+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    New Odin
    BG Level

Yeah I played X-2 with my PS2 pad and had no problems. Just had to tweak the settings a bit to make it run smoothly.

Torrented/used the original disc for the games, no links sorry.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SaviorSelf View Post
    What's a good emulator for PS2 games these days? The 3 PS2's I have are barely functional at this point.

Edit: After some google-fu, this seems complicated. Need to mount an ISO of the game and let it sit in your DVD drive? What if I have the actual disc, can that be played on an emulator? I think I have it still...
    What's wrong with your PS2s? If it's laser-based, you may still be able to use them with a few workarounds. You'd first have to get FMCB on a memory card somehow and then you'd be able to play games from a computer via a FAT32 HD by way of ethernet. It's kind of complicated, but as far as I know it doesn't use the laser at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post
    What's wrong with your PS2s? If it's laser-based, you may still be able to use them with a few workarounds. You'd first have to get FMCB on a memory card somehow and then you'd be able to play games from a computer via a FAT32 HD by way of ethernet. It's kind of complicated, but as far as I know it doesn't use the laser at all.
    I haven't touched them in years, but last I recalled one would refuse to play any games (No disc error) but played movies fine for some reason, and the other one only played a few games. I don't remember what's wrong with the third one, but maybe I'll give it a try. Gamestop sells refurbed ones for 50 bucks only, seems less complicated.

Thanks for all the info so far though.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

and as long as ur warranty seal is in tact, they will give u some credit for those

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SaviorSelf View Post
    I haven't touched them in years, but last I recalled one would refuse to play any games (No disc error) but played movies fine for some reason, and the other one only played a few games. I don't remember what's wrong with the third one, but maybe I'll give it a try. Gamestop sells refurbed ones for 50 bucks only, seems less complicated.

Thanks for all the info so far though.
    no prob, it really is kind of complicated and requires a lot of individual things that can be a pain to deal with in order to work well, but I figured I'd mention it just in case since it's also a method to play the Zodiac/International version on any model of PS2 without having to mod hardware

The last PS3 worked! Now I just need to get a component cable unless I wanna play games in black and white. Should be here in a few days :D

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Who do you people use in 12? I used Ashe Vaan and someone, idr who, my first time around.

I'm staring at the XII box in my entertainment center and considering giving it another go, but idk.

I'd want to use new characters but Penelo is annoying as fuck and is Fran even worth using?

MOST RAD.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pupuru Puru
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

62 hours in and just past B.Port but I'm having a lot of fun. I guess I spend a lot of time exploring/completing the hunts/grinding. I think I've only fleed from battles like 4 times with one being running through necrohol to pick up the spear after the tomb, but I tried for like 1hr -2hr trying to kill the mobs in there at Lv.37-38 before running the gauntlet, and one other while I was soloing/kiting with Vaan in the beginning against those giza werewolfs (I was like: "oh fuck yeah" when I saw a katana drop off one). I like how the game allows for some additional areas to be explored with tougher mobs than going through the required story areas.

Soon as Penelo was available as a perma member I dropped the three dudes and went FFXII-2 with it. Lv. 64 with the ladies and 31's for the dudes. Ashe in the lead with Zodiac Spear and Fran with Sagittarius and Penelo with Fomalhaut in the back buffing/healing. Although I just beat Gilgamesh and switched Fran to masamune and dropped gun for bow on Penelo and the whole thing flows easier for some reason.

I've been pretty good about not killing the game with guides and concerning myself with the absolute best min/maxing. Hunts are great and I'm always heading back to towns to check the boards after every little story progression. I also go exploring to see which areas just opened up for me to kill shit in and complete maps. I had tons of fun when north estersand, highwaste, salikawood, necrohol and deadlands first became available. All the boss fights have been pretty fun and the espers are a blast to go against. I find myself constantly editing the gambits for fights/mobs and changing strategies and I love it. I've been pretty bad about not finishing FF games (except for FFX-2 for some reason) and getting bored from the grinding I put myself through. FFXII's battle and character development systems makes grinding more bearable and sometimes even fun.

Anyways, Penelo is the best character. Fuck the haters.

New Odin
    BG Level

A bit OT but what's so great about vagrant story? I tried to get into it once but the graphics really turned me off, and it had that dungeon crawler feel with no open areas which I didn't like either.

The combat was cool though. How is the story?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    A bit OT but what's so great about vagrant story? I tried to get into it once but the graphics really turned me off, and it had that dungeon crawler feel with no open areas which I didn't like either.

The combat was cool though. How is the story?
    Almost Tactics-tier story wise.

New Odin
    BG Level

Awesome, that should keep me hooked.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Awesome, that should keep me hooked.
    It's basically the same style of political/religious tyranny and the movement against it.

I need to go play Vagrant Story. It's the dude's run speed that turns me off from the game of all things.

My XII party is Basch, Ashe, and Fran. Gave Basch the Z.Spear after running through the Necrohol soon as I could to get it and got Ashe tanking Sword+Shield with Fran in support with Bow.

Need to level Fran up though, had Penelo in support with daggers for a while but really need a ranged to keep out of trouble and AoEs and I've not really bothered with the Weapon Licences much.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

for 12 I had every up, isnt that hard to level up and switch parties really. Really helps for the super hunts too.

Vagrant Story: I had no issues with the speed of the char, as the game progresses (don't remember if it was a spell or item) but you can walk faster.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

@Tekki, you might like the first two Suikoden games if you liked the story in FFT. They're 2D old schoolly looking PSX games. The stories aren't some grand teenagers saving the world thing. They're about small regional political conflicts. If you can find them anyway, they're pretty rare and extremely expensive used.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

just so people can see what the game looks like in "hq"
    spoilered for HUEG

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by evilpaul View Post
    @Tekki, you might like the first two Suikoden games if you liked the story in FFT. They're 2D old schoolly looking PSX games. The stories aren't some grand teenagers saving the world thing. They're about small regional political conflicts. If you can find them anyway, they're pretty rare and extremely expensive used.
    Used to make side cash off going around garage sells and close out businesses in the PS1 hay day and buy rares and resell them. I've owned about 10+ copies of both and never played them haha.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    spoilered for HUEG
    Spoiler: show

Ack! Needs some anti-aliasing! Otherwise looks nice though.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Vagrant Story is a big mindfuck storywise - in a good way. Highly recommended.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    spoilered for HUEG
    nice!

Vagrant Story's draw really is like 90% story, but the weapons and art style are big for me too. The chain attacks can be fun, but if you do them too much they start to penalize you so sometimes there's a little strategy involved in which weapons and attacks to choose from and when to stop.