Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Bone/tooth coming through gum?

Woke up this morning with a pain like fuck in the lower front corner of my mouth. I sprang to my bathroom mirror to see what was the matter, and lo and behold I see a small piece of bone(tooth?) poking through my gums below my front corner tooth. Is this my gum receding, or my tooth poking through or what? Do I have to see the dentist? I really don't like the dentist.

Tonko

A pic would help, your descriptions are kind of vague.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

It's kind of hard to take a picture of... Imagine the tip of a needle coming through below one of your teeth through the gum. Small, white, barely raised but hurts like hell.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

dentist, asap. dont fuck around with this.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Shit happens. I had a wisdom tooth removed in late February and the it was so embedded that the guy had to break it up in the gum and pull all the pieces out one by one. Didn't get them all and the hole wouldn't fully heal until my body pushed all of the pieces out by itself. Every 4-5 weeks I'd get a sharp piece of tooth sticking up through smooshy, half-healed wisdom hole, lol.

Last one came out about a month ago. Doesn't hurt, shit happens, etc. Hole healed up fine.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I was pissed about it and I won't go back but there was no actual harm done by the pieces being left in my gums.

No Pants, No Problem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My mom just had this, it looked horrible, caused her a great deal of pain cause she kept putting it off. Eventually she went to the Dentist and they removed the tooth. They also told her she has some sort of bone issue where it's deteriorating so she's having surgery in Oct to remove all her top teeth.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    My mom just had this, it looked horrible, caused her a great deal of pain cause she kept putting it off. Eventually she went to the Dentist and they removed the tooth. They also told her she has some sort of bone issue where it's deteriorating so she's having surgery in Oct to remove all her top teeth.
    Wow that really sucks... would hate to find out I had to get all my teeth removed =/

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Oh my god, are you serious?!!! Right now it's a small thing causing mild pain, that's it.... But it hurts. How long did she wait?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Is it in the back where wisdom teeth would be? Sometimes wisdom teeth come in sideways or crooked and they start to poke out like that. It's no big deal until it finished growing and is pushing all your other teeth into each other, which causes pain etc.

If it's your gums receding, that's bad and you need a dentist. If its bone poking out, that's bad and you need a dentist.

That's 2/3 being something you need a dentist for asap. I'd just go to one asap and get it checked out.

LurkaKitty

Your pain descriptions contradict each other imo lol. "pain like a fuck" then "a mild pain".

Anyway, if you`re going to a dentist and they refer you to an oral surgeon, make sure it`s a good one. My mom`s a retired dental assistant and she won`t let me see any oral surgeons but a couple. Like someone said with wisdom teeth, shit can go bad. That`s not the worst that can happen, you could have had your jaw paralyzed lol.

Robbb

I would see the dentist so they can take an x-ray and see whats up. Did you by any chance have a tooth pulled around that area at any time? It could be a bone fragment finally making is way to the surface. A lot of weird things could happen, you could have an extra tooth there or another tooth under it even if its a permanent tooth. I'm a dental assistant and have seen some pretty weird things. I'd rinse with some warm salt water until you can get to the dentist, should help some.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

In the case of a tooth sticking out through my gums, I would most definitely go to the dentist.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by lurkakitty View Post
    Your pain descriptions contradict each other imo lol. "pain like a fuck" then "a mild pain".

Anyway, if you`re going to a dentist and they refer you to an oral surgeon, make sure it`s a good one. My mom`s a retired dental assistant and she won`t let me see any oral surgeons but a couple. Like someone said with wisdom teeth, shit can go bad. That`s not the worst that can happen, you could have had your jaw paralyzed lol.
    It's sort of settled down a bit but still hurts. It's in the front, so I'm sure it isn't wisdom teeth. And no, no prior removal or anything in the area.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I would say just go make an appointment with dentist right away in monday morning. You wouldn't know is it really had nothing to do with wisdom teeth or not. Like me, I never had wisdom teeth problem until the dentist told me that one of the tooth does cause the bacteria infection on my gum, which results I can't even open my mouth to eat for few days.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's extremely rare but sometimes a third dentition can come in. Typically everyone has their set of baby teeth, and gradually lose them as they mature into adolescence and adulthood, the second and usually final set grows in, but sometimes people lose a baby tooth, and the next one that grows in, and ANOTHER one comes in, or another one begins to erupt from the gums in front of or behind a pre-existing tooth. Unless you're a shark, you're a shark... this is exceedingly rare, so see your dentist at any rate and let them evaluate it, probably visually first and then confirming anything with x-rays.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I'd say ignore it.

I'm sure the additional tooth or bone that is protruding from your gums will go away eventually.

Spoiler: show
    you're fucking retarded

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Clearly this means that your body is absorbing maximum amounts of nutrients and producing brand new extra white teeth to replace yellow dirty ones. If left untreated, it can result in the greatest smile ever.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Well I mean this wasn't me asking for advice whether to go or not, just what it might be so I know either to panic or to just swallow any negative predictions and see what happens when i get to the dentist monday.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Remember, you only have one set of teeth, they're worth every penny.
    I chipped my tooth a week ago and got it filled, only to find out I need a mouth guard, but they are worth it. I was grinding and my teeth are already feeling better from using a mouth guard at night.

Sounds like a wisdom tooth. Do you have gum decay? Do you smoke?

Stop packing lippers and go see a dentist