BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Harry Potter And the Half Blood prince

Anyone else see it at premier?

Yea have been warned before clicking.
    Spoiler: show

Major differences that I could see / remember:

No Dursleys. No house elves. The Burrow gets destroyed after bellatrix and greyback show up over Christmas. They gave Harry and Ginny's kiss to Ron & Lavender brown. Lavender acted like a total air head over ron, which wasn't how I read it happening in the book but was funny. The actor for Slughorn was good if off from the tone I imagined him being. I mark it up to the difference in his appearence and the description of the character in the book. There where no memories of Tom Riddles mother shown.

Minor:

This is the first movie where -everyone- looks older, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith and all the adult cast look older. The effect is ... interesting given the series theme about growing up and its placement in the 'darker' times.

They took their time with the movie, going deliberetly between the plot points that tie the the series together to the ones that eventually connect all the loose ends in Deathly hallows. This was not 'rush between the events' like 3 or 4. A lot was glossed over as far as expotition goes, but Rowlings 'explain everything after its happened' doesn't translate well to movies.

Oh yes, Snape Kills dumbledore.

I liked it better than I liked 3 or 5 as far as translations of the written material. They left out a lot of crap that is going to make Deathly Hallows interesting if only to see how they tie stuff up.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

If you haven't read the book and your going to see the movie you deserve to have that shit spoiled.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Never read the books but I went with an HP Fanatic and they approved, stating it was their favorite one of the series so far.

I also approved, having seen some of the previous films (Enough to know what the hell was going on).

Pretty GEWD

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's all on wiki -_-
    http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Ha...d_Prince_(film)

All the differences from book, listed there...

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reapz Sjc
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Going to watch it Friday so I guess I should avoid this thread for huge spoilers! Except I already know the biggest one thanks to my ahole of a brother reading the books

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I'm heading to see this probably tomorrow or Friday.. a lot of people have been saying it follows the book much closer than the past two or three movies so I have a feeling I'm really gonna like it.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Reapz View Post
    Going to watch it Friday so I guess I should avoid this thread for huge spoilers! Except I already know the biggest one thanks to my ahole of a brother reading the books
    Wait. You are a Brit who has not read the books? I mean you would have somewhat of an excuse in the US since I'm sure some kids are too illiterate to get through it and/or it's been banned in their area cause its not Christian.. But really as a Brit I thought not having read JK Rowling was like sacrilege?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You'll be surprised what the literacy rate is in uk, i put it in the lines of Alabama...

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Good god this movie failed to deliver on so many levels, instead of including key scenes they spent more time messing around with fanservice. (all the girl/lovey dovey crap)

Also in the book Harry NEVER fucking saw Snape before Dumbledore was killed, nigga got stunned and was invisible. In the book he stresses how he wish he would have been free to have done something, anything. In the movie he IS free to do anything but he doesn't do shit but stand there.

and the fucking last part of the movie was suppose to be a huge fucking battle, people die, and get seriously fucked up. But nope, there was not a person in sight. That really makes all that Order of the Phoenix training completely useless.

Yeah I think I am not going to watch the last entry, I hated that book most and I am sure the movies will blow as hard.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by wop View Post
    You'll be surprised what the literacy rate is in uk, i put it in the lines of Alabama...
    Are we talking chavs or population as a whole?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I enjoyed it, but i do recall one critic stating "Its like hogwarts has turned into hollyoaks" which isnt too far from the truth, im sure the brits will get this.

Still a good watch, shame harry didnt get to nail that chick from the underground cafe, she was pretty smokin.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

If it's as far from the books as Anamanagucci says, I will be bitterly disappointed as usual. Is it really that hard to stay true to the books while delivering a good movie experience? I've seen movies do it well enough before. I don't mind if less important parts have to be cut out, but changing whole scenes and plot points to something totally different is not keeping to the spirit of the franchise, even. I guess I'll still go because my cousin wants to see it with me...the special effects and music at least will be awesome.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    If it's as far from the books as Anamanagucci says, I will be bitterly disappointed as usual. Is it really that hard to stay true to the books while delivering a good movie experience? I've seen movies do it well enough before. I don't mind if less important parts have to be cut out, but changing whole scenes and plot points to something totally different is not keeping to the spirit of the franchise, even. I guess I'll still go because my cousin wants to see it with me...the special effects and music at least will be awesome.
    Yes those scenes are that different.

Harry and Dumbledore apparated into the astronomy tower instead of flying in. There's no door and harry didn't have his cloak so he couldn't have used petrificus totalus on harry without him being seen so dumbledore told him to hide. Harry watched the scene from downstairs underneath the floor. He saw snape and assumed snape was there to help. So he let him go up to the top without doing anything.

Biggest complaints of the movie:

1.) Retarded scene of the attack on the burrow.
    2.) No battle at Hogwarts with the Order and the Death Eaters (However Director David Yates said it was because he didn't want to draw away from the 7th book's battle for Hogwarts and make the 7th movie's to seem repetitive)
    3.) No Funeral

Everything else was very very very very close to the book and the stuff they changed was for flow purposes and to speed the already 2 and a half hour movie a long. I immensely enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anamanagucci View Post
    Good god this movie failed to deliver on so many levels, instead of including key scenes they spent more time messing around with fanservice. (all the girl/lovey dovey crap)

Also in the book Harry NEVER fucking saw Snape before Dumbledore was killed, nigga got stunned and was invisible. In the book he stresses how he wish he would have been free to have done something, anything. In the movie he IS free to do anything but he doesn't do shit but stand there.

and the fucking last part of the movie was suppose to be a huge fucking battle, people die, and get seriously fucked up. But nope, there was not a person in sight. That really makes all that Order of the Phoenix training completely useless.

Yeah I think I am not going to watch the last entry, I hated that book most and I am sure the movies will blow as hard.
    The director and writer said they were splitting the 7th movie into two so they can put absolutely everything that was in the book in the movies. Here's to hoping they do a good job.

The "lovey dovey crap" was for comic relief. You know these are supposed to be entertaining and not just a word for word copy of a book. Books and movies are two completely different types of entertainment. Learn that before you ever watch a book to movie adaptation ever again.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrial View Post
    Yes those scenes are that different.

Harry and Dumbledore apparated into the astronomy tower instead of flying in. There's no door and harry didn't have his cloak so he couldn't have used petrificus totalus on harry without him being seen so dumbledore told him to hide. Harry watched the scene from downstairs underneath the floor. He saw snape and assumed snape was there to help. So he let him go up to the top without doing anything.

Biggest complaints of the movie:

1.) Retarded scene of the attack on the burrow.
    2.) No battle at Hogwarts with the Order and the Death Eaters (However Director David Yates said it was because he didn't want to draw away from the 7th book's battle for Hogwarts and the 7th movie's to seem repetitive)
    3.) No Funeral

Everything else was very very very very close to the book and the stuff they changed was for flow purposes and to speed the already 2 and a half hour movie a long. I immensely enjoyed it.

The director and writer said they were splitting the 7th movie into two so they can put absolutely everything that was in the book in the movies. Here's to hoping they do a good job.

The "lovey dovey crap" was for comic relief. You know these are supposed to be entertaining and not just a word for word copy of a book. Books and movies are two completely different types of entertainment learn that before you ever watch a book to movie adaptation ever again.
    No I don't know that it was suppose to be "entertaining". The book DOES have it's entertaining moments, they just decided not to play on too many of those in the movie. The trailer lead me to believe that this movie was going to live up to the book and it didn't. There are plenty of other movies that have followed books faithfully before. But like I said this was my favorite book of the series so it's probably why I had such high hopes for it.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Last book movie will be a 2 part movie so they will/could probably go into more detail than they usually do with book to movie films.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Personally HBP was my second least favorite book. The pacing just sucked, I mean the first 400 pages were exposition and "Draco must be doing something, why does no one believe me" Climax was great, but the buildup irked me.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    Personally HBP was my second least favorite book. The pacing just sucked, I mean the first 400 pages were exposition and "Draco must be doing something, why does no one believe me" Climax was great, but the buildup irked me.
    In the book I enjoyed the memories of voldemort and i was a little saddened they cut most of those memories out of the movie.

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrial View Post
    Books and movies are two completely different types of entertainment. Learn that before you ever watch a book to movie adaptation ever again.
    There are always gonna be people unsatisfied with adaptations from one medium to another. Learn that before you ever make a criticism of a criticism ever again.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Book =! Film

If you view any book series against a movie series there will be something that annoys you eventually.

However, I do find it odd that they added a random scene for more action and then cleaned out some action scenes later though.

I can understand cutting out the funeral though. Think of all the people they would have had to have brought back for a 2 minute scene, let alone the effects costs from adding in the centaurs and grawp etc.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I understand if it was some other noob scrub like that Cedric kid but this was Dumbledore. I don't particularly like Magneto playing him but I still felt he should have gotten a better wake than that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast