1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 25 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 34 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 25 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Map of Eorzea     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I was definitely hoping it would be more wide open desert. That looks really similar to Tahongri, like identical in that picture.

I loved Attowha Chasm looking back on it, it was one of those zones that truly creeped me out when walking through.

If La Noscea was any indication I would bet Thanalan will have tons of secret tunnels and passages underground.

It's just huge...I like it very very much as it'll make it more realistic to travel around a continent

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I'm sure there will be some wide open desert somewhere. If the region is as big as La Noscea there's plenty room. Plus there's Paglth'an just east of Thanalan which looks like a flat desert area.

I liked Attowha and Tahrongi. Ul'dah becomes more tempting. Especially if I'm going to play sun-worshipping catgirl.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I was able to make out the remaining places on the map. The place to the west of Aldenard appears to be "The Farreach", south of that is "Agalatia's Spine" (Spine is probably correct, but the first part is a guess). The river south of Ishgard is the "White Maiden" Southwest of Mor Dhol appears to be "Carteneav Flats" and "Dinderfoot River", also both best guesses at what the missing letters are. South of Ul'dah is "Cape Caedwind".

Here's a link to the map from the official FFXIV website that I used to get the place names, in the event that someone else wants to take a look at the names.

Put the map in spoiler tags this time because it's too big for my monitor.

I also updated the original post with the new map.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Clarification: I'm sure I've read elsewhere that it's Sharlayan rather than Sharlavan, and that this is a Duskwight settlement, but I was unable to find the place where I got the information or the alphabet key. I'm not sure if this is correct, just asking for clarification/confirmation.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lithiani View Post
    I liked Attowha and Tahrongi. Ul'dah becomes more tempting. Especially if I'm going to play sun-worshipping catgirl.
    Ul'dah is basically Las Vegas, and therefore awesome.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kachi View Post
    Clarification: I'm sure I've read elsewhere that it's Sharlayan rather than Sharlavan, and that this is a Duskwight settlement, but I was unable to find the place where I got the information or the alphabet key. I'm not sure if this is correct, just asking for clarification/confirmation.
    It's difficult to tell. I initially decided it was a v when the map I was using wasn't the highest quality, but with the better quality map, it does seem like it could be both. The problem is that the letter in Sharlayan appears to be as big as the letters next to it (a). A v would not be as tall as the letter a, as shown by the v in Dravania. The letter y is usually more clearly defined, though. If you look at Vylbrand, you can see that it has a clear tail that extends below the bottom line. The letter in Sharlayan may have a small tail or simply the point of a v.

Even with that, Sharlayan not only sounds better, but I believe it was also posted in reference to something in the FFXIV story, so I made a mistake. Thanks for the correction.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

This pic sort of shows whats around each area, so...

Kinda gives you a choice!

Forest/jungle
    Desert or.. a giant grassy field!

Wonder if the crawlers will make a come back wondering gridania and tunnel worms in ul'dah >.>

New Odin
    BG Level

The Black Shroud looks quite compact for an MMO area, compared to La Noscea and Thanalan. I wonder if there is more open space there, or if it's just a Windurst 2.0 as far as the area layout goes.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I really would rather if they would just mark the maps using the language of the client you're using. I know it adds more to the "feel" of the world, but frankly maps are intended to be used for a practical purpose. And that is undercut if we can't read their goofy ass language.

The translations are nice though. Has anyone translated the in-game field maps? I know there's lots of writing all over those maps as well next to roads and things.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    I really would rather if they would just mark the maps using the language of the client you're using. I know it adds more to the "feel" of the world, but frankly maps are intended to be used for a practical purpose. And that is undercut if we can't read their goofy ass language.

The translations are nice though. Has anyone translated the in-game field maps? I know there's lots of writing all over those maps as well next to roads and things.
    I agree (about the language). If I was looking for a location, deciphering cryptic text isn't something I want to be doing. Hopefully the maps are language-readable at release.

As for the other maps, they're NDA breaking material, so they can't be posted until that's lifted.

thanks for the map ! i put it as background.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonel View Post
    la noscea is freakin' huge. i couldn't cover it all in one sitting of gaming for a few hours. seeing the map like this in comparison to la noscea is nice. i'll admit, i'm a little intimidated and excited to roam around exploring these areas. can't wait.
    huge compared to FFXI you mean ?

once you get to bloodshore or that other western camp there s not much left to explore, and you ve done half of la noscea.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Hope they change the font in game, its damn near unreadable.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

I dont think the font is ment to be readable or to be redone for different languages
    its just graphics on the map Im sure they will have a UI overlayed in retail

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

It's the written language of their world/area lol, it's like going to Japan and complaining you can't read kana.

People have tried to translate Eorzea font though I think >.>

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Detozi Deis
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It's definitely not readable right off the bat, but since it is just the English language in a weird font you can learn to read it. I changed the font I use for my Office Communication System to the Eorzean font, now I can read it just fine. Wouldn't expect others to put in this kind of effort though, and it's still a pain to read when the font is small.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

^
    whoa, hardcore lol...well at least the map scrolls faster now in phase 3

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Blade's Edge

Hopefully, we won't be expected to scramble through high level areas in our underwear to get to the central city, this time.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Kitoro View Post
    Hopefully, we won't be expected to scramble through high level areas in our underwear to get to the central city, this time.
    whats wrong with running around in our underwear!? mmm miqo'te running around near naked everywhere...