+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

at this point in their careers i have way more faith in dennis villeneuve putting together a good coherent film than ridley

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    I feel like a minority here, but I enjoyed Prometheus. It wasn't on the level of the first two Alien films, but it was enjoyable on it's own. I was looking forward to seeing where the plot with the engineers and Dr Shaw went...

Spoiler: show
    ....And they went and shit on all of that. David just exterminates the engineers and retcons that plot. Then they just spend the rest of the film setting up some Xenomorph action for the end, and we have to endure the stupidity of the Covenant's crew.

I would've liked to see serious Danny McBride and James Franco interact. Could've killed off a lesser known actor from the crew (to establish the crew too paranoid to return to cryo sleep plot point) and let those two interact. It would've made the first half of the film less painful. Fassbender obviously saved this movie, and while I wouldn't mind seeing David experiment more and establish his Xenomorph empire, I think it's time to put this series to rest.

Echoing what Jay from RLM said about these prequels. Part of the charm of the first Alien film was the unknown in space. But, typical Hollywood doing it's thing and revisiting old franchises for nostalgia dollars. The movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Doubt I'll watch this a second time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I was mad about that too. I was excited with the epilogue trailer they put up but then it was just like. Oh. David fucking killed her. I also liked how apparently androids can flirt with the ships AI and get access to anywhere they want. Great security system. The David/Walter scenes were cringey as fuck too.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Regarding the ending "twist"

I also thought they were taking the ship's AI down for a few so people wouldn't question it when the David reveal came. But then the AI was back up in the next scene and she never once mentioned to the crew that David is there, not Walter. Wat

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Regarding the ending "twist"

I also thought they were taking the ship's AI down for a few so people wouldn't question it when the David reveal came. But then the AI was back up in the next scene and she never once mentioned to the crew that David is there, not Walter. Wat
    Didn't David change his voice and know Walter's pass-code to "trick" Mother?

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

You'd think the AI wouldn't be so easily deceived as that He's an older model and there should be signs of that to a computer.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/a...h-shaw-problem

Anyway thought that was an interesting read about the mess of a story these movies have.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    I was mad about that too. I was excited with the epilogue trailer they put up but then it was just like. Oh. David fucking killed her. I also liked how apparently androids can flirt with the ships AI and get access to anywhere they want. Great security system. The David/Walter scenes were cringey as fuck too.
    Mother was rebooted per David's recommendation, so when he got up there he haxed his way into the frame. This is more evident when Mother gets back online and detects only the Xenomorph as an 'external/unregistered life form.' The scenes between David and Walter were '2deep4u' kinda deal for most, but imo they were the best part of the movie. Last, Scott (it was more the studio, actually) ditched the whole Engineers backstory due to the massive backlash from the mouthbreathers who hated Prometheus. Shaw's fate was horrible but she's the mother of the Xenomorphs.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Androids don't have lungs, you need air to be able to play a flute, immersion ruined. 0/10

BG Level

just got back from this. solid shit tier movie. nobody in it can count past potato. it's a gorgeous piece of shit.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Isn't that the same story with Prometheus? A gorgeous piece of shit? Is this a overly pretentious piece of shit with diehard nuthuggers telling me I wouldn't understand it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It's pretty straightforward compared to Prometheus. I think people are being overly harsh on it personally. There was some stupid shit, but I was entertained the majority of the movie. /shrug

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Isn't that the same story with Prometheus? A gorgeous piece of shit? Is this a overly pretentious piece of shit with diehard nuthuggers telling me I wouldn't understand it?

It would clearly go over your head, so steer clear!

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Alien: Covenant (May 19, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    It would clearly go over your head, so steer clear!
    Are we talking more or less space Jesus? Or cliche android stereotype with a God complex?

These are the questions I need to ask before I hurt my brain trying to understand this super duper deep alien lore.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The lore isn't really that deep tho. Scott clearly hates everything from the series he didn't personally direct, so the only reference material needed is the original film and Prometheus.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    It's pretty straightforward compared to Prometheus. I think people are being overly harsh on it personally. There was some stupid shit, but I was entertained the majority of the movie. /shrug
    As soon as the movie ended I had genuinely felt like I had watched a confused B-movie with unlimited budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Are we talking more or less space Jesus? Or cliche android stereotype with a God complex?

These are the questions I need to ask before I hurt my brain trying to understand this super duper deep alien lore.
    No lore, at all. It is basically someones attempt to erase all of prometheus from the storyline so it didn't have to expand upon any of the lore or questions of it.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Saw this. It was a bad movie and you should feel bad for defending it.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Btw for the people that are confused as to what happened to the second neomorph that vanished from the field.
    It was apparently supposed to show up when daniels was fleeing from the temple and fight the xenomorph.
    Other things that the movie apparently changed/cut:

BG Level

Yeah see that wouldn't have been nearly as fucktarded.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I saw it this past weekend even though people here and on Rotten Tomato's said it was terrible. I had to see for myself because I like the Alien movies. These prequel movies could have been good if they were separate movies that had nothing to do with with Alien. This movie was both good and bad. I know that doesn't make any sense but I will try to explain in the spoiler if you will give me a chance and read it. Don't worry. I'm not going to tell you it's 2deep4u.

First let me get any of that out of the way. The only deep part of the movies, that's not really that deep, is that it's folly for humans to try and create life. At least that's the message I think Ridley Scott is going for here. You have to admit by now that the central figure of these movies is David. He is the protagonist/antagonist whatever. And his reasons for doing what he has done so far are not complicated at all. Mr. Weyland creates a sentient android and treats him badly his whole life and uses him pretty much as a servant. You see this in Prometheus when in Weyland's recording to the crew he is dismissive about David's worth even saying he has no soul. David had a visible look of disheartenment on his face during that scene. The crew treat him about the same like a mere machine except for Dr. Shaw. I remember one of them calling him a ,"toaster" or something in his presence. That's where it all starts. His feelings of resentment towards humans. That's why he poisons the same person's drink (I think I can't remember) with the dark liquid knowing it will probably slowly kill him to teach him a lesson and starts the whole mess. In Covenant it's pretty much the same thing. He kills the Engineers out of revenge for trying to kill him and Dr. Shaw who he admits he was in love with. But a decade is a long time and he probably decided she was just like any other human and unworthy and killed her to further his experiments. He then goes on to make mutants out of the indigenous life of the planet that go on to kill off all the other animals just because he can. Then the Covenant arrives and you know the rest. David is basically a psychopath with father issues who has developed a god complex.

There were good parts about it. I liked the locations were they shot it. They were beautiful and exotic looking. The cinematography was great. There was none of that shaky camera shit were you couldn't tell who was getting attacked by the alien and stuff. I liked most of the dialog although half of it seemed like it consisted of the word, "fuck". It was relatable common sense type of talk. The actress that played Daniels did a good job. I liked Walter. He was brave and noble. The reasons these movies are bad is that they spit on the already established lore of the classic Alien movies. My biggest problem with Covenant was the reveal that David created the Xenomorph. In the original film the crew discovers the Engineers ship on the planet and when they find the pilot Dallas comments that, "Been dead a long time.. fossilized." Generally most scientists consider something to be a fossil after 10,000 years. I don't know how much time passes between the prequels and the origin but it's a safe bet it's not that long. When I saw Alien the first time I assumed the Space Jockey's, as they were called back then, landed on that planet and discovered the Xenomorph species. Or they found it on some other planet and took it with them. They tried to study it but they got out of hand just like it does for humans in the movies and the Engineer of that ship programmed a repeating signal to warn other intelligent species to stay away, or just other Engineers. But now they have retroconed that and left a HUGE plot hole. Scott has said that the next movie with link up the prequels with the original Alien but unless he pulls some magic out of his ass I don't see how that is going to happen. They also tried to recapture the feel of the original movie but failed horribly. It wasn't scary, you knew whenever someone was going to die. Towards the end they knew where the aliens were at all times and even had them on the ship's damn surveillance cameras! They also reused some of the original music from Alien which I thought was cheap. I'm rambling so I'll stop here.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I saw it this past weekend even though people here and on Rotten Tomato's said it was terrible. I had to see for myself because I like the Alien movies. These prequel movies could have been good if they were separate movies that had nothing to do with with Alien. This movie was both good and bad. I know that doesn't make any sense but I will try to explain in the spoiler if you will give me a chance and read it. Don't worry. I'm not going to tell you it's 2deep4u.

First let me get any of that out of the way. The only deep part of the movies, that's not really that deep, is that it's folly for humans to try and create life. At least that's the message I think Ridley Scott is going for here. You have to admit by now that the central figure of these movies is David. He is the protagonist/antagonist whatever. And his reasons for doing what he has done so far are not complicated at all. Mr. Weyland creates a sentient android and treats him badly his whole life and uses him pretty much as a servant. You see this in Prometheus when in Weyland's recording to the crew he is dismissive about David's worth even saying he has no soul. David had a visible look of disheartenment on his face during that scene. The crew treat him about the same like a mere machine except for Dr. Shaw. I remember one of them calling him a ,"toaster" or something in his presence. That's where it all starts. His feelings of resentment towards humans. That's why he poisons the same person's drink (I think I can't remember) with the dark liquid knowing it will probably slowly kill him to teach him a lesson and starts the whole mess. In Covenant it's pretty much the same thing. He kills the Engineers out of revenge for trying to kill him and Dr. Shaw who he admits he was in love with. But a decade is a long time and he probably decided she was just like any other human and unworthy and killed her to further his experiments. He then goes on to make mutants out of the indigenous life of the planet that go on to kill off all the other animals just because he can. Then the Covenant arrives and you know the rest. David is basically a psychopath with father issues who has developed a god complex.

There were good parts about it. I liked the locations were they shot it. They were beautiful and exotic looking. The cinematography was great. There was none of that shaky camera shit were you couldn't tell who was getting attacked by the alien and stuff. I liked most of the dialog although half of it seemed like it consisted of the word, "fuck". It was relatable common sense type of talk. The actress that played Daniels did a good job. I liked Walter. He was brave and noble. The reasons these movies are bad is that they spit on the already established lore of the classic Alien movies. My biggest problem with Covenant was the reveal that David created the Xenomorph. In the original film the crew discovers the Engineers ship on the planet and when they find the pilot Dallas comments that, "Been dead a long time.. fossilized." Generally most scientists consider something to be a fossil after 10,000 years. I don't know how much time passes between the prequels and the origin but it's a safe bet it's not that long. When I saw Alien the first time I assumed the Space Jockey's, as they were called back then, landed on that planet and discovered the Xenomorph species. Or they found it on some other planet and took it with them. They tried to study it but they got out of hand just like it does for humans in the movies and the Engineer of that ship programmed a repeating signal to warn other intelligent species to stay away, or just other Engineers. But now they have retroconed that and left a HUGE plot hole. Scott has said that the next movie with link up the prequels with the original Alien but unless he pulls some magic out of his ass I don't see how that is going to happen. They also tried to recapture the feel of the original movie but failed horribly. It wasn't scary, you knew whenever someone was going to die. Towards the end they knew where the aliens were at all times and even had them on the ship's damn surveillance cameras! They also reused some of the original music from Alien which I thought was cheap. I'm rambling so I'll stop here.
    When will you people stop being dumb and realize that
    David actually did love Shaw to the very end and considered it a great honor to have essentially made her the queen of his unholy brood. Also ridley is a fucking retard and has always been mad that cameron made the alien queen a thing and doesn't consider that canon and this whole retcon of david creating xenomorphs is a senile old man's clapback of autist rage. This was an incredibly awful movie through and through that requires new found levels of convenient idiocy to progress, events that are never resolved due to cuts, and who's only passable moment is solely comprised of 2 incestuous androids fingering each others holes and blowing.

BG Level

not even the most ardent critics can complain about Fassbender on Fassbender flute play