http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/692221

Zealot nerf instead of CB nerf... BLIZZZAAAAAAAAAARD! /anguishedjew

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I said it in the other thread, but most changes are good. Zealots push was too strong, and make retarded PvP games. Tank deserved a nerf as well. Light unit surviving a single attack is going to help greatly

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

For those too lazy to click the link here is the info.

Spoiler: show
    Greetings, citizens of the Koprulu sector! StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is celebrating its one-month anniversary and we’re extremely excited to witness the amazing community that’s come together around the game. To that end, we want you to know we are hard at work on the first feature and balance patch, and expect to have it completed and available by the middle of September. Patch 1.1 will contain a number of improvements including additional mod features, Editor improvements and bug fixes, some custom game improvements, support for NVIDIA’s 3D Vision, and more. We'd also like to share some specific plans for this patch with you.

To begin, we've heard a lot of feedback from our global community about standardized hotkey options. We're happy to announce that in patch 1.1 we are going to make the Standard (US) and Standard for Lefties (US) hotkey options available in all regions.

Balance Changes

We have several balance changes in store. One general change we're making is that friendly units will no longer provide vision after being killed. Enemy units previously revealed will no longer be targetable. Now let's break down the additional balance changes we're implementing.

Maps

We're going to be adding destructible rocks to the Desert Oasis map to make natural expansions easier to protect. In addition, the center map watchtower area is being narrowed.

Protoss

We have two key changes in mind for the zealot: the build time is being increased from 33 to 38 seconds, and the warpgate cooldown is being increased from 23 to 28 seconds. Zealot rushes are currently too powerful at various skill levels, particularly those that rely on rapidly assaulting an enemy base from nearby "proxy" gateways. We feel the window players have to scout for and fend off this rush is too small. We also want to address the problem of protoss being able to dump minerals a bit too quickly with the combination of warpgates and Chrono Boost.

Terran

There are several changes in the works for terrans. Reapers against zerg are stronger than expected. Due to the zealot build time increase, reapers would be a bit problematic in combination with proxy barracks, bunkers, and/or marauders against protoss. Therefore, we have decided to increase the build time of reapers as well from 40 to 45 seconds. Fast reaper + bunker, or fast marine + bunker rushes are problematic against zerg. Although this rush would never outright destroy the zerg player, we feel zerg suffers too much of a disadvantage from either having to cancel the fast expansion, or getting trapped inside the main base for too long, so we are also increasing the bunker build time from 30 to 35 seconds.

Siege tanks in large numbers are performing too well in all matchups. In the mid- to late-game, siege tanks are too dominant against all ground units. We want a small set of light and unarmored ground units to perform better against siege tanks. With this in mind, we're changing the Siege Mode damage of the siege tank from 50 to 35, +15 vs. armored; to correspond with this, damage upgrades will be changed from +5 to +3, +2 vs. armored. This change reduces the base damage of the siege tank against light and unarmored units, as well as the splash damage.

Battlecruisers currently lack good counters from the ground and still perform very well against a wide array of unit types. We're aware that it is not easy to get battlecruisers out for the cost, but at the same time, it is possible in both 1v1s and team games to create stalemate situations to bring them out. Overall, we feel that battlecruisers are too strong for their cost, and the terran-forced stalemate situations are causing less interesting gameplay. We will be lowering their damage against ground units from 10 to 8.

Zerg

Ultralisk damage is being decreased from 15, +25 vs. armored to 15, +20 vs. armored. This reduction is comparable to the changes being made to the battlecruiser and siege tank. Like the battlecruiser, ultralisks are simply too powerful for the cost, even though they are difficult to muster. Also, in combination with other units, ultralisks are difficult to counter from the ground. The ultralisk building attack (Ram) is being removed because the damage rate is too similar to its normal attack, which will be used against buildings instead. When ultralisks target tightly packed smaller buildings such as supply depots, the Ram attack is actually outputting considerably less overall damage than its normal attack, as Ram only hits a single target.

And Beyond...

We are reading your posts on the forums and creating lists of features and bugs to address in future patches. We have mid- to long-term plans to further evolve the Custom Game experience, and soon, enhance our social features with the addition of chat channels. We will be sharing more specific information in the coming weeks. As with all of our previous games, we will support StarCraft II for many years to come. Your feedback and participation is critical in making this not only the best game it can be, but also the most engaged gaming community in the world. We look forward to the implementation of patch 1.1, as well as sharing our plans for our future gameplay and Battle.net features.

We'll see you online!

TLDR Version

Maps:
    We're going to be adding destructible rocks to the Desert Oasis map to make natural expansions easier to protect. In addition, the center map watchtower area is being narrowed.

Protoss:
    Zealot build time is being increased from 33 to 38 seconds, and the warpgate cooldown is being increased from 23 to 28 seconds.

Terran:
    Increased the build time of reapers as well from 40 to 45 seconds.
    Increased the bunker build time from 30 to 35 seconds.
    Siege Mode damage of the siege tank from 50 to 35, +15 vs. armored
    Lowering battlecruiser damage against ground units from 10 to 8.

Zerg:
    Ultralisk damage is being decreased from 15, +25 vs. armored to 15, +20 vs. armored.
    The ultralisk building attack (Ram) is being removed because the damage rate is too similar to its normal attack.

Interesting changes and although I don't like the ultra change(because I play zerg no less) I will happily trade that for less tank damage, slower zealot pushes and slower reapers in a heartbeat.

A. Body
    BG Level

that ultra nerf is the smallest nerf of them all lol, especially considering the building attack is actually a buff

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yea, I think Zerg was the weakest of the 3 races at this point, so it's kinda good they didn't get any nerfs. I know for sure that I find PvZ matchups the easiest.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Zealot build time is being increased from 33 to 38 seconds, and the warpgate cooldown is being increased from 23 to 28 seconds.
    i don't mind this in theory, especially in the long term, but a 5/6 pool will almost certainly destroy protoss like 90% of the time, as is it's not always easy to get out a zealot before the lings are in your base

other than that particular concern i totally agree with all of the changes to zealots and the rest of the units, especially tanks.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Ramor View Post
    i don't mind this in theory, especially in the long term, but a 5/6 pool will almost certainly destroy protoss like 90% of the time, as is it's not always easy to get out a zealot before the lings are in your base

other than that particular concern i totally agree with all of the changes to zealots and the rest of the units, especially tanks.
    I doubt so, 3 sec (on chrono boost) isnt even close to the time frame you get from different map. Even in the smallest 1v1 map, it shouldnt make a huge difference, and a 6pool zerg is a freebies win once you survive

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

3 extra seconds means the 6 zerglings attack 4 extra times comfortably. That's 6x6x4 = 144 extra damage to probes or 5x6x4 = 120 extra damage to buildings.

I don't have a lot of gaming experience but I enjoy theorycrafting a lot and this is a pretty significant buff to any early aggression against a toss by terran or zerg.

LazyShell
    BG Level

That judgement is not necessarily true. You are assuming 3 extra seconds of build time equates to 3 extra seconds of unadulterated damage, which is just not the case. Defending a 6 pool is often a lot about getting a block off, at which point the 6 pool becomes an instant lose no matter how early the lings get there. If a zealot is in a small enough choke and on hold position, it will never ever be cost effective or timely to break it. On most maps, the 3/5 second nerf will not affect whether or not a zealot is able to block in time for a 6 pool. That calculation itself really factors in the timing of the gateway more than the speed zealots build anyways.

It is a buff to early zerg aggression for sure, but 6 pool is not going to be a standard build against protoss. A later zealot doesn't change the fact that a 6 pool is an extremely risky build, that can be beaten very easily by certain common builds (10 gate or early forge builds) and even still loses to common economic builds like 13 gate when they are micro'd well. I don't see how this slight nerf changes that formula at all.

If anything, early terran aggression does seem like it will be stronger to me. Early 1-2 marauder + 1 marine aggression can be annoying enough to deal with as it is when you are trying to do a fairly standard 1gate core strategy, and the disadvantage of a later zealot only adds up over time. The first may be 5 seconds later (you don't usually chrono boost gateways in such an economic build), but the second is going to be 10 seconds later and the third will be 15. This starts to be a significant shift, and it may mean the crucial difference of 1-2 zealots being missing which makes early marauder aggression very difficult to deal with (particularly if proxied).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

@thunder
    Yeah, but they wont be attacking comfortably with your probe around to harass them. If they attack a building, your probe get a free hit. Block your entrance with a pilon to make sure no more reinforment get in and you're set.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I wasn't implying the zerg gets a free 150 damage or anything xD just wanted to illustrate the magnitude of what can happen in 3 seconds. Can't deny that in any game you face early aggression you wouldn't take more damage had your zealot came out 3 seconds later!

I see a lot of people shrugging off the 5 second build time tagged onto reapers/bunkers/zealot because relatively 5 seconds is really really short to people. But in-game it equates to a lot. Geno said it pretty well, your second zealot comes out 10 seconds later, third 15, etc etc. Which equates to ~1 less zealot for every ~6 you have.

Quote Originally Posted by geno View Post
    That judgement is not necessarily true. You are assuming 3 extra seconds of build time equates to 3 extra seconds of unadulterated damage, which is just not the case. Defending a 6 pool is often a lot about getting a block off, at which point the 6 pool becomes an instant lose no matter how early the lings get there. If a zealot is in a small enough choke and on hold position, it will never ever be cost effective or timely to break it. On most maps, the 3/5 second nerf will not affect whether or not a zealot is able to block in time for a 6 pool. That calculation itself really factors in the timing of the gateway more than the speed zealots build anyways.

It is a buff to early zerg aggression for sure, but 6 pool is not going to be a standard build against protoss. A later zealot doesn't change the fact that a 6 pool is an extremely risky build, that can be beaten very easily by certain common builds (10 gate or early forge builds) and even still loses to common economic builds like 13 gate when they are micro'd well. I don't see how this slight nerf changes that formula at all.

If anything, early terran aggression does seem like it will be stronger to me. Early 1-2 marauder + 1 marine aggression can be annoying enough to deal with as it is when you are trying to do a fairly standard 1gate core strategy, and the disadvantage of a later zealot only adds up over time. The first may be 5 seconds later (you don't usually chrono boost gateways in such an economic build), but the second is going to be 10 seconds later and the third will be 15. This starts to be a significant shift, and it may mean the crucial difference of 1-2 zealots being missing which makes early marauder aggression very difficult to deal with (particularly if proxied).
    I actually think with the changes we will see 10 pylon 10 gate 13 core become the standard in PvT. It will allow toss to get out two or three zealots + Stalker before that push gets there and will also allow the toss to put on pressure if he chooses.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Ultralisk nerf makes sense, they were ridiculously powerful against armored as is, even though you don't see them often. Ram being removed is a buff anyway, so it's nice and even there.

Reaper and bunker nerf hurts only a very specific cheese. Standard Reaper rushes won't be too limited by it, and it gives the opponent all of 5~15 more seconds to get a defense up if it's anticipated.

Tank nerf is awesome. I'll finally be able to get my speedlings and hydras into the tanks to actually do some work, instead of melting at 10 range. More incentive to get Carapace1 into my build quicker.

A little worried about Zealot nerf though. While I rarely 6pool, I still do it on Steppes about 90% of the time, as it's worked nearly every time for me. This only makes it easier.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Don't forget that Blizzard usually lists seconds in terms of game speed on Normal..

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The zealot nerf is unnecessary. Proxy gateway only really works on idiots who don't scout for it. I guess it was one of those strategies that went around like an STD though, that's probably why they're nerfing it. Probably the same reason they're nerfing Reapers too. The Siege Tank nerf is a long time coming but I don't feel like it truly addresses the balance problems with Terran. Mauraders and Thors still have retarded damage bonuses to mech/light (absurd in the case of Thors vs light air.) The Ultralisk nerf is kinda funny, I can't even think of one time when Ultralisks saved the day. Logistics make them much less useful than Thors/Colossus anyway.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ultras are a damn game changing unit, you have no idea. Saved my ass in many situations. espically against terran. The nerf is so miner its not even noticable

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    The zealot nerf is unnecessary. Proxy gateway only really works on idiots who don't scout for it. I guess it was one of those strategies that went around like an STD though, that's probably why they're nerfing it. Probably the same reason they're nerfing Reapers too. The Siege Tank nerf is a long time coming but I don't feel like it truly addresses the balance problems with Terran. Mauraders and Thors still have retarded damage bonuses to mech/light (absurd in the case of Thors vs light air.) The Ultralisk nerf is kinda funny, I can't even think of one time when Ultralisks saved the day. Logistics make them much less useful than Thors/Colossus anyway.
    I'm not sure if you're playing protoss or something, but against terran, you see them a lot in game that last more than 15-20min

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ultralisks loooove protoss ground units. They tear up Zealots, Stalkers, Templars, Dark Templars, and Colossi. Immortals aren't nearly as effective against them as they should be, either. You need to scout and stop Ultras if the Zerg tries to get that far, or you're in a lot of trouble.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I'm not sure about you, but stalkers are usually outmicroing ultralisk with blink. If you can get a clean hit, they can be pretty nice though. Against other units, I cant say I had much success with ultralisk. Zealot hurts ultralisk badly if they can surround them.

also, templar absolutely rape ultralisk...if they merge into archon. Archon vs ultra couldnt be more one sided.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ultra vs Archon is an even fight. Ultra attacks faster. But the archon does more damage to the ultra, it comes out pretty close to even in the long run. In my experience that is. 5 3 3 ultra is nothing to toy with, neither is a 3-3-3 archon