+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

Final Fantasy Tactics - The War of the Lions

I didn't find any threads on this in here so... here we are!

Reading the FFXII thread really reminded me FFT and how much I loved it. Honestly my most favourite Final Fantasy game ever (Okay okay, maybe tied with FF6).

I remember this being the very first PS1 game I ever played... I didn't even have a memory card when I rented it from Blockbuster so I just kept playing the opening sequence and stuff over and over, the farthest point I ever reached was getting to the Sand Rat's Cellar fight in Zeklaus Desert without dying.

When the PSP version came out... jeez, I swear it's like playing a totally different game with the translations much more clarified and fine tuned. No more "Mogri" or "Rich" or "Steady Sword" and kind of silly spell incantations (though I did kinda enjoy reading them... even if they were incredibly cheesy)!

So... what do ya'll think of it? I'm actually lookin' back at my old files on my PSP now, haha.

I used to watch my older bro play it when I was younger. I had only played FF6+7 at the time and thought it looked stupid lol.

I acquired the PSP version about 2.5 years ago and loved it. Story isn't anything too remarkable but it's told very well, and the combat/job system is excellent. I don't think I'll forget spamming that goddamn roof battle with Lucia (sp? forgot his name) and acquiring Ultima to master Squire; son of a bitch took about 4-5hrs. Of course, I used Ultima on my friends over wi-fi and they got it with minimal effort lol.

Overall, I'd say it's one of the better FFs (probably #4 on my Top 5 list).

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hated the lag with a passion.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Really bad lag, and I got used to the old game so I didn't feel 100% comfortable with the new translation. Holy explosion ! I did like the additions they had like extra battles/dialogue/jobs etc. Wish they made the battles wifi compatible instead of only short range or having to use xlinkkai or w/e that doesn't work unless the moon aligned in a specific position and you have all the tools necessary.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I have 6 (count em!) copies of the original PSX, but didn't get the PSP version, because of the downgraded sound quality and the lag. I was infuriated that they couldn't make a decent port. I might torrent it, though.

I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

I actually kind of remember reading somewhere how the slow down had something to do with it being purposely put in or something... a programming oversight maybe? But I kind of got used to it.

I admit if the handful of little flaws got fixed up, FFT: WotL would probably be that much better:

- Slowdown
    - Sound Quality
    - Some artistic issues with sprites and animations.

For some reason, the newer sprites like the recoloured enemies Delita fights at Zeirchele Falls or the new job sprites for example look a little out of place. The colours look a little off, like it's too saturated and blocky compared to the more smooth colouring of the original sprites... or somethin' like that.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

My old ps2 killed my FFT disc so I've been thinking about trying the psp one. I love dark knights so I was excited to see thats a usable job this time. It's just too bad I won't be able to give excaliburs to everyone lol.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    My old ps2 killed my FFT disc so I've been thinking about trying the psp one. I love dark knights so I was excited to see thats a usable job this time. It's just too bad I won't be able to give excaliburs to everyone lol.
    B& FOR DUPING TO RECEIVE RELICS.

Could not play this due to the incredible slow down in battle, this was largely ignored in most review for the game which is mind boggling for me because it's terrible. Sticking with CFW and an ISO of the original FFT is the way to go IMO.

Formerly known as Arcknight.
    BG Level

Dark Knights are more broken than Orlandu. Only thing good about the PSP version is the Ad-Hoc challenges which were a difficult I guess.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Arcknight View Post
    Dark Knights are more broken than Orlandu. Only thing good about the PSP version is the Ad-Hoc challenges which were a difficult I guess.
    Eh, for playing the game for the fifth+ time I'm not really too worried about the difficulty anymore.

New Odin
    BG Level

That's where 1.3 comes in!

If you haven't played through that already.

I've been trying to apply 1.3 patch several times but I can't seem to get it working for whatever reason.
    Anyone know where I can find an already patched EU PSP version?

FFT is a piss easy game once you have a moderate knowledge of its mechanics so extra difficulty is more than welcome.

If you don't care about the occasional lag during the more flashy spells' animations (summons, -ja magic and Holy in particular) PSP version is the way to go.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arcknight View Post
    I like Agrias more now lol, new accessory for her is awesome.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

hacktics if you want a challenge

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Pissed they got rid of the flavor text for abilities ;;

Life is short. Bury!
    Statsis Sword!

something like that

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    hacktics if you want a challenge
    This. In addition to the mods, they also have a bunch of custom made sprites that you can insert / replace vanilla sprites with. I remember turning Ramza's squire class into a custom made class with Holy Knight / Dark Knight swordskills on top of Power Ruin / Speed Ruin spells for immense overpoweredness.

Also iirc they made a patch that fixed the lag issues with War of the Lions and I think it also added back flavor text for spells.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I heard the war of the lions version made Melidoul's skills un-useless since they could now hit monsters and people who already had missing gear slots, and that you could play as Delita in certain parts of the game. Seeing as how he was my favorite character, aside from Wiegraf, this intrigues me.

I wonder if anyone has successfully taken the PSP port and retrograded it back to the PSX version. I want to play it, just not with the terrible slowdown and musical quality drop-off. I heard the PSP version of "Run Past Through the Plains" and it sounded... ugh. That song is too amazing to be degraded to Sega Genesis quality.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I wonder if anyone has successfully taken the PSP port and retrograded it back to the PSX version. I want to play it, just not with the terrible slowdown and musical quality drop-off. I heard the PSP version of "Run Past Through the Plains" and it sounded... ugh. That song is too amazing to be degraded to Sega Genesis quality.
    I think this is it

http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

Doesn't seem to be ready however

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Ooooh, I'll check that out! Thanks, Hyan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast