• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Should my DNS server be the same as my router's IP address?

Forgive, not very well versed in this sort of thing but i'm still trying to figure out just wtf is going on with our Verizon Fios connection. I didn't want to necro bump my other thread as a lot of the info has changed.

I moved the router to the middle of the house on the first floor, Verizon sent me a new router, MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E. I tried getting a high gain antenna for it, but the ones at radioshack have a different hook up and wouldnt screw on (I would have thought they would be universal..but w/e)

Anyways I was reading about something with the dns server and setting it to "anything between 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.5 inclusive. Those are still official Verizon DNS servers" and I have honestly very little clue if I should do this. I know how to get into the router and see my DNS server which is set as the same as my router IP, 192.168.1.1.

Should I change this and how? What happens when I do change this or will it not matter at all in regards to a very slow connection.

Verizon told me over the phone that they do not guarantee wireless speed..and I have had mine drop to .382 to .791 the past 3 nights (Yes below even 1 mbps). We have 25/25 service but even the computer next to the router, wired into it is only getting 16/10 according to speedtest.net.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

8.8.8.8, and 8.8.4.4 for google's dns. Fuck your ISP's dns servers.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

For your computers, yes, in most cases you want the DNS server to be the same as your router address.

As for the lack of speed, I'd call Verizon about it. They'll check it out and send a tech if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    For your computers, yes, in most cases you want the DNS server to be the same as your router address.

As for the lack of speed, I'd call Verizon about it. They'll check it out and send a tech if needed.
    I've talked to them literally every day this week, they keep telling me they won't send a tech out because they don't guarantee the wireless speeds, and since I can't lug my computer down to the basement each time I call to connect directly to the router, they just end up giving me the run around or tell me to download their "in home agent" bullshit.

Hell 1/2 the time i'm on hold with them for so long by the time they get back to me my internet is back up to 15-17 over 12-15, and they can't diagnosis the issue.

This won't fuck with any shit correct? so long as I do it right (aka making sure to google up "how to change dns")

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This won't fuck with any shit correct? so long as I do it right (aka making sure to google up "how to change dns")
    Correct. There is no reason to use your ISP's dns servers.

Alright, thanks for the info.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Use this to find out which is best for ya~

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Yes, this.

So much better it hurts.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Use this to find out which is best for ya~

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
    sit your butt down. http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ooooo didn't know GRC had one. That's cool. I'll compare the two sometime and see the difference. Thxs Cai

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

lol np. I've tried both and prefer the GRC test just because it allows you to both test common public servers like openDNS and google and also lets you run a lengthy test on a set of 50 servers to determine which is actually best for you. Crazy thorough, but maybe more so than some care for.