+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation Vita     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

I remember seeing it on GAF ages ago, from what I remember the specs of it seem to indicate that it is nothing to do with the PSP2. It will probably be something similar to the PSP Go seeing as how it can access the playstation store, but combined with a smart phone, which is nice for people who want that.

New Odin
    BG Level

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42498/PSP2...nt-on-Jan-27th

Sony is on the verge of finally announcing new handheld, MCV sources have confirmed

The industry will finally find out what form the PSP2 will take at a press event in Tokyo on January 27th, trade sources have confirmed to MCV.

Claims emerging this morning about an impending reveal for the long-rumoured PSP2 are true.

Publishers were informed late last year of the plans, with some of Sony's biggest parties already at work on titles for the high-specced device.

The date of the reveal itself is just the beginning, however.

This Friday's copy of MCV magazine has some exclusive industry insight - some of which will come as a huge surprise. Check back for the full story on MCVuk.com.
    Bring it on

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://kotaku.com/5732402/sony-telli...erful-as-a-ps3

Sony Telling People The PSP2 Is As Powerful As A PS3
    A report on trade site MCV reckons Sony has been telling "licensees" — ie the people making games for it — that the PSP2 "‘is as powerful as the PlayStation 3".

It's part of a clear strategy Sony has for the upcoming (and still not yet officially unveiled) handheld, which is that it's "specifically requesting richer, more in-depth content to differentiate its device from app-centric Apple and Android devices."

Like its own PlayStation Phone, for example.

This all collaborates what Kotaku previously reported — that the PSP2 may rival consoles in horsepower. EA honcho John Riccitiello also told Kotaku, "Having something as powerful as a PlayStation 3 in your pocket is a pretty compelling idea."

The same report claims that while downloads will play a big part in the system's game library, the PSP2 will also use physical media so that its games can be sold in retail stores. It also states the handheld will be out in Q4 2011, possibly as early as October.

There's even word it may include some kind of phone (remember, the current PSP can be used as a Skype device), though "not as a primary function".

Before you spit internet coffee all over yourself, remember the PSP2 probably won't actually be as powerful as a PS3. But on a smaller screen, it should manage — just like the PSP did with the PS2 — to appear as though it's pretty close.

Kotaku is following up with Sony and will update should the company comment.

Sounds like a strategy I can get behind. Makes sense considering the way Japan is going.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Would be awesome if true, but with rumors of the 3DS price being over $300, I really don't want to know the price lol.

we fuckin' stole it man.
    BG Level

If its as powerful as the ps3, even remotely, I can only imagine how long you'll last on battery power.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzer View Post
    If its as powerful as the ps3, even remotely, I can only imagine how long you'll last on battery power.
    Some of the highend tablets/phones are already broaching on 360/PS3 territory, we've come a really long way in terms of energy efficient CPU power, 5-10 hours is entirely feasible.

The biggest thing restricting battery life is really the form-factor more than anything, they might decide to sacrifice some battery life to make it slimer. If it's really PSP1000 size there should be plenty of room.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Physical media - are they talking Micro SD/Memory Stick style? Surely they aren't going UMD or similar anymore, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Physical media - are they talking Micro SD/Memory Stick style? Surely they aren't going UMD or similar anymore, right?
    Considering memorystick/sd cost less than UMDs to produce, and have 4x as much storage(before the cost get's prohibitive), it's a safe bet.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

power of a PS3
    form factor of a PSP1000
    HD screen
    two analog sticks
    http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4766/yaranaikaface.png

Relic Shield
    BG Level

^

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Pretty much my reaction entirely, I don't believe for one second they can fit PS3-equivalent hardware in to a portable handheld though. But I guess we'll see soon.

New Odin
    BG Level

The Rumored Uncharted spin-off game is real and in development as a showpiece game along these lines.

Sony is maintaining a focus on these kinds of games for the new system, with the system described as roughly half as powerful as PlayStation 3, and as such far more powerful from a computing perspective than Nintendo's 3DS.
    I has been fooled. But I wonder just what kind of visuals a machine half as powerful as PS3 can put out. I guess we'll find out in a <week.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Really depends what they refer to with regards to power. You can have a fucking power CPU, but what good will it do with the graphics card/chip is shit?

I'm curious if Sony is going to go for a retina-style display. Would be slick looking not being able to discern individual pixels on the screen, but it'd chew the battery too quickly playing games at such a resolution on a handheld.

New Odin
    BG Level

The article also said this:

Combine that with a screen described by one developer as "like the iPhone 4's retina display, but better," it seems pretty clear that the platform is being built for high-end games.
    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3183093

What kind of display is it?

Also doesn't PS3 use mainly the processor while the GPU sucks?

Shak-ka-kahn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    The article also said this:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3183093

What kind of display is it?

Also doesn't PS3 use mainly the processor while the GPU sucks?
    knowing sony and its crazy ideas with new technology.....the screen is probably OLED lol.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Shnaklaha View Post
    knowing sony and its crazy ideas with new technology.....the screen is probably OLED lol.
    BUT BETTER!

New Odin
    BG Level

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201.../psp2_details/

Nikkei has some preliminary details on Sony's next generation PlayStation Portable system.

According to the paper, the new system will have 3G support. In Japan, the 3G service will be provided by NTT DoCoMo.

Using the 3G connection, gamers will be able to play online games and download software and movies. The service will not allow for phone calls.

The system will also have standard wireless LAN, of course. However, the 3G support will allow players to connect online wherever DoCoMo has wireless service. DoCoMo is Japan's largest mobile carrier.

Separate from the wireless functionality, the paper reports that the new PSP will make use of an OLED touch screen. Regarding the system's internals, the paper reports that Sony has developed a new processor for handling high resolution visuals.

Pricing on the next generation PSP is currently TBA, according to the paper. The paper does not mention possible subscription fees associated with the 3G service, or the possibility of a Wi-Fi only model.

The paper also makes brief mention of the device that many are calling "Playstation Phone," a smart phone that includes game features. This will have button-based controls, the paper reports, making games control easier. The device will use Google's Android operating system and will allow users to access non-game software like video and scheduling software.

Sony is expected to take the veil off the new PSP system at a press conference on the 27th. The PlayStation cell phone device is expected to be unveiled next month.
    Err, OLED it is..! Meaning what?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Meaning that combined with 3G, expect to see the device run $399 imo.

New Odin
    BG Level

Crap, it better be backwards compatible in that case.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast