Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Colbert had a very Report moment last night with his Myers-Briggs interview.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Colbert had a very Report moment last night with his Myers-Briggs interview.
    I feel like he's been channeling it more and more lately. His interview with Warren felt like he was in character.

Quote Originally Posted by Palin View Post
    I feel like he's been channeling it more and more lately. His interview with Warren felt like he was in character.
    I felt that too. I think he is struggling with feeling that his character is funnier than him. Or just realized that it's too late to break out from that mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    I felt that too. I think he is struggling with feeling that his character is funnier than him. Or just realized that it's too late to break out from that mold.
    I think that's something he'll be able to evolve from as time goes on, at least he should be able to with this show. But at the same time, there are certain aspects of the Report character that is Colbert and probably won't be apparent to most viewers.

When the hell's John Oliver come back on, I thought it was September?

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I think he was taking two weeks off (with this being the second).

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Wot? He had an episode on sunday.

Also, PewDiePie is coming on colbert tomorrow.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Didn't feel like making a new thread so I figured I'd bump this one, Trevor Noah made his debut on The Daily Show tonight. I thought it was actually pretty good. He did try to be a little too much like Jon at times (mainly when he was making funny voices) and it did feel a little forced, but when he was doing his own thing it worked really well. His style of comedy is definitely more vulgar compared to Jon's, and while that might turn some people off, I liked it.

Like Colbert on the Late Show, it'll probably take him some time to get into his own groove, but I thought it was good for a first episode.
    Finally saw the first Daily Show with Noah and it was very good! He seemed pretty comfortable in the first two blocs. The Kevin Hart interview was a little awkward but I think that's probably the hardest part for someone who's never hosted a show before. Anyway I'm optimistic he'll be a fine replacement for Stewart.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

When Noah was on Colbert he talked about how he used to host a show in South Africa

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fair enough, maybe it was just opening night jitters then. But he still seemed quite nervous.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Plus I imagine his other show was nowhere quite as big. He said they didn't have the budget to pay for pics or videos so he would have to draw or describe anything he talked about lol

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Wot? He had an episode on sunday.

Also, PewDiePie is coming on colbert tomorrow.
    Welp I won't be watching I guess.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Welp I won't be watching I guess.
    Oh get out. Whatever you may think of the guy, it's nice to see something vidya related on TV.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Nope.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Who or what is a PewDiePie

Wait, nope, don't wanna know

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Well he's definitely playing a character again. It may be slightly different without inherent right-wing bias, but it's a character all the same. Same mannerisms, jokes, tropes and such.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Or thats just his sense of humor lol. This is how Stephen Colbert makes people laugh, and whether he's pretending to be extreme right wing or just being himself, this is what he thinks is funny.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I don't think its really fair to expect him to change his comedic style just because he dropped the character. He no longer pretends to hold crazy conservative views and thats really all thats gonna be gone. His style and delivery is still gonna be similar if not the same.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I wholeheartedly disagree.

For the first couple of weeks, he started to distance himself from that line of comedy. He went for a more intelligent, thoughtful and analytical approach -- channeling Jon Stewart's style to a very large degree. It seemed like this would be closer to The Daily Show than The Cobert Report, and it was the perfect blend of old-style late-night with the Comedy Central spin. There were many things about the show that needed a little tweaking but that was not one of them. It was grand and thought-provoking, and it was the perfect tribute to Letterman's legacy as an insightful and cunning host, comedian and interviewer.

The reversion into the (modified) character is just cheap laughs. And that's not nearly as entertaining.

Colbert himself summed up the differences between him and Stewart as

“Jon [Stewart] deconstructs the news, I falsely construct the news,” explained Stephen Colbert at the New Yorker Festival.
    Even without the political bias, the "falsely constructing the news" approach does not have the same legs and will not be as successful long term. It will very likely be successful, but it will not have the same impact.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree.

For the first couple of weeks, he started to distance himself from that line of comedy. He went for a more intelligent, thoughtful and analytical approach -- channeling Jon Stewart's style to a very large degree. It seemed like this would be closer to The Daily Show than The Cobert Report, and it was the perfect blend of old-style late-night with the Comedy Central spin. There were many things about the show that needed a little tweaking but that was not one of them. It was grand and thought-provoking, and it was the perfect tribute to Letterman's legacy as an insightful and cunning host, comedian and interviewer.

The reversion into the (modified) character is just cheap laughs. And that's not nearly as entertaining.

Colbert himself summed up the differences between him and Stewart as

Even without the political bias, the "falsely constructing the news" approach does not have the same legs and will not be as successful long term. It will very likely be successful, but it will not have the same impact.
    I think the writers and him are definitely going back and forth on how to write his jokes. They've been for 5+ years doing jokes as the "knowledgeable idiot" character so it comes easy to them. They definitely revert back to it as part of their comfort zone during weaker sketches.

But to a degree it is also Colbert's personality/humor. I think the jokes he makes about "playing a character his entire life" and the "Who is me" segment have some profound truths that both Stephen and the writers are trying to figure out. It'll take some time before the balance is perfect, and we'll see some back and forth on him being "himself" or the likeable idiot, or the mix of both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag