Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 426 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Randomer Question Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Randomer Question Thread

This thread is for off-the-cuff questions that don't merit a full topic to answer. "What should I wear for my level 65 pup? What's the best way to learn the Qutrub Blu spell?"

Original thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16257

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Re: Randomer Question Thread

=O I'll start!

Nashira or Yigit feet for BLM?

And to not double post: I got Goliard pants last night, and they look nice for SMN, so I compared them to Evoker's Spats (I know -_-, I don't go to dyna for AF2). So I decided to use Goliard pants on SMN full time instead of AF1 pants...is this a wise choice?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

^ yigit for most things.

only would use nash for elemental enfeebles (shock/burn/choke) or if you desperately need skill for something, but that's rare.

and stick with af1 legs on smn if you don't have af2 hands or legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelita
    =O I'll start!

Nashira or Yigit feet for BLM?

And to not double post: I got Goliard pants last night, and they look nice for SMN, so I compared them to Evoker's Spats (I know -_-, I don't go to dyna for AF2). So I decided to use Goliard pants on SMN full time instead of AF1 pants...is this a wise choice?
    nashira if you resist, yigit if you don't. there's no cut and dry answer w/o knowing more of your gear. if you had full ele merits, af2 hat, etc, you're less likely to need the ele mag crutch on the boots than if you were a "well it's 75" blm. most of the time i'd expect more mileage out of yigit though.

Edit: nashira wouldn't be bad for drain/aspir/stun/enfeebles since the haste and macc can't hurt. might just be splitting hairs though since neither trait is very strong on nashira.

My footchoice for BLM varies widely on situation.

Max damage: Yigit
    Max reliability: Nashira (I don't have full elemental merits yet...this may not be needed for fully merited blms)
    Dark magic: Nashira
    When max damage isn't as important: Sorcerer's Sabots
    When not casting: Herald's Gaiters

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Hauby NQ/HQ or Hachiman body for WS? I know it's Hauby, but my friend keeps going on about the STR of Hachiman. Can someone put it in a better way I can explain to him? Without the sarcasm please.

EDIT: With WAR sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Cydewinder
    Hauby NQ/HQ or Hachiman body for WS? I know it's Hauby, but my friend keeps going on about the STR of Hachiman. Can someone put it in a better way I can explain to him? Without the sarcasm please.

EDIT: With WAR sub.
    Hauby HQ for sure. 2 str is way less important than 12 attack and ~5 accuracy.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    2 str is way less important than 12 attack
    I thought someone said attack doesn't affect SAM WS?

Quote Originally Posted by Epical
    Like hell it doesn't.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Ah, I thought so, I keep trying to tell him that, but he's got this whole "all you need is STR" thing going. I think he's about to buy a Smilodon mantle+1 over a Amemet Mantle+1 just based off of that. I guess he won't listen to me because I'm not a SAM.

Edit: :ashira:

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Ah, I thought so, I keep trying to tell him that, but he's got this whole "all you need is STR" thing going. I think he's about to buy a Smilodon mantle+1 over a Amemet Mantle+1 just based off of that. I guess he won't listen to me because I'm not a SAM.

You definitely need Attack as well as STR, with the only real exception being a BLU, who would be better off with the Smilodon+1. STR caps in effectiveness(as does attack, but that takes alot more of it to do, usually done through BRD/COR buffs) so loading up on too much of either will only get you so far.

Side note: Tell your friend we said "DOOOOMAAAAARRRRUUUUUUUUU!!!"-

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Is Byrnie(+1) still better? I seem to remember some testing showing it on top, but I can't remember if that was contingent on sub or if it's changed since the patches.

NOTE: this is a gross oversimplification of the math. please don't flame me for dumbing it down, though feel free if i got the fundamentals wrong. ^^

hachiman can achieve slightly higher numbers in theory, but the average result will be lower due to all the loss in attk/acc. it's akin to rolling a die with 4 sides numbered 2,3,3,4 for the hauby or a die with the numbers 1,1,1,5 for the domaru. the expected value of the hauby die is much higher at 3 than the domaru die at 2. as such, for the most damage on your average dice roll (read WS) the hauby will be the superior choice. does that help explain it better?

btw, i realized after i typed this that i basically ripped off the "battle" system for the chocobo pocket station game from ff8. still, good way to explain it imo.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto

You definitely need Attack as well as STR, with the only real exception being a BLU, who would be better off with the Smilodon+1. STR caps in effectiveness(as does attack, but that takes alot more of it to do, usually done through BRD/COR buffs) so loading up on too much of either will only get you so far.

Side note: Tell your friend we said "DOOOOMAAAAARRRRUUUUUUUUU!!!"-
    lol, I guess all I can do is explain to him in this way, thanks for the help. 8)

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Like hell it doesn't.
    Well shit, I guess that helps explain the huge fucking range a 1 hit, non-crit, same debuff WS can do lol. I need to go over my WS macro then. =(

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien
    Is Byrnie(+1) still better? I seem to remember some testing showing it on top, but I can't remember if that was contingent on sub or if it's changed since the patches.
    Byrnie+1 is really only good for amano sam... It's to reach the attack cap easier, since you have 20 less acc to worry about. Hauby would be a lot better for non amano sams.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferien
    Byrnie+1 is really only good for amano sam... It's to reach the attack cap easier, since you have 20 less acc to worry about. Hauby would be a lot better for non amano sams.
    Hm...I thought it was tested by a hagun user.

My footchoice for BLM varies widely on situation.

Max damage: Yigit
    Max reliability: Nashira (I don't have full elemental merits yet...this may not be needed for fully merited blms)
    Dark magic: Nashira
    When max damage isn't as important: Sorcerer's Sabots
    When not casting: Herald's Gaiters
    I don't have af2 or Nashira, but if I did that's basically how I'd make use of them, with the addition of the miniscule fastcast on rostrum pumps for when forced to be a stun whore.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Like hell it doesn't.
    Well shit, I guess that helps explain the huge fucking range a 1 hit, non-crit, same debuff WS can do lol. I need to go over my WS macro then. =(
    I remember back during the huge 2handed buff, I was able to cap my WS damage on Colibri with Wheeling Thrust (similar characteristics to some SAM ws's - 1 hit and STR based). No matter how much attack I put on, I never went over it, but when I put on more STR, the number began to increase (although capped there now). But since the "nerf", it's hard for me to reach that point without SV.

That might be able to help you understand how STR could be better than ATK, but I wish I could tell you from a samurai's perspective.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

What should I merit for Blue Mage? Category 1 mainly, but some opinions on Category 2 would be nice.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 426 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast