+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Buys Whole Foods     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Not gonna lie, as elderly-laden as this area is, I've thought about doing shopping for people for some extra money from time to time. Just the bigger issue I felt would be getting the word out. Either way, we're still too podunk to have things like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or Costcos. Feelsbadman.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Not gonna lie, as elderly-laden as this area is, I've thought about doing shopping for people for some extra money from time to time. Just the bigger issue I felt would be getting the word out. Either way, we're still too podunk to have things like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or Costcos. Feelsbadman.
    Check out if that uber thing is in your area.

For some reason it hasn't reached mine yet.

Which is dumb 'cause I don't live in hickville or anything.

No Uber, Lyft, or anything like that far as I can tell. Just maybe a few taxi services, if you wanna be old school.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    imo you aren't really missing out much on TJs. Been in a few times never saw anything I wanted to buy that wasn't stupidly costed. Though my aunt used to go there and find deals occasionally so it's not all bad. WH is nice for some niches and I'd miss it a little but mostly it just saves me a little money and time on a few things. However Costco is bae and I'd die without it.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    imo you aren't really missing out much on TJs.
    Cookie Butter and quality Indian TV dinners would like to have a word with you.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    not a fan of Indian food but this cookie butter sounds intriguing. I might have to stop by tomorrow then

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I work at Whole Foods. Mid level management. Broadly speaking our produce and everything is top of the line "finest of the season" stuff. So, even if you see the same organic produce at a Kroger store, ours would still be technically better quality. Our Team Members are paid VERY well also. So, if you care about people being paid a livable wage, there's that.

We have tons of personal company programs/requirements for all the things we carry. Dasva hit on the meat/seafood stuff a little bit but yes, our animal welfare programs are insane. Getting your product into a Whole Foods is extremely hard because of how much we discriminate with the products.

Overall, the people at my store are extremely excited about this. The last 2 years have been really rough for us lol

and the 365 brand stuff is great quality and pretty manageable, financially. Work culture wise, I haven't felt more appreciated or cared about before in a company. Our discount is absurd, we have tons of sweet programs that give back to us. I can't say I agree with the decisions the higher-ups have made or the advertising they've done but overall, I love the company

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So...what stocks should I be buying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Does this mean Amazon will now start selling Artisan Blocks of ice bundled in fine twine for $99.99?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Whole Foods' meat is overpriced trash lol what is this
    This. I learned my lesson real quick.

There's like a whole foods on every other block in NW DC and it's all overpriced garbage that naive idiotic college kids live by.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    This. I learned my lesson real quick.

There's like a whole foods on every other block in NW DC and it's all overpriced garbage that naive idiotic college kids live by.
    100% agree, but naive idiotic college kids are probably Amazon Fresh's demographic of interest

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Yo we got like 1 whole foods within an hour plus drive and they actually have comparable meat to the butchers because everything is from local farms and shops. Only place I can get dry aged ribeye nearby at least. It's in the middle of an area with a ton of farms and everything is local, it's just overpriced. Hope amazon fixes that and adds delivery.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post

International markets usually have the best deals on meat over here. And even then, if I were to pay for more, I'd just go to Costco.
    Mexican and Asian markets definitely have the cheapest meat but you can tell that it's like that for a reason. The best way I can quantify it is the quality of raw shrimp. You buy cheap shrimp from one of these places, peeling it will be difficult and the meat will be stringy and rubbery. If you buy at a more expensive market that's not the case.

I think Stater Bros. is generally the best price point among chain stores. Costco is actually pretty expensive for red meat although the quality is good; they are cheap for chicken though.

Whole Foods is also expensive for meat but depending on the type of meat and cut is can be competitive pricewise for higher quality cuts. Like I find it rare to see any chain markets going under 7.99 for vacuum sealed skirt, which is where Whole Foods has regular stock for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I had an Indian international student roommate who didn't know how to cook and whose palette was exclusive to Indian food. He didn't have a car, so I would drive him to TJ every week. He lived on TJ's Indian frozen TV dinners and only those for like a year.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Costco chicken is garbage and overpriced.

1.99 lb beasts at shoprite all day.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Costco chicken is garbage and overpriced.

1.99 lb beasts at shoprite all day.
    .79 thigh packs.

If it was good enough for Julia, it's good enough for you. Fite me.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Yeah if I get thighs always under a dollar but that's everywhere.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I missed this thread.

A good friend of mine is very high up at Whole Foods. I personally don't shop there as their store brands are mostly for shit and I have a Fairway up the block that sells normal branded shit. I also order online from FreshDirect as well as from a ranch upstate, as mentioned in all the food threads.

The whole grocery market tanked for one major reason: They were all in the market as well. I know Kroger and at least one other major brand were looking to buy WF. Whole Foods was foundering and had lost their first mover edge in a lot of the high end urban market, their bread and butter. I think we'll see increased integration with AmazonFresh (Which is an overpriced, bad quality service) and eventual use of WF as Amazon storefronts for various things. That will likely take awhile. The other majors will recover, probably in the next few months. I can't give investment advice but I may have moved some money in that direction a few days ago.

My buddy is actually going to be up here this weekend for Fancy Food Festival or whatever so I'll get the deets from him then.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

You don't have to give advice, no one is going after your 7. But you can continue spouting where your money is that works

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I need to diversify my wife's 403b more, it's primarily in s&p 500 shit. Been up for a while at least.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I missed this thread.

A good friend of mine is very high up at Whole Foods. I personally don't shop there as their store brands are mostly for shit and I have a Fairway up the block that sells normal branded shit. I also order online from FreshDirect as well as from a ranch upstate, as mentioned in all the food threads.

The whole grocery market tanked for one major reason: They were all in the market as well. I know Kroger and at least one other major brand were looking to buy WF. Whole Foods was foundering and had lost their first mover edge in a lot of the high end urban market, their bread and butter. I think we'll see increased integration with AmazonFresh (Which is an overpriced, bad quality service) and eventual use of WF as Amazon storefronts for various things. That will likely take awhile. The other majors will recover, probably in the next few months. I can't give investment advice but I may have moved some money in that direction a few days ago.

My buddy is actually going to be up here this weekend for Fancy Food Festival or whatever so I'll get the deets from him then.
    Yeaaaa....Depends on what pony you bet on. I know enough that this acquisition is going to be a hard gut punch to one of the players in this market who was already on the ropes more than people know. Next 6 months are going to be ugly.