+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Abyssea NM Weaknesses     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Abyssea NM Weaknesses

I know, there's a lot of Abyssea threads already. But I think this topic would be a big help to figuring this out more clearly. If you get any information on an NM weakness please go ahead and post in this thread.

Helpful info includes:
    -what color was the weakness exclamation icon?
    -what job was the player who first interacted with the NM?
    -what action seemed to trigger the weakness?
    -what effect did the weakness seem to have?
    -what drops did you receive?

Enemy Weaknesses:
    In case you haven't looked into Abyssea info, all or most NMs have different weaknesses that can be triggered by using some kind of action on them, like flash, or a weaponskill. When a weakness is triggered a double exclamation graphic, "!!", will appear above the NMs head.

http://i35.tinypic.com/wb8mr6.jpg

What We Know From Game Text:
    Here's what the various Abyssea related NPCs have to say regarding weakness:
    Spoiler: show

Atma NPC text -
    For only the most savage creatures, you see, are known to yield atma. And if you thought that weren't trial enough, only by employing special combat strategies will atma be yours to own.

Atma-yielding monsters are known to have vulnerabilities that, if exploited, may result in a swift end to the confrontation.

Strike at a foe's weakness, and it will drop different spoils, often more valuable than usual. Among them you may find atma.

The vulnerabilities can broadly be divided into three categories: magic attacks, physical-based weapon skills, and magic-based weapon skills.

For instance, there are monsters known to be weak against magic-based weapon skills. Inflicting such damage upon them will impair their movement, and you may consequently be rewarded with atma.

All living creatures, however, possess the capacity to adapt, and vulnerabilities have been observed to change. Be wary if you wish not to discover to your sorrow that a once-foolproof strategy no longer applies.

Besting such fell creatures is in itself a harrowing task, and becomes even more so if procuring atma is your objective.

But should fortune smile upon you and you find yourself in possession of atma, bring it here. I will see that it serves you well.

LaTheine NPC text -
    If you've a mind to outlive your peers, then heed my words. When engaged in combat with an Abyssean monster, you would be well advised to exploit its weakness.

While massive damage may not be dealt in so doing, you'll most likely succeed in impairing the movement and abilities of your foe.

Know also that changes have been observed to occur depending on your choice of killing blow. Do not be shy to experiment should the opportunity present itself.

Konschtat NPC text -
    When squaring off in combat with the Abyssean hordes, you'll want to identify and exploit their weaknesses.

Even the most fearsome fiends can be stopped dead in their tracks, or scared so witless they forget their most potent abilities. The trick is in learning how.

You'll also want to experiment with finishing off your foes in creative ways. Don't ask me why, but it's said there are rewards to be had this way.

Effects:
    The NPC seems to imply that hitting a weakness can cause Atma to drop.
    "Strike at a foe's weakness, and it will drop different spoils, often more valuable than usual. Among them you may find atma."
    It's vague enough that it could imply Atma or equipment drops as well. But it's hard to say, and the only way to find out would be to keep track I guess. The text also suggests (and players have observed) that while some weaknesses can impair it's movement, another can limit its skills, and some have said that a weakness has made some NMs even more powerful.

Types of Weaknesses:
    There's different colored weakness graphics that can show up when weakness is triggered. It's not entirely clear if different colors mean anything. Different colors could signify different types of weaknesses. Or perhaps it could change color depending on how tolerant the NM has grown to repeated uses of its weakness. Has anyone found these graphics in the .dats to see exactly how many/what colors exist in all? I think we know there's at least red/green/blue/yellow.

Possible Limitations:
    Another natural question to wonder is, what kind of scope can an NM weakness lie within? The worst case scenario would be that an NM can spawn with ANY random action as its weakness. That would give you the smallest likelihood of happening upon a weakness and make it very influenced by luck. Iirc, we do know that weaknesses are tier specific. Meaning something like Fire II could trigger a weakness, where Fire I and Fire III wouldn't. (pretty sure that was confirmed correct me if I'm wrong)

It's worth considering whether an NMs weakness may be able to be influenced by any of these kinds of things:

-Job of the player that first interacts with the NM.
    -Jobs of only players within the party/alliance that is fighting the NM.
    -Weakness type of the same light that your party last gained before claiming NM (probably not, or at least Square didn't mention this in their lights Q&A)
    -Each specific NM may have its own limited pool of weaknesses.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Kalahmari:

I was first contact, on thief.
    Fought as a trio, Thief, Rdm, Dnc.
    Triggered a Yellow !! 2x in a row using Bio II on it.

No noticeable change in behavior, Got Viking Helm and crafting item, nothing else.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Mangy-tailed Marvin:
    Red !! - Tachi: Jinpu

Lugahroo:
    Yellow !! - Bio II

Bakka:
    Blue !! - Heavy Shot

Khalamari:
    Blue !! - Heavy Shot

Chukwa:
    Green !! - Blizzard III

Cuelebre:
    Yellow !! - Aspir

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmir Rainteau
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Khalamari:
    Energy Drain - Red (!!)
    Tachi: Jinpu - Red (!!)

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Had Piasa which triggered blue weakness graphic. Hard to say what caused it from log it went so fast, but might have been water shot or sidewinder. Sam/nin had pulled it. Dropped sheild and choker.

Edit: weakness activated at least twice.

Pantagruel:
    Evisceration Blue (!!)

Didn't seem to do anything special, no atma, no stun, no key item. it did drop gigas monster family items for desynth (helm, gauntlets) never seen him drop those before.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Brooder, Bio II. (Green !!)

Mictlantecuhtli
    Seraph Blade (PLD) - Red !!

Terrorized him, PLD also claimed.

Gancanagh
    Gekko - Blue !!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Mictlantecuhtli
    Fire III (Green !!), puller = RDM

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm guessing this is the thread to post it on...
    We fought Eccentric Eve yesterday, our poper was RDM but PLD was first one to act on it, we did trigger a green !!. But here is the interesting part; we only had 1 SCH in the whole alliance, and the green !! triggered after the -second- Libra was used, but not the 1st one. It was a bit shocking because I didn't know Libra could trigger any !! (I guess it's considered an offencive ja?) and then howcome it didn't trigger anything the 1st time it was used? (Considering EE is not your average poped NM, could it be that the triggering actions/spells rotate on a timer?).

To reinforce that crazy theory, we did Kukulkan too, while our only DDs were RNGs and DRK, we did have RDM/BLM/WHM/SCH/BRDs present and I asked them to use every single spell (for mages and the DRK) and all WSs for melee, but still were unsuccessful triggering any !! on Kukulkan at all, we even held it @10%sh trying to trigger something with no success. While there weren't enough WSs to select from RNGs and DRKs (and the Tanks lol) for anything conclusive, we had all the spells at our disposal and nothing triggered any !!. Peraphs we were just unlucky and the weakness was a WS which we didn't have at our disposal.

Drops from EE were: Danzo Sune-Ate, Great Axe Hachimaki, Khroma Ore (Green !! = Synth maths drops?) and some random old Gems
    No !! on Kukulkan but we still got the Belt + Bow headband, x2 fangs and a Flourite.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I think it's becoming obvious that

Yellow !! = Dark Magic
    Green !! = Elemental Magic
    Blue !! = Physical Weaponskill
    Red !! = Magic Weaponskill

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Chukwa:

BLM + RDM. BLM pulled.
    Yellow !! = Freeze 1 (casted only once)

Siege bow and 2x eggs. Did not notice whether he stopped using TP moves. No key item for the puller.

Maybe we should also include how many times during the fight we activated the trigger?

i got a "dumb" question but do these "!!" show up even if you gear swap during spells/ws? kinda like you can't see the skillchain animation when you swap stuff. Coz i fought my share of NM's so far and have yet to see any "!!" :<

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    i got a "dumb" question but do these "!!" show up even if you gear swap during spells/ws? kinda like you can't see the skillchain animation when you swap stuff. Coz i fought my share of NM's so far and have yet to see any "!!" :<
    That might explain why i've never seen it on brooder despite casting bio on it around 100 times.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is it possible that it only cycles through 4 possible choices? Dark magic, elemental magic, physical, elemental weaponskill? that would be much nicer if this were the case...

Mictlantecuhtli
    Thunder 3 (BLM) - Green !!

No noticeable effect. Claimed by PLD.

Edit: Might be worth noting it was lightningday.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I saw a yellow !! on Yearner, but I have no idea who did it and with what since there was like 17 people on it.

Of the 20 or so Hungerers I've killed solely with Elemental Magic, I haven't seen one !! at all.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Khalamari - claimed by THF. Jinpu = red !! and dispel = green !!. Dropped Viking helm, Damascene cloth, forbidden key, a blue chest with temporary items inside and all pt members received Atma of the Drifter. Red caused terror effect, SAM reported increased damage resistance after green was triggered. Setup was RDM THF SAM.

I enjoy tapping my sisters fine ass
    BG Level

Khalamari -Fought him 3 times today sam/brd/rdm
    on third and only the third got blue !! 4x using Gekkos.
    Nothing dropped.

Sam claimed first and third bard claimed second

It was fires day on the third

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Lugarhoo - Blue !! from Asuran Fists.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 71 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast