it's the same except they don't charge you to make a new character.

Took me 4 months to reach 99 in RO. 1 month for 98 -> 99 mostly because I got lazy as there was no huge benefit to 99ing. FFXI is a slow and terrible grind fest that has a few more bells and whistles than the sea of F2P korean mmos out there. Please stop deluding yourself into thinking it's any better because those 1000+ days you logged into FFXI were spent grinding day in and day out.

RO > FFXI. Please keep it a secret.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

The difference imo, you PT in ff, and it's actually fun to exp, it's not the same as grinding in RO, where you just hit the same mob, over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and a few hours later, hey, you got 50% of a level! or something

EXPing in FF ia lot faster and easier, and can be sped up with really good parties. RO is always a slow ass fucking grind.

Unless you bot :D but even then its a slow grind

You never partied in RO? that's the best way to level. And RO is much faster than FFXI and just completely different combat system wise. RO is much closer to Diablo 2 than to FFXI. I personally enjoy that sort of gameplay much more over slowly hitting the same name-swapped crab in FFXI while trying to fight sleep.

Ryko's Full of Lies and Johns
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryuu Akaneiro
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

FFXI's grind is longer.

If you can cap a job in FFXI within 2 weeks, I'll tip my hat to you. Shit's normal on RO MAIN SERVERS.

Edit: This is obviously assuming you don't sit and play the game for 20 hours out of the day.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

RO was fun way back when, what I dont like about it is how permanent the char developments were. ie. before they allowed stat reset/rebirth, if you put in skill point on the wrong skill, thats it for you, you had to start a new character again if you want to optimize your char.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    RO was fun way back when, what I dont like about it is how permanent the char developments were. ie. before they allowed stat reset/rebirth, if you put in skill point on the wrong skill, thats it for you, you had to start a new character again if you want to optimize your char.
    Diablo 2 was the same way, now I believe they have ways or resetting certain aspects after that final patch they released.

Quote Originally Posted by 100percentile View Post
    Also lol yes if you want to try another job in FFXI you start from level 1 again. In RO it's the same except they don't charge you to make a new character.
    I just have to point this out. You've never played FFXI have you?

Hey, if you think RO is a better game and less of a grind, that's cool. I'll be over here, thanking my lucky stars I'm not you.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Better game..? Subjective.

I'm still playing FFXI but I stopped playing RO ages ago. There's still less grind in RO these days than FFXI for the average person.
    If you're talking astral burns and all sorts of shit like that it's easy enough to say XI has less grind but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that most people are doing these things.

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    Yeah that's true. I myself wasted a bunch of hours on the first alchemist I made.. I was mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I just have to point this out. You've never played FFXI have you?

Hey, if you think RO is a better game and less of a grind, that's cool. I'll be over here, thanking my lucky stars I'm not you.
    Yes I've never played FFXI those memories I have of sitting in Jeuno LFPing for hours must be someone else's.

The fact that you can change the job of your FFXI character and not have to make an entirely new character, is seen as a downside to some as some people like playing with different races/different looking characters.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by 100percentile View Post
    Yes I've never played FFXI those memories I have of sitting in Jeuno LFPing for hours must be someone else's.

The fact that you can change the job of your FFXI character and not have to make an entirely new character, is seen as a downside to some as some people like playing with different races/different looking characters.
    How is that a downside? The biggest thing that I like about FF over RO, is that I can have all the jobs in one character, and fully master it. Having to restart the grind all over just to try a different job out on RO is kinda lame, and the grind to 40/50 job level just to try out the 2nd job is also lame

Maybe they upped exp recently, but back in the days, it was slow and repetitive as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    Better game..? Subjective.

I'm still playing FFXI but I stopped playing RO ages ago. There's still less grind in RO these days than FFXI for the average person.
    If you're talking astral burns and all sorts of shit like that it's easy enough to say XI has less grind but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that most people are doing these things.
    I am

Anyway, I still like RO, but I think you're crazy if you think it's less of a grind than 11 =/

Also, .0001% drop rates

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    the grind to 40/50 job level just to try out the 2nd job is also lame
    You level your sub job along with your main job unlike in FFXI where you have to stop your progress to level your sub job. It's much better than FFXI in that aspect. Sooo I don't know what you're talking about?

Also, .0001% drop rates
    You mean .01%? that's only for cards. Why? to accomodate for the game's pace. If the drop rates were 1-10% everyone would have every card (including MvP cards) within days. In RO it takes you about 10 seconds to kill a monster you are equipped to fight. In FFXI it's considerably longer.

The pacing of both games are very different. FFXI has down time eveywhere in everything you do. Every action has a down time which makes the game an even bigger time sink than it already is. Looking for a party is a huge down time, walking all the way back to your home town just to get some new equipment is a down time, walking back to change your job, etc.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Remix this in 2 and I'm sold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqijsweJzFQ

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Brings back memories :<

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    Remix this in 2 and I'm sold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqijsweJzFQ
    <3 this theme.

I used to run a private server 4 or 5 years back when it was all awesome. Steady population of 200ish players, forum with 100k+ posts, all that jazz. I kept it going for over a year and a half and raked in $2000-3000 in "donations" each month -- that shit was wack!

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

wow seriously?

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

derp, forgot to x100

I knew it sounded off for some reason, but .01% drop rate is still pretty freaking ridiculous. I know that if it were much higher it would make it "too easy" and people would cap out faster, but the endless grind for days to get one drop drives me insane

someone find me culvert bgm

good times

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    ro is serious business
    For emphasis.

Might talk to some of the old iRO Chaos GOLD people, see if they're interested in getting into the beta as a small group.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

when i was still playing on official server, hunting cards was a chore but it felt so good when it drops, esp. if it's MVP card.

dopple card 1 billion zeny goooooooo

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    <3 this theme.

I used to run a private server 4 or 5 years back when it was all awesome. Steady population of 200ish players, forum with 100k+ posts, all that jazz. I kept it going for over a year and a half and raked in $2000-3000 in "donations" each month -- that shit was wack!
    imdRO??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast