Closed Thread
Page 101 of 730 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    How do you guys deal with injuries from lifting? Tears or sprains mainly? I'm not too technical so excuse the vagueness, but I seriously pulled the muscle on the left side of my middle back that curves around part of my ribs. Not sure if it's a strain, sprain, or if I tore something, but it's been very slow to recover and it's a really shitty muscle to have injured (interferes with sleep / laughing / etc).

I've tried to keep my protein intake high. Lots of fish and chicken. Hot showers, etc. It seems to be slow to improve though.

see if your insurance will cover this, it's AMAZING, again A FUCKING MAZING.
    http://www.activerelease.com/

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    Starting Strength is not an easy workout by any stretch of the imagination.
    What I was about to say. Don't let simplicity fool anyone.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Meat View Post
    see if your insurance will cover this, it's AMAZING, again A FUCKING MAZING.
    http://www.activerelease.com/
    My insurance is good but I'm not sure it's THAT good. I'll look into it though just in case.

How do you guys deal with injuries from lifting? Tears or sprains mainly? I'm not too technical so excuse the vagueness, but I seriously pulled the muscle on the left side of my middle back that curves around part of my ribs. Not sure if it's a strain, sprain, or if I tore something, but it's been very slow to recover and it's a really shitty muscle to have injured (interferes with sleep / laughing / etc).

The large one that wraps around the side.

I've tried to keep my protein intake high. Lots of fish and chicken. Hot showers, etc. It seems to be slow to improve though.
    RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Although in your case Elevation isn't really possible. That's all you can really do. In the future the best thing to do is make sure you're stretching it. The muscle will most likely be tight after it heals so stretching will be important. Once it feels ok to stretch you can stretch your Lats by leaning to the opposite side of the muscle and raising your arm in the air above your head. Just have to be careful not to stretch it too hard or you can re-injure it.

Banned.

BG Level

My insurance is good but I'm not sure it's THAT good. I'll look into it though just in case.
    i think it's only like 40 for a session anyway, and it's more than worth it. trust a nigga

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Although in your case Elevation isn't really possible. That's all you can really do. In the future the best thing to do is make sure you're stretching it. The muscle will most likely be tight after it heals so stretching will be important. Once it feels ok to stretch you can stretch your Lats by leaning to the opposite side of the muscle and raising your arm in the air above your head. Just have to be careful not to stretch it too hard or you can re-injure it.
    So ice instead of heat? Or is the compression the heat?

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Pretty sure the rule is ice for the first 48 hours to prevent swelling, heat after that(to increase blood flow?)

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Weiing View Post
    Also with diet, there's a difference between knowing what's good to eat and enjoying life. For instance, if I want a cookie, I'll have it. However, I'll never touch soda again. Will you deny yourself a piece of cake? And far too often people "punish/reprimand" themselves for having that piece of cake, when there's no point if the other 80-90% of the time you eat well.
    oh god lol. i know you're my friend, but good lawd you nitpick at me way too much lol. I get results based on my own motivation and lifestyle that i chose to make. Its no secret i used to be as big as a fucking whale. food was my addiction. period. sometimes, in life, people, you know.... have different mindsets. me eating a triple bacon cheeseburger sounds tempting but i dont and eat it. EVER. know why? it was an addiction. 1 bite of that burger TO ME, is like telling someone who got out of rehab to take a line of coke 1 year after he got out. sure, it probably wont kill him. but its not gonna help him down the path of maintaining that cleanliness. ya, i know i can eat more junk that i normally take in. but for now, im taking it slow. if you dont like it, than its really too bad lol. its just another obstacle ill overcome. but for now, why cant cheating involve something organic and actually nutritional? why can i NOT have soda or cake? is it REALLY that much of a big deal? why cant i enjoy life more when i eat things i actually dont feel like shit afterwords when eaten? i get results. and im happy the way i am now. ppl talk about regimes and their awesome recipes for getting awesome bi's. but im actually living it. a lot of us are. dont look down on me just because i would rather spend 5 bucks on eggwhites at the store rather than making a quick stop at burger king so i can "enjoy life" more. im getting better in my own way about opening up in that category anyway.

im not trying to be a dick, but YOU have to look at things from MY point of view now, lol

ok, back to nerding it up. if you respond, i wont respond back till tomorrow most likely

the price of freedom is eternal vigilance

Old Merits
    BG Level

No I understand your point of view. sorry... started using "you" in the general sense while talking. I was directing it at everyone, not just you. Love you much.

edit:
    Side note- I'm all for picking healthier choices than not, as long as it doesn't become a mental disorder.

So ice instead of heat? Or is the compression the heat?
    Well I should've been a little more specific about that. Ice and compression are best at keeping the swelling down. Heat is what promotes blood flow in the area, which in turn helps the healing process. And the compression is just as simple as wrapping a bandage around the injury. So three seperate things really, but you don't need to do all of them. How long ago was it that you injured the muscle anyways?

Edit: Yeah, I know about.com, but it has some good descriptions about what I'm talking about. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/rehab/a/rice.htm

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Well I should've been a little more specific about that. Ice and compression are best at keeping the swelling down. Heat is what promotes blood flow in the area, which in turn helps the healing process. And the compression is just as simple as wrapping a bandage around the injury. So three seperate things really, but you don't need to do all of them. How long ago was it that you injured the muscle anyways?

Edit: Yeah, I know about.com, but it has some good descriptions about what I'm talking about. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/rehab/a/rice.htm
    I said a week in the other thread, but now that I think about it, more like 2 weeks. I suck at keeping track of time.

I said a week in the other thread, but now that I think about it, more like 2 weeks. I suck at keeping track of time.
    Ah ok, didn't know about the other thread. Anyways yeah you're at the point where the best thing to do is just heat and rest. Is it still painful or just uncomfortable at this point? If it isn't painful you can probably try some light stretching. And if you're anxious to get back to working out and believe it's ok, just be sure to go light and ice afterwards. Muscle injuries can be slow or fast to heal it just depends on the severity and how you treat the injury.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Ah ok, didn't know about the other thread. Anyways yeah you're at the point where the best thing to do is just heat and rest. Is it still painful or just uncomfortable at this point? If it isn't painful you can probably try some light stretching. And if you're anxious to get back to working out and believe it's ok, just be sure to go light and ice afterwards. Muscle injuries can be slow or fast to heal it just depends on the severity and how you treat the injury.
    It ranges from uncomfortable to painful depending on what I'm doing and how I move. (Sorry, jumped PCs and too lazy to log out -> log in)

Quote Originally Posted by Caiti View Post
    It ranges from uncomfortable to painful depending on what I'm doing and how I move. (Sorry, jumped PCs and too lazy to log out -> log in)
    Yeah, I'd just make sure to keep up with heating and icing the muscle then. Have you tried putting a hot and moist towel over the muscle while lying down? Taking a warm shower probably isn't going to be too helpful because the heat doesn't really get deep down into the muscle unless it has something to insulate it. Just be careful with the heat and make sure it isn't too hot that you can't leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Also, if you have to you can heat and ice a few times a day, but spread it out by several hours. After you've done some heat you can try some light stretching, but just be careful to ease up or stop if it starts getting painful.

Edit: For some reference I strained my bicep really bad once from doing too many curls one day and it swelled up like a balloon. I had to ice it every day for a nearly a week before the swelling was gone and I didn't get much strength back until about a month after the injury had occurred. So just be patient with it because these injuries can take some time before they're better and even then you probably won't be back at 100%.

Banned.

BG Level

i'll say it again, any sort of soft tissue injury... go get active release techniques, find a practitioner near you and give it a whirl. you have meat's personal guarantee that it'll help tremendously.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Will YOU personally give us a full refund if it doesn't work?

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    oh god lol. i know you're my friend, but good lawd you nitpick at me way too much lol. I get results based on my own motivation and lifestyle that i chose to make. Its no secret i used to be as big as a fucking whale. food was my addiction. period. sometimes, in life, people, you know.... have different mindsets. me eating a triple bacon cheeseburger sounds tempting but i dont and eat it. EVER. know why? it was an addiction. 1 bite of that burger TO ME, is like telling someone who got out of rehab to take a line of coke 1 year after he got out. sure, it probably wont kill him. but its not gonna help him down the path of maintaining that cleanliness. ya, i know i can eat more junk that i normally take in. but for now, im taking it slow. if you dont like it, than its really too bad lol. its just another obstacle ill overcome. but for now, why cant cheating involve something organic and actually nutritional? why can i NOT have soda or cake? is it REALLY that much of a big deal? why cant i enjoy life more when i eat things i actually dont feel like shit afterwords when eaten? i get results. and im happy the way i am now. ppl talk about regimes and their awesome recipes for getting awesome bi's. but im actually living it. a lot of us are. dont look down on me just because i would rather spend 5 bucks on eggwhites at the store rather than making a quick stop at burger king so i can "enjoy life" more. im getting better in my own way about opening up in that category anyway.

im not trying to be a dick, but YOU have to look at things from MY point of view now, lol

ok, back to nerding it up. if you respond, i wont respond back till tomorrow most likely
    Echoing what rich said, a lot of what makes me feel like a man begins with fitness. Sex drive, penis size, confidence, overall energy levels, the latter two obviously being the most important as they translate to ever facet of my life. As long as you're thinking big picture the urge to splurge(i'm a rapper) is always kept at a minimal and is easily controlled.

Since I've started to really eat healthy, i feel like my palette has grown tremendously, wherein before i need some high sodium, high fat junk to appreciate taste. Something as simple as idk grilled asparagus with evoo is now amazingly mouthwatering to me. when i crave now it's usually steak with some sea salt or some worst case some pinot noir sorbet.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, I'd just make sure to keep up with heating and icing the muscle then. Have you tried putting a hot and moist towel over the muscle while lying down? Taking a warm shower probably isn't going to be too helpful because the heat doesn't really get deep down into the muscle unless it has something to insulate it. Just be careful with the heat and make sure it isn't too hot that you can't leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Also, if you have to you can heat and ice a few times a day, but spread it out by several hours. After you've done some heat you can try some light stretching, but just be careful to ease up or stop if it starts getting painful.

Edit: For some reference I strained my bicep really bad once from doing too many curls one day and it swelled up like a balloon. I had to ice it every day for a nearly a week before the swelling was gone and I didn't get much strength back until about a month after the injury had occurred. So just be patient with it because these injuries can take some time before they're better and even then you probably won't be back at 100%.
    Sounds good, thanks.

Sath what kind of supplements are you taking? And how much sleep do you get every night? You're going for muscle growth right? If so, how many calories a day are you eating?

Quote Originally Posted by Meat View Post
    Echoing what rich said, a lot of what makes me feel like a man begins with fitness. Sex drive, penis size, confidence, overall energy levels, the latter two obviously being the most important as they translate to ever facet of my life. As long as you're thinking big picture the urge to splurge(i'm a rapper) is always kept at a minimal and is easily controlled.

Since I've started to really eat healthy, i feel like my palette has grown tremendously, wherein before i need some high sodium, high fat junk to appreciate taste. Something as simple as idk grilled asparagus with evoo is now amazingly mouthwatering to me. when i crave now it's usually steak with some sea salt or some worst case some pinot noir sorbet.
    I feel like I've reached a point with my diet that I know enough about calories and nutrition that I can pretty much have total freedom. I usually pick healthy options, loads of veggies, natural/simple ingredients and so one, but if I want a cheeseburger or something artificial/tasty I go for it.

I had red velvet cake flavored ice cream and cheese fries on saturday and I'm still losing weight lol. I just subbed out some calories from a snack later, and made sure to eat small amounts/portions of each. Indulging is very doable on a very frequent basis if you make sure to practice moderation with it.