+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've got the last night of my first run as DM coming up tomorrow night and I want to do this epic fight where each of the three PCs are in command of a group of mercs but I'm having trouble balancing the encounter. I made a spreadsheet and ran it for assuming the mercs could, without the players, kill the boss in anywhere from 10 to 16 rounds, but I have trouble in gauging the effectiveness of PCs and if they're gonna turn that 10 to 16 into 5 to 8 or something. In any case, I'ma start using some premade adventurers because I have no time cuz finals and laziness.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Vek'nilash

Quick question - anyone here play PF at all? If so, any of you guys running any groups online through roll20 or anything similar?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Have a group playing regular dnd . Uses roll20 though lol

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Vek'nilash

Darn haha. Don't really have the time to go to the local game store and try to find a group so I was hoping maybe I could get an online group here instead! I'm still barely getting into the pen and paper rpg. Bought the beginner's box for pathfinder but haven't gotten any games under my belt yet at all

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Time to drag this thread out of cold storage

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...gs-dd-is-back/
    Despite the growing popularity of games like Pathfinder or Fate Core, there is one game that wags the tail of tabletop gaming, and that is Dungeons & Dragons from Wizards of the Coast. This summer, at the Gen Con gaming convention, the first book of the new, fifth edition of the game that started everything in this field of gaming is being released.

There’s a lot that’s new to cover.

First off, there will be a Starter Box, probably similar in approach to the D&D 4th Edition Red Box that was released in homage to the old Basic D&D boxed sets from the 70s and 80s. According to Amazon, this boxed set will retail for $19.99 and be the “gateway to action-packed stories of the imagination.” While the description say that it “contains the essential rules of the game plus everything you need to play heroic characters on perilous adventures in worlds of fantasy,” most likely it will be have enough for a few levels of play and a few monsters.

From that we will see the rollout of the core D&D books will be staggered for “quality reasons.” D&D 4th Edition was one of the few where all three of the core books came out at the same time, and there were a number of printing-related quality issues and distribution issues due to stores having to buy a number of copies of all three books at once. The Players Handbook will come out at this summer’s Gen Con and then be released into distribution. This allows for buzz to be generated coming out of the convention to lift up sales for the general release.

From the official press release we get: “For players eager to sink their teeth into the Tyranny of Dragons storyline around the gaming table, two new tabletop adventures will also release this year. Hoard of the Dragon Queen (August 19) and The Rise of Tiamat (October 21) will take players into the depths of the dragon’s lair, pitting them against Tiamat, the most fearsome dragon in D&D’s history.” These adventures, filling the gaps between the release of the core books are likely also intended to give gaming groups some monsters to fight against until the September 30th release of the Monster Manual.

What is interesting is that these adventures were not designed in house by the Wizards of the Coast team. In conjunction with Kobold Press, designers Wolfgang Bauer (founder of Kobold Press and former designer and developer for Wizards of the Coast and TSR) and Steve Winter (former editor and designer at Wizards of the Coast and TSR, as well as being one of the creators of the adventure that would become the computer game Pool of Radiance) have done the design work on these adventures for Wizards of the Coast. This bit of news has sparked a lot of conjecture as to the nature of licensing for the new edition of D&D.

If you’ve been following the ongoing playtest for what Wizards of the Coast had been calling “D&D Next,” you already have some idea of what will be in these books. If you haven’t been following this along, a quick Google of “D&D Next playtest” will give you much of the information that you will need.

Right now, it seems like much of the online “arguing” is around the staggered release schedule of the books, because gamers tend to want everything now, but it will probably settle back into complaints about the hardcover, full-color books costing too much money (at $50 a piece).

Expect more as we get closer to Gen Con. This is definitely the industries big release of the season, and it will be setting the tone for a lot of what happens over the next year. This is only a gut feeling, based on whispers and rumors, but I think that the biggest fallout that we will see won’t be coming from Wizards of the Coast, but when Paizo announces the new edition of Pathfinder at some point next year.
    New logo and book covers through the link.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yeah, currently going through two campaigns with some buddies. 5e is mad fun and a lot faster paced than 4e. It's focused more on gameplay and roleplaying and less on technical mechanics and specific instances. If you use Roll20, it'll basically allow you to work less with grids and more with theater of the mind.

VERY easy to get into. Definitely recommend picking up the Player's Handbook and Starter Set if you're looking to dabble into it.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

5e is very fast-paced and engaging. You won't be bogged down by rules or technicalities as often at all. I haven't plaued Pathfinder but I find it's a very nice change of pace from 4e.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Bumping this. I'm about to start DM'ing a text-based Pathfinder game and I'm looking for resources.

Reading the back posts, 5e seems like a giant step up from both PF and 4e. I've tried to find a good 5e online character sheet, preferably based in Excel/Sheets so I can go over it with my members in case they want to try 5e instead.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Best I could find in 5 minutes: http://www.regalgoblins.com/5e%20Character%20Sheet.pdf

Probably could find better elsewhere though. I only used the built in stuff on roll20.net since I only played with friends online.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

DM'd my new PF game tonight.

Went pretty well. Had a planned party death with resurrection that caught everyone off guard and caused some hilarity.

It's only 2 people for now but we may add 1 or 2 more in the next few weeks depending on how I do.

I modified PF to speed up and simplify some things.

-Added advantage and disadvantage for 5e and nixed all the positionally specific modifiers. It's basically my discretion.
    -Changed heal to have 2 charges of 1d6+WISmod per day. You can spend both at once to use a single 1d6 in combat (They have no healer and are fairly low HP)
    -All crits at Nat 20 only. 2x only (No ranged in the party either)
    -Modified XP to a simpler points system (1pt "small" enemy" 5 pt "large enemy" 1pt successful negotiation or bluff, etc) with a scaling point level.

We're doing voice only via Discord using a GChat convo for rolls and OOC.

Seemed to go over pretty well as all three of us are fairly new.

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Sounds good. If you want to dabble in using roll20.net it's pretty much a virtual table that does all dice rolls and has an interface where you can do your prep on different tabs. It has character sheets built into the site for a bunch of systems including Pathfinder and D&D 5e and makes rolling easy once you are familiar with how everything works. Also has built in VoIP if you want to skip using discord.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Sounds good. If you want to dabble in using roll20.net it's pretty much a virtual table that does all dice rolls and has an interface where you can do your prep on different tabs. It has character sheets built into the site for a bunch of systems including Pathfinder and D&D 5e and makes rolling easy once you are familiar with how everything works. Also has built in VoIP if you want to skip using discord.
    We were using it in our last campaign that died out (Our DM couldn't deal with 4 of our members sidetalking the whole game and ragequit) and I like the format. We may start using it but I want to avoid the dungeon mapping and movement stuff. I want to focus much more on character development and imagination-based fighting. That being said, the sheeting and prep stuff is getting better every day on their site.

We're currently using a pathfinder google sheet sharing system. All sheets are shared with me. They can only see their own character stuff. I keep my stuff offline in an Excel with all my tables and a nifty sheet that helps me run battles very efficiently.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

That sounds like a good system to use for character sheets. I know a few of my fellow D&Ders here give themselves small upgrades that they shouldn't every week. Thankfully, I never DM them and its always like a group of 12.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    That sounds like a good system to use for character sheets. I know a few of my fellow D&Ders here give themselves small upgrades that they shouldn't every week. Thankfully, I never DM them and its always like a group of 12.
    12?! Jesus, your DM is a saint.

My players both told me this morning they like my storytelling method and the simplified shit I put in so we're gonna continue our adventures!

I introduced a pretty interesting custom item based on one of the characters.

Cube of Evil Life -
    Once every 3 days, this cube will charge with a daedric resurrection spell.
    Holds 2 max. 12 second cast (2 rounds).
    A conscious life MUST be sacrificed for each spell to function. If the target is unimpeded, they can roll a DC19 to block. No bonuses. 300 arcane damage to drain.

It also has a secret purpose that neither of them know about. :D

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I ended up quitting that 12 person campaign after a bit. There was like 5 people in it who read every damn book and would spoil everything and have shitty attitudes.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    I ended up quitting that 12 person campaign after a bit. There was like 5 people in it who read every damn book and would spoil everything and have shitty attitudes.
    That's lame. My last game fell apart because of too many cooks in the kitchen too. They'd be talking OOC for like 10 minutes at a stretch and our DM self-destructed and collapsed the walls on everyone.

BG Level

I will agree that narrative and storytelling usually trumps slogging through combat on a grid. Most of the games I played 10+ years ago was freeform abstract combat.

Also for your charged heal, would you consider when out of combat maybe using the Short Rest mechanic from 5e instead where you get pool of hit die equal to character level. It's used during a 1 hour rest and heals yourself for <hit die>+con. example: level 2 fighter is down to 2 hp and needs to take a short rest. Can roll d10+con, and if the first roll sucked, can roll another d10+con expending the hit die pool. You get half your hit die back (rounded down) after a long rest (or at the start of the day.) The example fighter would restore 1 hit die at the start of the next day. Just a small thought to help a healer-less party between battles. Benefits those who have higher hit-die obviously.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I will agree that narrative and storytelling usually trumps slogging through combat on a grid. Most of the games I played 10+ years ago was freeform abstract combat.

Also for your charged heal, would you consider when out of combat maybe using the Short Rest mechanic from 5e instead where you get pool of hit die equal to character level. It's used during a 1 hour rest and heals yourself for <hit die>+con. example: level 2 fighter is down to 2 hp and needs to take a short rest. Can roll d10+con, and if the first roll sucked, can roll another d10+con expending the hit die pool. You get half your hit die back (rounded down) after a long rest (or at the start of the day.) The example fighter would restore 1 hit die at the start of the next day. Just a small thought to help a healer-less party between battles. Benefits those who have higher hit-die obviously.
    I actually added this in. I did it a little differently. Short Rest is d6+CON, Long rest is full HP and full hit die restore. I'm keeping it very forgiving because one of the players is VERY new. I'm new as hell as well along with this being my first DM. Anything that simplifies my job without compromising the game is very welcome.

BG Level

Yea early character death is such a buzzkill. Heck any character death evokes some sort of rage response. And all you can do is blame the dice sometimes.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yea early character death is such a buzzkill. Heck any character death evokes some sort of rage response. And all you can do is blame the dice sometimes.
    They fall how they fall.

I rolled 3 1's in a roll last night when I ambushed them on a path. I had two wolves run into eachother and knocked eachother out for a round.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag