Closed Thread
Page 87 of 117 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 ... LastLast
    YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I mean, "People really just want certain functions" is an inartfully worded way of saying, "Hey, we are not putting in Magneto or Storm, so we tried to put in substitutes with similar playstyles." That is an acceptable sentiment with poor wording.

But "We aren't putting in X-Men because people don't know who they are" is a terrible idea from conception. It's fundamentally a bad excuse. If you want to tell me that X-Men are not in your marketing strategy, fine; people understand IP jockeying even when they disagree with it. But don't try to give me some okeydoke about how newer Marvel fans probably don't know who Wolverine is. That's just insulting my intelligence.
    The problem is that they think the average Marvel consumer is a complete idiot and unaware of the existence of X-Men IPs. This or they are fishing for any dumbass excuse they can (the correct answer). The reality is that top top movie Marvel execs don't want any light shed on X-men or Fantastic Four IPs because of FOX Studios. Instead, they'd rather shower us with MCU shit instead... I'm willing to believe this was exactly the stipulation that Marvel brought to the table to even allow for this game to be greenlit in the first place. I've mentioned this before, but visibility of a game upon it's initial release counts for everything these days. Unfortunately for Marvel it was an exceptionally stupid move on their behalf and absolutely terrible marketing that shows a lack of understanding of the fighting game community.

I don't doubt that X-men, Doom and FF won't be added in the future, only that they've made an incredibility stupid move making them DLC, and now that Arc-Sys is coming with the big guns it just compounds the problem. At this point it's a runaway train of internet bashing of the game and I think no addition at this point will save it's reputation, much like SFxT.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

I could live with no Magneto, Wolvy, Storm, etc, even though I played strictly Mag/Storm/Psy in Marvel 2. Eventually, they would probably get something worked out for a DLC release. If not, maybe they would have other decent options, but...

The major problem with this game is that it aesthetically looks like complete shit. Going back to Marvel 1, Marvel was always the game that you would see at your local mall arcade that had 20 people stopping to view just because of how awesome and fast it appeared. If you released this shit in an arcade, people would legit laugh and ask why a game from Playstation 2 was just coming out.

The select screen literally looks like a 30 minute skeleton mock-up made by a 1st-year student with Google image resources. There is not a chance in hell this game is successful with the casual market, based on appearance alone. The gameplay can be outstanding, and it will not matter.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Capcom is either lazy or uninspired. It's hard to tell because on one hand, they've cut corners with so many of their games but on the other hand they seem to be trying their hardest to make fighting games become an E-Sport.

I wouldn't even call Infinite a half assed attempt because theres some good ideas sprinkled in there, but on the surface it looks like a bunch of poorly executed ideas layered with a total lack of self awareness.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    The problem is that they think the average Marvel consumer is a complete idiot and unaware of the existence of X-Men IPs. This or they are fishing for any dumbass excuse they can (the correct answer).
    The dumbass excuse part is the insult. Don't treat us like idiots. If Marvel doesn't want to allow X-Men because of "synergy between Marvel properties" then fine; it still sucks, but at least you're being honest.

And just to agree with what Moridam said: I certainly don't begrudge Combofiend, or even Capcom, with the roster stuff. It's not their fault. The fact that this game even exists involved some serious heavy lifting, and without it we'd be looking at the end of tournament Marvel. I will happily accept Capcom 3 vs. MCU as long as it plays well, and it looks like it will.

On a side note: people are complaining about the model quality, but honestly to me, the narcolepsy-inducing UI is a much bigger issue. And I can't even comfort myself with the "it's just beta" excuse because SF5 has had the same ZZZQuil UI since alpha.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    Capcom is either lazy or uninspired. It's hard to tell because on one hand, they've cut corners with so many of their games but on the other hand they seem to be trying their hardest to make fighting games become an E-Sport.

I wouldn't even call Infinite a half assed attempt because theres some good ideas sprinkled in there, but on the surface it looks like a bunch of poorly executed ideas layered with a total lack of self awareness.
    Great ideas, incredibly poor execution. In fact I think if this game was released under proper circumstances it would top the shit out of MvC3 and would have reached MvC2/CVS2 levels of popularity. The idea behind 2v2 with this Infinity Stone system is incredible because it takes away the emphasis from needing assists and places it on the players creativity, with the stones themselves being the catalyst. They also have Combofiend... lets be honest, this cat legit has his hand on the pulse of the FGC since his Final Round moment, and even years and years before that. It's obvious he's not allowed to create the game we know he wants for us, and it's pretty sad all around.

The main problems however are as such:

1) Capcom took a bad deal with Marvel to have this game released in the first place. MCU is doing incredible right now in everything but comics and [fighting] games.
    2) The "story-line" was not needed, and they wasted a ton of time an assets towards it instead of just adding a very vanilla arcade mode.
    3) The art, UI and visuals are horrible.
    4) Game was pushed out entirely too early, and MUST be on the smallest budget imaginable. Created problem #3. In fact at this point I'm willing to believe it's entirely on Capcom's dime.
    5) The constant interviews where both producers outright insult the intelligence of average/above average players.
    6) Shills all over the fucking place.

I'm with you 100% on all points SD. Just terrible.

BG Level

On a side note, I just saw the kid who won Smash 4. Holy shit, I would have bet my entire savings that he was a homeless person, crack addition and all. My dude needs to use some of those winnings on a makeover.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

6) Shills all over the fucking place.
    I really think this word is being misused.

First off, no one that works for Capcom or Marvel is a "shill"; they are paid employees that are transparently doing their job of promotion. They are not trying to pose as excited customers or whatever. I don't think this is really disputed.
    Second, I don't think extremely biased Marvel lifers (like Yipes, FChamp, and, ahem, me) are "shills." Call us "stans" or "marks" if you want, but our enthusiasm is genuine and not rooted in financial gain.

And to that last point: I don't think it comes across how huge MVCI's change is. This new tag mechanic is definitely the biggest Marvel gameplay innovation since MVC2 (WAY more significant than anything in MVC3) and could potentially even be bigger than MVC2. So to a certain extent, when I see people going crazy over DBZ (which is clearly far superior in every aspect but gameplay), it's like, OK, but they are still a step behind.

It's like it's 2012 and ArcSys has figured out a way to make the best Prius of all time, and meanwhile Capcom is getting ready to release the Model S. MVCI has the potential to reinvent the wheel again. Whether it realizes that potential is another story.

As a biased Marvel mark, I also keep in mind that at release MVC2 had recycled 5-year-old graphics, a terrible UI, and the worst music in fighting game history. And it is still the greatest best fighting game ever made.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I really think this word is being misused.

First off, no one that works for Capcom or Marvel is a "shill"; they are paid employees that are transparently doing their job of promotion. They are not trying to pose as excited customers or whatever. I don't think this is really disputed.
    Second, I don't think extremely biased Marvel lifers (like Yipes, FChamp, and, ahem, me) are "shills." Call us "stans" or "marks" if you want, but our enthusiasm is genuine and not rooted in financial gain.

And to that last point: I don't think it comes across how huge MVCI's change is. This new tag mechanic is definitely the biggest Marvel gameplay innovation since MVC2 (WAY more significant than anything in MVC3) and could potentially even be bigger than MVC2. So to a certain extent, when I see people going crazy over DBZ (which is clearly far superior in every aspect but gameplay), it's like, OK, but they are still a step behind.

It's like it's 2012 and ArcSys has figured out a way to make the best Prius of all time, and meanwhile Capcom is getting ready to release the Model S. MVCI has the potential to reinvent the wheel again. Whether it realizes that potential is another story.

As a biased Marvel mark, I also keep in mind that at release MVC2 had recycled 5-year-old graphics, a terrible UI, and the worst music in fighting game history. And it is still the greatest best fighting game ever made.
    It's an appropriate use for it they way I'm using it -- I'm talking about all of the people in the community "supporting" the game because reasons. Your reasoning behind lifers who are supporting this game makes it all the more sad to see it happen -- when it comes to you, I don't think you're a shill at all. However, I know you of all people realize how half-assed the game is on many points and can't truly support Capcom's (Marvel's) actions 100% outside of the gameplay itself. When it comes to everyone else, they are literally selling out on a game they can't fully get behind for whatever reason, genuine or not. It's a real stretch to look at these videos and believe they fully support the game.

When it comes to the MVC:I changes, I agree with you to the letter -- in fact it's part of the very same post you've responded to. We are on the same page in believing that MvC:I's gameplay can rival or exceed MvC2. However, it doesn't account at all for all of the shortcomings we've seen so far. Especially not now with so many hot titles coming out (even if they are animeu games).

The reuse of MvC/XMvSF/MvSF assets in MvC2 is completely OK bro, and you know it -- that period was a different time where similar fighting game engines were used anyways and making the 2.5D/3D jump was unheard of. The UI was so so, but the music was so bad it actually became cult classics so I guess it's OK?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

However, I know you of all people realize how half-assed the game is on many points and can't truly support Capcom's (Marvel's) actions 100% outside of the gameplay itself. When it comes to everyone else, they are literally selling out on a game they can't fully get behind for whatever reason, genuine or not. It's a real stretch to look at these videos and believe they fully support the game.
    I don't believe any of the players in question are being paid to provide the opinions in question, therefore I think it's inaccurate to call them "shills."
    Like I said, if you want to say they are "marks" for being suckered by irrational hope, fine. But I have no question - no question at all - that Yipes and FChamp are being genuine. I mean, Yipes was literally crying on stream when UMVC3 won the Player's Choice for Evo this year. The man clearly has a personal and emotional investment in Marvel's success, which I empathize with.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Arms added to Evo Japan 2018, Smash Melee removed.

Can it finally die now? Please?

BG Level

Probably not, considering the more "skilled" of the Smash player base all play Melee. If the 4 gods went to Smash4, then it would die.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnus View Post
    Oh, for sure. I actually feel really bad for Combo right now when I comes to MvC: I's roster. The whole "functions" comment was him doing everything he could to avoid causing an even bigger shit show by saying the Disney is using their game as a marketing device.
    Maybe tell the truth next time instead of dancing around the issue. We all know the truth of how Marvel works: tell us that X-men aren't coming because of contractual constraints. Because Marvel only wants characters in that promote their new (profitable) movie ventures. Done. Nothing about that insults the consumer's intelligence. A bitter pill of reality still tastes better than the shit-flavored milkshake of bullshit lies.

That's the problem with PR. Its never about the actual issue. Its always the smarmy, forced way that PR is delivered to the consumer. The forced, stiff, awkward lies that people tell in an attempt to obscure the truth and save the company face. It doesn't matter what the industry is: PR-speak is always this nervous, greasy, shady line of sludge that gets pushed onto the consumer while the speaker tried their hardest to sell a lie while looking us in the eye.

Combofiend is literally Sean Spicer's press interviews when Combo has to sit there and bullshit all of us to our faces, and he knows it. He looks like a goddamn fool up there, because he's not a trained liar, and the company is asking him to literally go out to an interview and lie to everyone's faces, and he's goddamn terrible at it.

Oh, the power of a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Combofiend is literally Sean Spicer's press interviews
    omg you nailed it

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

And it sickens me because he's a good man, forced to lie for a company just so he can do what he loves to do and help make games. When companies are in the business of treating their paying customers like children, I start hoping that those companies suffer financially.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Not their fault when the customer base actually acts like children.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Glad Tokido won. Btw, was Seth Killian around? I checked a couple of matches thinking he was one of the commentators for top 8 or something, but no sign of him.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Yeah he was. Can't remember when, but he was there.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Seth was one of the commentators for the ESPN broadcast.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That jenga match(right word for this?) on the hyperx stream just now was really fucking good. The rest of this shit has been boring as fuck though. Choco is the jenga goddess.

It's part of that sfv vs ssbm thing

Closed Thread
Page 87 of 117 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 ... LastLast