• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Making sure CPU is fubar'd just in case

Running this past you guys just in case, as I ran out to Microcenter on a 60 min drive and picked up a E5700 to put fiances box. Took out her old Dual core 2.0ghz and put this in and it wont even POST now. Fans all working, power is flowing, video card is working.

Swapped back the old cpu and it works fine. Is there anything else i'm missing or is it safe to say this cpu is a piece of shit?

The CPU was only $50...i'm thinking im just going to buy her a AMD board, CPU, and some RAM tomorrow even if it costs an extra $150-200. Never had any issues with AMD, had two now with Intel.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Update your boards bios.

Alright i'll try that and see if it takes.

Hmmm, no clue how to flash this bios. Tried making a bootable CD but it won't take on startup and let me run the program. The Bios is def in need of an update, as it shows it currently has 2008 and there was a bios update for 2010.

Any tips on flashing the bios from a CD or USB stick?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

How you flash/update the BIOS completely depends on the mainboard and BIOS manufacturer. Usually you should get an update manual with the BIOS update...

Yeah she has no manual for it, not even sure who put it in her box for her. I got fed up trying to deal with it, it was old as shit anyways, so I scrapped it and got her a new mobo/cpu and RAM.

Thanks for the help though. Microcenter took back the old CPU no problem and I got a big deal on the cpu/mobo. so works out.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Turn it on without a heat sink, and put your finger on it.
    If it burns you within a few seconds, it's a bad CPU.

Seriously. GIGABYTE told me about this years ago, and it's held true when ever i've tried it.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Turn it on without a heat sink, and put your finger on it.
    If it burns you within a few seconds, it's a bad CPU.

Seriously. GIGABYTE told me about this years ago, and it's held true when ever i've tried it.
    The fuck.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

lol, that's the most hilarious thing I've read in the past 36 hours!

speaking of Microcenter, did anybody get lucky enough to grab those $199 2600k's? I already have a 2600k but that's a fucking STEAL

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

In all seriousness though if you turn your computer on and its hot enough to burn you before 10-15 seconds it probably is bad. I know it sounds hilarious I laughed myself but cpus shouldn't get that hot that fast unless you're doing some sweet overclocking.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Artemicon View Post
    In all seriousness though if you turn your computer on and its hot enough to burn you before 10-15 seconds it probably is bad. I know it sounds hilarious I laughed myself but cpus shouldn't get that hot that fast unless you're doing some sweet overclocking.
    It's a joke that you'll kill the CPU almost instantly if you turn it on w/o a heatsink (it'll get too hot), so doing this will "burn" your finger and make the CPU bad. Doesn't matter if you are OCing or at stock but any modern day CPU (well, any made in the last decade or more) will kill itself w/o a heatsink on

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Jojimbo View Post
    It's a joke that you'll kill the CPU almost instantly if you turn it on w/o a heatsink (it'll get too hot), so doing this will "burn" your finger and make the CPU bad. Doesn't matter if you are OCing or at stock but any modern day CPU (well, any made in the last decade or more) will kill itself w/o a heatsink on
    This isn't entirely true. With some underclocking (and by some, i mean a lot), some cpus can run stable at reasonable temps without a heatsink. In the vast majority of cases though, even if you don't instantly fry it, you'll almost certainly do quite a bit of damage to it. It's definitely incredibly stupid to try unless you really know what you're doing, and don't care if you destroy it.

Also, modern cpus will shut down/slow down if they get too hot, to prevent damage, but without a heatsink at all, i wouldn't count on that saving it.

Of course the only way to tell how hot is too hot is when the CPU shits itself.

You could probably tell if it overheats too fast with the 'finger' method, but you could just as easily fry a good CPU with a bit of carelessness that way too.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say so I'll just dispose of a myth quickly.

As hey said modern day cpus will throttle themselves and or shut off completely before their max cpu temperature threshold has been reached and these are considered "safe" temperatures. Where I work we mainly deal in high end westmere SB-E and opteron chips so I can't say for sure that the 1155 socket chips can take as much of a beating but intel cpus are surprisingly resilient and I have personally put both westmere and SB-E chips to the test and tried to overtemp them til failure and not a single time have I had a westmere fail post. SB-E would never shut off because they're throttled automatically to reduce temps. You will kill the cpu but it would take a long time since it'll never remain very hot for very long.

Obviously I don't recommend this but you're perfectly safe booting a cpu without a heatsink a few times, however you could spike over the threshold if you're overclocking because of temperatures rising too fast for the MB to shut down in time and this could hurt your CPU but lets face it if you're overclocking you're not going to have the heatsink off as it is.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Oh right, last I heard the CPU near instantly killed itself when turned on before it had a chance to throttle itself, guess w/e I got that from was wrong.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Oh right, last I heard the CPU near instantly killed itself when turned on before it had a chance to throttle itself, guess w/e I got that from was wrong.
    It is possible to instantly kill a cpu by running it without a heatsink. It's just not quite as easy as you might think.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I was being serious, Artemicon pretty much explained it for me.

A CPU wont kill itself in the matter of seconds, even if it doesnt throttle or turn off; with my little test you only need 5 seconds at most anyway.
    Turn it on, count to 5 and see if your finger burns (minor). It usually happens at 3 seconds, if you make it to 5, you should be good.