1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 6 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 6 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

List of Researchable Topics

As far as advanced gaming goes, I feel this section generally has much to be desired. I try my best to keep up with most of the threads, but sometimes information gets lost pages deep before I get to it. That said, I feel as though we could make a lot of progress analyzing this game if we first compile a list of things that need to be analyzed. The eventual goal is for a thread like this to be filled out with information and potentially transformed into a FAQ of advanced knowledge, stuff perhaps for the BGwiki or just the community at large.

Here is a list of topics I've noticed so far require some in-depth analysis by the community. If a topic has been (inevitably) left out, post it and I will add it to the OP if it qualifies as "advanced" gameplay. If you have an answer to something on the list, show data (spoiler tags please) or cite (and link!!!) your source(s) so that we can utilize a critical eye to find objective truths in the numbers/concepts presented. Lastly, if you wish to reserve a topic to undertake for research, let the community know and perhaps other can get together with you to pool data to the advantage of having a larger sample size to analyze.

Threads with ongoing topics on a particular subject will be linked to keep everything more-or-less in one central topic.

Game Updates
    Version Update (October 8, 2010)
    Version Update (October 15, 2010)
    Version Update (October 22, 2010)
    Version Update (October 28, 2010)

FFXIV Databases
    YG: FFXIV
    FFXIV Archives
    FFXIV Zam DB

Research List:

General
    Understand The Fatigue System [VIDEO]
    • Specific numerical fatigue value (per hour/day, etc.) / EXP tiers

Optimal Rank scaling on equipment per slot/each statistic

Optimal Rank scaling on abilities (guild mark/cross-class)
    Effects of cross-class skills (duration/effect changes)
    HP / MP progressions by Rank and VIT for each class
    Effect of statistics block (defense/attack/m.accuracy)
    Party Leveling Guide / Good exp spots

Guild Mark Data Collection

Battle-related
    Enmity values for spells/abilities

Incapacitation Information
    Specific description of effects for spells/abilities (duration, DoT, etc.)
    Determining Skill Point Gains (Guardian's Favor should be analyzed too)
    Determining Durability decrease/Wear rates across all gear slots vs. optimal level, etc.
    Combat:
    • Accuracy / Evasion calculation
    • Damage calculations for melee / magic
    • Critical Hit rate calculation
    • Function of Elemental affinities (resistances?)
    • Rank (level) Correction effects on damage/defense

Crafting (Disciples of Hand)
    Synthesis Support Mechanics
    Determining Exact Synthesis Levels, including sub-crafts required
    Precise success/fail chance per synth color (range of progress/durability/quality effects vs. synth level. etc.)
    High-Quality synthesis rates (durability vs. quality vs. skill level?, etc.)
    • "hidden" effects of HQ gear (including: meaning of "stars" on gear)

Main hand vs. Offhand effects and synthesis matching

Gathering (Disciples of Land)
    Specific analysis of effects for traits/abilities (King's Yield, etc.)
    Mining Mechanics / Botany Mechanics

I'm sure there are a ton of topics I've overlooked. It's a decent starter list anyhow. I think if we work together we can start unveiling some of the mystery surrounding our new game.

Disclaimer: Some of the items on this list may be redundant and/or known. Please post as such so we can squeeze this list into precise topics. I am not an English major or linguist of any kind so please let me know if something should be clarified to avoid confusion. I should also state that discussions (such as economic theory or meta-game concepts) do not belong in this thread.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all the researchers out there!

Updates:
    [10.12.10] Added additional topic by request, added some subcategories.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'd say it's safe to assume mining and botany mechanics are nearly identical.

I like this thread.

Add one item: Effect of "stars" on a stat for HQ items (maybe this is already known, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere).

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

A few suggestions from me:

Understand The Fatigue System [VIDEO]
    Probably gonna unsticky that one to sticky this thread instead.

Version Update ( Oct. 8 )
    Always good to keep track of all the version updates changes and when they happened.

Party Leveling Guide
    I'm sure we'll get a lot of similar exping/grinding threads in the future.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

OK I updated the OP. I may rearrange it a tad at some point to be more efficient, categorize-wise. Feel free to sticky/edit OP Ragns. You're an admin after all and I am just a lowly user

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

added two new topics above:

mob attack evolution (thread currently linked is the one about guild leves to avoid)
    incapacitation information

linked the current thread on crafting attributes and skills to a topic above as well.

lastly, added database links.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Another possible topic to add is faction credits gained from leves. So far, I've noticed that it could be exclusively time-based(some people I've talked to think there are other factors also). Example: Completion time of 5 minutes or less = 9 credits; completion time of 5:01 - 15:00 = 6 credits; completion time of 15+ minutes = 4 credits. I can't confirm that it breaks down exactly like that, since my testing has been limited, but I definitely plan on testing for more conclusive info in the future.

EDIT: I have debunked my time-based theory anyway. My initial testing must have just been coincidence.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

doesn't really seem like an advanced topic. I agree that time completion bonuses for leves in general are an interesting topic, but it's probably not some crazy-dynamic formula.