• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Just built computer, smoking when plugged in..

So I ordered this with a video card and everything else. I thought I put everything together right, lol. But when I went to plug the computer in, I heard something blow and smoke started coming from the power supply I think. Now when I plug it in nothing happens, and nothing when I press the power button. Going to assume I fried almost everything lol. I checked after and everything seemed to be connected properly... so I'm not sure what happened.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

pop open the power supply, and check the fuse? (or anythign crispy lol)

Might have been a DOA power supply.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah... I'm wondering why you even tried it again AFTER it blew and started smoking. Your PSU is done, and possibly all your components connected to it. Either RMA (can you?) the entire thing or do a trial-and-error test piece by piece (starting with the PSU).

probably a fried power supply. you can try shorting the 2 startup pins on your PSU, but i'd bet dollars to doughnuts the kit came bad and there was nothing you did wrong. it's pretty hard to screw up an install that straightforward bad enough to let the magic smoke out of your PSU. contact the manufacturer and RMA it. alternatively, we could try replacing the PSU if you don't want to/can't send the whole thing back. (if you think you may have fried the mobo, go buy a PSU from staples and take it back if it doesn't help. unless they changed their policy, they take back open box returns no problem.) if you have more questions, send me a tell ingame (may have to wait till tomorrow, dunno when i'll be able to get on) and i can talk you thru it.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Smoke = blow capacitor, if its white smoke I'd ventilate the area since thats burning acid.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroko View Post
    Smoke = blow capacitor, if its white smoke I'd ventilate the area since thats burning acid.
    Do you understand how any of this works, or do you just assume you know because you watch Mythbusters?

White smoke from the PSU is a cartridge going off to expunge any fire inside, designed as a safety mechanism to prevent the entire system from becoming a fireball. It's nothing even remotely toxic unless you're in a vacuum and don't otherwise have oxygen flowing into your lungs.

OP: If your system went POP and you got white smoke from the PSU (and you're sure it was the PSU), then your other components are *probably* safe, but the PSU is now bricked. Get another PSU and try again, and this time check the voltage switch when you plug it in.

Wasn't white smoke, it was black smoke. PSU smells like smoke, was definitely the PSU, so it's done for sure. Guess I'll have to try another PSU and see if everything else is fried.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

If you got black smoke, then you may have more damage than just the PSU, because that means the safety cartridge I mentioned didn't go off, and the 5.5v poles weren't disconnected.

Hope everything is ok

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    Do you understand how any of this works, or do you just assume you know because you watch Mythbusters?

White smoke from the PSU is a cartridge going off to expunge any fire inside, designed as a safety mechanism to prevent the entire system from becoming a fireball. It's nothing even remotely toxic unless you're in a vacuum and don't otherwise have oxygen flowing into your lungs.

OP: If your system went POP and you got white smoke from the PSU (and you're sure it was the PSU), then your other components are *probably* safe, but the PSU is now bricked. Get another PSU and try again, and this time check the voltage switch when you plug it in.
    This is true. Had this happen to me one time, thought I fried everything. I use the other PSU as a paperweight now on my desk. Put the new one in, has worked fine since. But then, I have always had bad luck with PSUs

You might be lucky, I've had black smoke, I think maybe even flames in the PSU it looked so scorched, and every other component was fine.

Of course I've fried CPU, GPU, RAM, you name it on other occasions too >_>

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

You are multi-talented taru then Shuemue?

just old and been breaking computers for a long time!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

most likely power supply, and most likely nothing you did caused this

power supplies are one of the most mass-produced and cheaply designed parts of a computer, ironic as it's arguably the most important part

i'm not saying all power supplies are cheaply designed, but a high percentage of them are, and because they are slapped with "1000OMG WATTZ" they can sell them easily, regardless of their build quality

when i built my current PC last year, the first part I researched heavily before purchasing was my powersupply (650W Thermaltake ToughPower, with modular cables, $149.99 at ZZP brand new when I got it). hardocp.com does extensive PSU reviews, perhaps check the reviews out there to get a better idea of what you're (not?) getting

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Some power supplies have a switch near where the power cable plugs in for the input voltage (either 115 or 220). Was yours set correctly?