1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 45 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFXIV Memory leak?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

FFXIV Memory leak?

I got 3 BSOD so far while playing the game, the first 2 I thought they were caused by my OC'd CPU, but I stress tested several times when I first overclocked it and it also has never crashed on anything else but FF, upped a bit the vCore, but I got another one just an hour ago, I decided to check the .dmp file to look at what's causing the blue screen.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

Supposedly caused most commonly by either overheating CPU (CPU never goes past 48º) or bad RAM.

Decided to run CCleaner, and noticed that every time that the game has BSOD'd I end up with 440~ MB in memory dumps.

CPU being unstable would be weird as it always happens after long sessions (3+ hours), usually after alt-tabing (using windowed-fullscreen with autohotkey), has anyone got any BSOD?, could it be something else? it's annoying :<

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    I got 3 BSOD so far while playing the game, the first 2 I thought they were caused by my OC'd CPU, but I stress tested several times when I first overclocked it and it also has never crashed on anything else but FF, upped a bit the vCore, but I got another one just an hour ago, I decided to check the .dmp file to look at what's causing the blue screen.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

Supposedly caused most commonly by either overheating CPU (CPU never goes past 48º) or bad RAM.

Decided to run CCleaner, and noticed that every time that the game has BSOD'd I end up with 440~ MB in memory dumps.

CPU being unstable would be weird as it always happens after long sessions (3+ hours), usually after alt-tabing (using windowed-fullscreen with autohotkey), has anyone got any BSOD?, could it be something else? it's annoying :<
    I haven't had any BSODs (running W7 64bit) but during my testing for my own issue (fps problem) I noticed that the ffxivgame.exe process was using 880MB. I haven't bothered watching starting values though or noticed if it gets released on exit. I will try to check that out tonight after work.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I have played the game and sat idle then resumed playing for up to 8 hours. There isnt a memory leak. If it only happens after a few hours of playing then something is overheating.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well, just played over 6 hours, CPU never got past 48º, GPU never got past 68º, NB on the mid 50's, and didn't crash, it seems to be very random, it has only happened 3 times since CE release, I really have no idea of what's wrong or causing it, but knowing I can get a BSOD out of nowhere at any time sucks :/

Crashes also have always happened at night, after having played FFXIV/used the computer through the whole day.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

After leaving my game on overnight to Bazaar (game has been running about 16 hours now) the game is now using 1.25GB of RAM on my system. They definitely need to work on their memory management (among other things).

*Edit* Closed the game, and it returned all 1.25GB of memory so it is not a leak. Restarted the game, it appears to use ~550MB at the start (give or take some depending on where you are at the time, I was near ARM guild in LL). Definitely appears that the game just has poor memory management which is disappointing considering how long they have worked on the Crystal Tools engine.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I have randomly crashed once before. I had my CPU OC'd a bit. I turned it down and have not had any problems since even after extended play times.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Generally a Memory leak in a game will cause the game to crash, not blue screen your computer. it is very likely you have a bad hard drive, or a bad stick of RAM. Ty to narrow those down, send me a PM for details.