+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Man run over by airplane     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Man run over by airplane

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35911154/ns/us_news-life/

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - The kit-built single-engine plane was gliding quietly as it came down for an emergency landing on a beach. Pharmaceutical salesman Robert Gary Jones, listening to his iPod while jogging, likely never saw or heard it before the aircraft hit him from behind and killed him.

"There's no noise," aviation expert Mary Schiavo, a former inspector general for the National Transportation Safety Board, said of the Monday evening accident. "So the jogger, with his ear buds in, and the plane without an engine, you're basically a stealth aircraft. Who would expect to look up?"

The 38-year-old Jones, whose mother said he was serious about nutrition and exercise, especially jogging, was on a business trip to Hilton Head for GlaxoSmithKline. He was looking forward to getting home to the northern Atlanta suburb of Woodstock, Ga., for his daughter's third birthday Wednesday, Pauline Jones said.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

"I was never so shocked in all my life," she said of learning the news, her voice shaking. "They say that God only gives you what you can handle. I said, 'You know what, I've reached my max.'"

The pilot, Edward I. Smith of Chesapeake, Va., and his lone passenger walked away from the crash-landing near the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office named the passenger as David Henry, 59, also of Chesapeake, The Island Packet newspaper reported.

Smith was on the beach Tuesday, when the four-seater aircraft was hoisted onto a trailer hitched to a pickup truck and towed away.

"I've got a lot of issues going on right now," Smith said. "I've got a plane that's all torn up. And I've got a young man that I killed."
    Artists rendition:
    http://72.32.14.248/globalmedia/Imag...ta%20Plane.jpg

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Onlookers saying the guy was showing off earlier flying at low altitudes, way below legal flying. The emergency landing part imo sounds like complete bullshit.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

http://bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90352

Can't blame you for missing it though, apparently people don't even know what topic titles are for.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silentleroy View Post
    http://i40.tinypic.com/w71nrd.png

/(both)threads

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post

/(both)threads
    not really.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Yea, that second one was kind of weak.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    thats dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Mayareira View Post
    http://bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90352

Can't blame you for missing it though, apparently people don't even know what topic titles are for.
    Thought I read something similar already. Began wondering about new trends among terrorists

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    Onlookers saying the guy was showing off earlier flying at low altitudes, way below legal flying. The emergency landing part imo sounds like complete bullshit.
    He was flying in Class G airspace...it's completely legal to fly there. This entire quote is full of dumb.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    He was flying in Class G airspace...it's completely legal to fly there. This entire quote is full of dumb.
    Oh, so its perfectly fine to fly like a cunt in an uncontrolled airspace while possibly endangering human lives below. Makes sense.

Just because you're flying in a Class G doesn't mean you can fly 13-18 feet off the ground-near hitting groups of people participating in a club g2g on purpose. Nevertheless anyone else that was on that beach previously to this so called "crash" occurring.

Even the people participating in that "Jeep Meet" club on the beach said they felt threatened by the pilot. But I guess my statement is completely moot.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Whoa now you are just changing your argument. I'm not saying it wasn't a reckless maneuver here, but it was completely legal to be flying there.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Blackwater Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    Oh, so its perfectly fine to fly like a cunt in an uncontrolled airspace while possibly endangering human lives below. Makes sense.

Just because you're flying in a Class G doesn't mean you can fly 13-18 feet off the ground-near hitting groups of people participating in a club g2g on purpose. Nevertheless anyone else that was on that beach previously to this so called "crash" occurring.

Even the people participating in that "Jeep Meet" club on the beach said they felt threatened by the pilot. But I guess my statement is completely moot.
    I can't see any quotes from a jeep meet club in the 2 linked articles. What I do see are reports of an oil leak and a failed, or 'lost', propellor prior to the emergency landing.

Just because someone says he was flying like an idiot doesn't make it fact. A few years ago a small 2 seater plane crashed into the front yard of the house opposite me. The plane suffered engine failure during a routine training exercise for turning and landing with one engine stalled.

'Eyewitnesses' were on the news for days saying he was seen attempting loops and barrel rolls shortly before the crash. The news stations failed to report it was dark when the crash occured. So the sensationalist eyewitness claims were left to become 'fact' until the cause of the crash was fully investigated.

Seriously, if the pilot was 'flying like a cunt' as you put it, he would've had his engines on and the victim would've heard him in all probability. But that doesn't make as good a story as jeep fanatics getting buzzed by a maniac in a plane that miraculously flies with 0 engine noise prior to slamming into a guy jogging on the beach.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Phede Mihnao
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Should have pressed Z or R twice.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level