+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

i repeat, he's going to pee on something, or someone, you love.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Aylee View Post
    awesome thanks! I plan on putting a lot of time, effort, and money into this dog. I've wanted one since I was 12 but between my parents, ex having to many animals, apartments not suited/allowing, i've never been able to have one. I want to make sure I do it right. Unfortunately I live in a smaller population area and the closest costco is about a 2 hour drive. Any recommendations of good food I can find at walmart, petsmart, petco? Also can you provide a link to the "pull harness" to make sure I got the right thing? I was just planning on teaching it by taking it for walks by stopping when it tried to pull but if this is better then by all means I'll go this route. One of the reasons I picked the GSD breed is becuase of their intelligence. I am hoping it would make it easier to train them since it will be my first time. Also is this a good crate for them? http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Stages...rds=wire+crate or would you guys recommend something different?
    Here's the harness.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Premi...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

The crate is a bit extravagant. Just pick up one that has one entrance/exit. It will be cheaper. You will also need to get one of the largest ones available.

As for dog food here's the link to the dog food adviser. Ideally you want the 4 star or higher foods. 3 star is ok but then you're getting more filler and corn meal etc.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    i repeat, he's going to pee on something, or someone, you love.
    Yeah but its just a puppy so wont be that big of a deal. I dont really have that much stuff that it could pee on. He wont have access to my bedroom unless hes sleeping (while im still house training at least), the couch is leather... If he pisses on the cat the oh well, little dick deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Here's the harness.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Premi...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

The crate is a bit extravagant. Just pick up one that has one entrance/exit. It will be cheaper. You will also need to get one of the largest ones available.

As for dog food here's the link to the dog food adviser. Ideally you want the 4 star or higher foods. 3 star is ok but then you're getting more filler and corn meal etc.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/
    Awesome thank you! do you have any crate suggestions? About the biggest i could find on amazon with the divider. Few places I have been reading suggest a big crate with divider so it can grow into it, but able to section it off so it cant piss/shit in the back then sleep in the front.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Make sure you have a dominant personality otherwise the puppy/dog will walk all over you. Prepare for some INTEEENNSSEE shedding once the adult coat grows in. Bigger dogs can also have hip issues so be aware of that. Touch it's feet, ears, pads, face so it gets used to people being around there.

for brushes, you'll want a furminator brush. They have em at petsmart/co. Brush in the direction the hair grows and only make a few passes over the whole body, too much and you can hurt em due to the brushes bristles.

Honestly though I wouldn't suggest a GSD or any large dog for a first-time. They take A LOTTTATATATATAAAA work. Unless you get lucky and the dog has a lazy personality you'll need to spend 2+ hours a day exercising it to really get the stimulation flowing. If you really want a GSD just. be prepared to spend a TON of time on training/discipline etc. Where are you getting the dog btw? Please do not say a puppy shop in a mall or shopping center lol

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

On a note about food. Find good one like Brill said, but yes make sure it is convenient for you to get to. Dogs/cats once on a particular brand should basically stick to that brand for the rest of their life. You can wean them to a different brand but that takes time and can still give an upset stomach if not done correctly.

oh and when it comes to flea medication don't get over-the-counter products. Get Revolution from the vet, it's amazing. I'd also recommend looking into those chew treats that clean their teeth, but research on when they can start those.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    Make sure you have a dominant personality otherwise the puppy/dog will walk all over you. Prepare for some INTEEENNSSEE shedding once the adult coat grows in. Bigger dogs can also have hip issues so be aware of that. Touch it's feet, ears, pads, face so it gets used to people being around there.

for brushes, you'll want a furminator brush. They have em at petsmart/co. Brush in the direction the hair grows and only make a few passes over the whole body, too much and you can hurt em due to the brushes bristles.

Honestly though I wouldn't suggest a GSD or any large dog for a first-time. They take A LOTTTATATATATAAAA work. Unless you get lucky and the dog has a lazy personality you'll need to spend 2+ hours a day exercising it to really get the stimulation flowing. If you really want a GSD just. be prepared to spend a TON of time on training/discipline etc. Where are you getting the dog btw? Please do not say a puppy shop in a mall or shopping center lol
    I really dont like any small dogs besides maybe corgis. I've always wanted a large dog though since it will be a running partner when it gets old enough. I just don't see small dogs being able to keep up with their short legs, even at a jog. I plan on spending a lot of time on it though I use to love to play with my uncles dogs. I've researched GSD's a lot and they are really prone to hip displasia. Didn't think about touching their feet/ears to get them use to it, thanks that will make my life a lot easier. ATM im not sure where i'm going to get the puppy. I've found a few people with puppies for sell via facebook/craigslist/oodle. These people aren't really breeders I think (they claim that the pups are akc registered though) but defiantly not a mill or pet store. I live in Alabama so not much around in here in terms of real breeding, excluding the 1500 dollar puppies from royal blood line bull shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    On a note about food. Find good one like Brill said, but yes make sure it is convenient for you to get to. Dogs/cats once on a particular brand should basically stick to that brand for the rest of their life. You can wean them to a different brand but that takes time and can still give an upset stomach if not done correctly.

oh and when it comes to flea medication don't get over-the-counter products. Get Revolution from the vet, it's amazing. I'd also recommend looking into those chew treats that clean their teeth, but research on when they can start those.
    what can i expect to spend on this revolution? Is it better than frontline?

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

As far as dog food goes, look into Blue Buffalo wilderness. That stuff is awesome, especially if you wanna make him a running partner. Blue Buffalo in general is pretty awesome. Definitely talk to the sellers and ask about temperments/personalities of the puppies to get a good fit. Also, if space allows in your house you could try just buying a big fence and making a faux-kennel typea thing. My friends do that with their pitbull. Socialize the hell outta it as soon as ya can. Get it around people/dogs. Once it gets it's shots just take it with ya to petsmart or wherever to get some exposure.

Gunna Caeser Millan it up but when you're walking and it starts to go where you don't want it to go or if it's going all over the place, don't feel bad to drag it or pull it. If it does a behavior you don't like like barking at other dogs/bicycles/whatever. Grab it's muzzle and just hold it and glare the shit out of it. Be stern as hell and have powerful energy, it should pick up on it. Any bad behavior can be treated this way, hold the muzzle until it calms down or you get the behavior you're looking for.

another thing that will sound mean/weird as shit that I do with my guy is when we're playing I'll roll him on his back and just push on him a little bit and say things to him. I don't hurt him or anything like that or say mean things. Just exert my dominance in a playful manner, then I give him a cucumber and he goes bonkers for it

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Ya I feed my cats blue buffalo. Really good food.

@ flea meds: I haven't needed to buy it in awhile since where I live now it isn't too practical to walk my cats, but ya revolution is more expensive than frontline. I personally think though it's worth it. Revolution is much more effective and faster acting than frontline. Worst case, try frontline first and if you don't like it, switch. Look into when dogs can start having them. Whatever you do though avoid flea powder products (ex. Flea collars or can powder) as they have been linked to cancer.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks a ton for all the advice! I'll probably just go strait with the Revolution... Rather spend the money up front then have the puppy (and myself/cat) be miserable with the flees. Also I do have a indoor cat that never goes outdoors. Would I need to get him some flea shit also? The dog will be on it for sure, but don't the fleas have to bite them in order to die, meaning they could jump off to my cat first? Sounds like Blue buffalo is the food i'll go with lol. Any suggestions for treats to reward the dog with during training? You mentioned cucumber, but sounds bulky and annoying to carry around to reward good behavior with. I found this crate that includes the dividers for 65 with free shipping (I have prime), would it be big enough? http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Stages...rds=wire+crate

edit:

UGH! 58 dollars for a 24 pound bag, is that right? lol read that GSD's average around 40 pounds of food a month so thats ~$100 a month in just food. Also having trouble finding revolution for 50-80 pound dogs, and when is it ok to start giving a puppy flea meds?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Holy crap. That's a shit load. The CostCo food is 35 bones for a 40 pound bag.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Holy crap. That's a shit load. The CostCo food is 35 bones for a 40 pound bag.
    how much is a membership, and would samsclub sell it for around that price you think? (i work at Walmart so get a discount on sams club)

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I got my dog his second round of shots and I noticed that where he got his shot a small lump formed under the skin in that same area. Is this a normal thing to happen? I noticed it yesterday and I wanted to call the vet, but they are closed until Monday.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Prepare to vacuum and sweep 5x a week. German Sheps shed like crazy.

Banned.

BG Level

You can feed raw and that can go from free to about the same the average decent food bag. Also Kohan is on the money with her advice though I dont suscribe to the crate training if you have a proper backyard.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I don't care what you do but for the love of god post puppy pictures.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Aylee View Post
    Awesome thank you for this, espically the running part. I had no idea they needed to wait so long. Will it be OK to take my puppy to places like pets mart AFTER he has had his first parvo shot?
    Yes. Before parvo shots, I did not let my puppy socialize with other dogs, except a few select occasions with a very close friend's well cared-for dog. Afterward, I took her to places like PetCo. Once she had her rabies shot, I let my roommates take her to dog parks with areas for small dogs, and so on. You'll gradually increase their amount of social exposure as they get older. Before you can do it with dogs, you do it with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylee
    Any suggestions on toys to have for her when she comes home? I plan on getting a wire crate, clicker, collar leashe, and plastic peanut butter tube thingy, and probably a stuffed animal to sleep with.
    I believe that other people advised against the stuffed animal already, and I would have to say that stuffed toys are fine, but you must be careful. A lot of those toys come with warnings stating that the dog shouldn't be left alone with them, and that's because they may tear the fabric, and then swallow it and/or the contents. When my puppy was very small, I did let her sleep with some of these toys, but I took them away and disposed of them as soon as they showed signs of wear. I also regularly washed them (with completely non-toxic soap, naturally—the kind you could swallow and only get mild indigestion over, if that). Now that she is older, I do not let her keep anything soft besides her blanket, which she gums for comfort while she's losing her teeth. (Hard toys, even those designed for teething puppies, aren't necessarily something they'll like chewing while their teeth are falling out—and they will chew, a lot, and this is okay and normal.) Even that I trim loose threads from every now and then to ensure she's not swallowing anything. Anything else that's soft is only accessible while she's playing with me or my roommates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin
    Also Kohan is on the money with her advice though I dont suscribe to the crate training if you have a proper backyard.
    Thank you for the vote of confidence. The matter of having a dog outside is a sticking point for me, however. It depends upon how often you leave them out there. Generally, it's recommended to not have the outdoors be a dog's permanent home. This mindset is unfortunately reinforced a lot (e.g., home owners refusing to rent to people who keep their pets indoors), but it is not beneficial to dogs. They are social animals, as are humans, and like us, they expect to mingle in the same home as their loved ones. To suggest that their home is outside while yours is inside is to imply that they are "other," which isn't good for their mental state.

Some more reading on the subject: http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-ca...-dog-outdoors/

For those who would insist upon having an animal outside, some information on doing it as right as possible: http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanim.../livingoutside

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Also, since pictures are the order of the day, here are two. The first is from September, shortly after she was brought home:

The second is much more recent—from November, in fact. It's her socializing with the dog mentioned in the previous post, that being a black lab:

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

labs are great for that, because they truly give zero fucks

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    Yes. Before parvo shots, I did not let my puppy socialize with other dogs, except a few select occasions with a very close friend's well cared-for dog. Afterward, I took her to places like PetCo. Once she had her rabies shot, I let my roommates take her to dog parks with areas for small dogs, and so on. You'll gradually increase their amount of social exposure as they get older. Before you can do it with dogs, you do it with people.

I believe that other people advised against the stuffed animal already, and I would have to say that stuffed toys are fine, but you must be careful. A lot of those toys come with warnings stating that the dog shouldn't be left alone with them, and that's because they may tear the fabric, and then swallow it and/or the contents. When my puppy was very small, I did let her sleep with some of these toys, but I took them away and disposed of them as soon as they showed signs of wear. I also regularly washed them (with completely non-toxic soap, naturally—the kind you could swallow and only get mild indigestion over, if that). Now that she is older, I do not let her keep anything soft besides her blanket, which she gums for comfort while she's losing her teeth. (Hard toys, even those designed for teething puppies, aren't necessarily something they'll like chewing while their teeth are falling out—and they will chew, a lot, and this is okay and normal.) Even that I trim loose threads from every now and then to ensure she's not swallowing anything. Anything else that's soft is only accessible while she's playing with me or my roommates.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. The matter of having a dog outside is a sticking point for me, however. It depends upon how often you leave them out there. Generally, it's recommended to not have the outdoors be a dog's permanent home. This mindset is unfortunately reinforced a lot (e.g., home owners refusing to rent to people who keep their pets indoors), but it is not beneficial to dogs. They are social animals, as are humans, and like us, they expect to mingle in the same home as their loved ones. To suggest that their home is outside while yours is inside is to imply that they are "other," which isn't good for their mental state.

Some more reading on the subject: http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-ca...-dog-outdoors/

For those who would insist upon having an animal outside, some information on doing it as right as possible: http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanim.../livingoutside
    Awesome thanks, so to make sure on your first point it is okay for me to take the puppy to petCo and stuff AFTER the FIRST shoot? I know the puppy will already have its first shot when I pick it up. So in theory I could take it to pet smart to shop for some toys after picking her up Wednesday? I live with 2 other people atm so It will get a little social time there, I also have about 5-6 friends that regularly come over (each at least once a week, although not usually at the same time). After a week or two of them + my room mates I should be able to start introducing it to my friends dogs slowly?

So just to be cautious no stuffed animal and sleep on a towel and give her that and a blanket in her crate at night? Do you have any toys that you found and recommend that your dog enjoyed while teething?

Defiantly keeping the dog inside with me unless im outside activally playing with her, jogging, or bathroom. Another reason I picked the GSD breed is because they seem to form such a close bond with their owner and want to be with them 24/7. Also how do I ensure that the dog knows that I'm her owner and not my gf or other room mate? Im sure that since im the one taking her out the majority of the time and playing with her a lot she will fall into it, but still scared that she will play with my gf and just fall in love with her and call dibs >.>. How do I go about letting my room mates play with her, while she still knows that I'm her owner.

And since its been demanded, here are the pictures that the owner sent me:

Mother (I assume the puppy will turn out like this)

Father

PUPPY!

note: I'm not set on the puppy, we are going to look at her Wednesday and if shes healthy and feels right then we will get her. Although GF loves her cuz she thinks that the brown patch on her chest looks like the batman symbol :/

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    labs are great for that, because they truly give zero fucks
    This is indeed largely true. Though when she did give a fuck, it consisted of her standing up and abruptly stepping on my dog to make her lay down and stop. It was immediately effective, and amazingly hilarious.

I'll try to respond to Aylee's latest post in a bit, but if I don't get around to it, the aforementioned Daily Puppy site is a good general reference—that, and the ASPCA website. Both have many articles.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...ing-your-puppy

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...ing-your-puppy