+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anime suggestion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Anime suggestion

Hey guys, I am looking for another anime to watch, and I wanted some recommendations.

Recently I've been sorta on a love kick. Not that the anime has to be a romance one, though it can be. but that I like ones where the people actually make some progress. Ie. Sword Art, Yuri on Ice, Toradora, etc.

I just spent the last few weeks watching Chihayafuru so maybe you can understand my pain.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you like waiting as it comes out mahoutsukai no yome as it is currently airing is shaping up to be a fine fantasy anime with some kind of love thing going on.

Also what exactly do you mean by make some progress cause that whole sao one throws me for a loop with everything else lol

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    If you like waiting as it comes out mahoutsukai no yome as it is currently airing is shaping up to be a fine fantasy anime with some kind of love thing going on.
    Yeah, we've been watching that, but since it's currently airing, we can't binge watch it.

Also what exactly do you mean by make some progress
    Fuck Arata.

Spoiler: show
    I mean like spending a whole series knowing someone likes someone and they never fucking kiss or admit their feelings or shit.

Also fuck Arata.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post

Fuck Arata.

I mean like spending a whole series knowing someone likes someone and they never fucking kiss or admit their feelings or shit.

Also fuck Arata.
    Oh so like the classic will they wont they that ends with wont? Never heard of that anime but that might be because it has a insanely horrible rating lol.

Also dammit you got me before the edit so I'll add it in here. Can't say I watched thru them all and make notes on the progress but pretty much anything by Key VN studio will have stories that also involve romance. A lot of their VNs have been made into anime and they've actually helped out on some of them lol. Most of them you've probably heard of and/or seen but I feel Charlotte is an often overlooked one that turned out a lot better than I thought it would

If you want to go oldschool Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is one of my favorites

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

because it has a insanely horrible rating lol.
    You must have looked at the wrong thing. It's pretty highly rated from what I've seen. Its rating is what caused us to watch it in the first place. The story and characters are really good but

semi-spoilery

There is a major love triangle in it, and since the manga isn't finished there is no resolution in the love plot yet.

Also the people never pick the dude/girl I want them to pick when it comes to anime love triangles...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You must have looked at the wrong thing. It's pretty highly rated from what I've seen. Its rating is what caused us to watch it in the first place. The story and characters are really good but

semi-spoilery

There is a major love triangle in it, and since the manga isn't finished there is no resolution in the love plot yet.

Also the people never pick the dude/girl I want them to pick when it comes to anime love triangles...
    Oh that's because when you said Arata I thought you were referring to the name of the anime not referencing a character in one of the ones you listed

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Oh that's because when you said Arata I thought you were referring to the name of the anime not referencing a character in one of the ones you listed
    I just spent the last few weeks watching Chihayafuru so maybe you can understand my pain.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

You ninja edited!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I'm just going to recommend Made in Abyss, not exactly romance since the main characters are children, but I guess it can kind of be seen that way. Just recommending it because it was probably the best anime I've seen this year, maybe the past few years even.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

100% fuck Arata. If you liked Chihayafuru though, read the manga. I think chapter 92 or so is where the anime left off and it's currently at around chapter 140'ish? Lots of plot progression and it seems like the story is closing in on it's climax.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) is fantastic, I loved it. It's a "make you cry" sort of love anime so just a warning there.

Kimi no Na wa (Your Name) is an anime movie, also fantastic with a love theme. And Summer Wars, another anime movie with love involved, fantastic. Highly highly recommend both.

Bakuman is good too. The love focus is kind of secondary to the kids wanting to become manga artists but the show comes to a conclusion and a pretty decent one too. The anime is a very good adaption of the manga, a good series.

If you're looking more for a good story:
    -Shouwa Rakugo is good
    -Sakamichi no Appollon
    -Uchuu Kyoudai
    -Ano Hana (this one is another tear-jerker)
    -Usagi Drop (more familial sort of love... but only pre-time skip which I think is where the anime ends. If it goes post time-skip, STOP WATCHING. Only good pre-skip).
    -In the same vein as Usagi Drop, Barakamon is fantastic, a similar type of story but more character driven and not really love heavy, but lots of fun.
    -3-Gatsu no Lion (2nd season is airing now) is great. A bit of a darker theme emotionally, but some very nice light moments too. Really good story telling.
    -For a total change of pace with really no love involved at all, Shirobako and Sakura Quest are both really nice animes.
    -Steins;Gate if you haven't seen it already
    -Nodame Cantabile is awesome, music+romance based anime
    -Hibike Euphonium another awesome music based anime, 2nd season finished airing a few months ago
    -Working! is good too. Nice comedy anime but with romance/relationships involved that actually come to a conclusion after 3 seasons. Worth a watch
    -Tamako Market itself is an enjoyable, okay anime. But the movie, Tamako Love Story is really nice. I honestly don't remember the series itself much but the movie I really really liked.
    -Ore Monogatari is fun. There is absolutely no 'Will they? Won't they?', but there is a lot of learning about what being in a relationship is about. MC is a boss though, makes it fun.
    -Mikakunin de Shinkoukei is fun. Love is involved but it's more of an... I can't really describe it without spoiling it. But yeah, maybe try an episode or two and see if you like it.

I could go on and on and on so I'll stop there for now

Edit: The shows I suggested are listed purely in a 'when they popped into my head' order, so there's no rhyme or reason to their placement. And I also prioritized shows that have closure too for the most part, because fuck open ended "will they? won't they? Why the fuck is there a cliff-hanger non-conclusion ending?" endings.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    100% fuck Arata. If you liked Chihayafuru though, read the manga. I think chapter 92 or so is where the anime left off and it's currently at around chapter 140'ish? Lots of plot progression and it seems like the story is closing in on it's climax.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) is fantastic, I loved it. It's a "make you cry" sort of love anime so just a warning there.

Kimi no Na wa (Your Name) is an anime movie, also fantastic with a love theme. And Summer Wars, another anime movie with love involved, fantastic. Highly highly recommend both.

Bakuman is good too. The love focus is kind of secondary to the kids wanting to become manga artists but the show comes to a conclusion and a pretty decent one too. The anime is a very good adaption of the manga, a good series.

If you're looking more for a good story:
    -Shouwa Rakugo is good
    -Sakamichi no Appollon
    -Uchuu Kyoudai
    -Ano Hana (this one is another tear-jerker)
    -Usagi Drop (more familial sort of love... but only pre-time skip which I think is where the anime ends. If it goes post time-skip, STOP WATCHING. Only good pre-skip).
    -In the same vein as Usagi Drop, Barakamon is fantastic, a similar type of story but more character driven and not really love heavy, but lots of fun.
    -3-Gatsu no Lion (2nd season is airing now) is great. A bit of a darker theme emotionally, but some very nice light moments too. Really good story telling.
    -For a total change of pace with really no love involved at all, Shirobako and Sakura Quest are both really nice animes.
    -Steins;Gate if you haven't seen it already
    -Nodame Cantabile is awesome, music+romance based anime
    -Hibike Euphonium another awesome music based anime, 2nd season finished airing a few months ago
    -Working! is good too. Nice comedy anime but with romance/relationships involved that actually come to a conclusion after 3 seasons. Worth a watch
    -Tamako Market itself is an enjoyable, okay anime. But the movie, Tamako Love Story is really nice. I honestly don't remember the series itself much but the movie I really really liked.
    -Ore Monogatari is fun. There is absolutely no 'Will they? Won't they?', but there is a lot of learning about what being in a relationship is about. MC is a boss though, makes it fun.
    -Mikakunin de Shinkoukei is fun. Love is involved but it's more of an... I can't really describe it without spoiling it. But yeah, maybe try an episode or two and see if you like it.

I could go on and on and on so I'll stop there for now

Edit: The shows I suggested are listed purely in a 'when they popped into my head' order, so there's no rhyme or reason to their placement. And I also prioritized shows that have closure too for the most part, because fuck open ended "will they? won't they? Why the fuck is there a cliff-hanger non-conclusion ending?" endings.
    ^ The dude recommended some good ones, if you only have time for a couple I'd pick Your Lie In April and Ano Hana for sure. Also adding to the sappy love story list is a personal favorite of mine, Angel Beats.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I kept my list relatively modern I guess lol. Shows like Angel Beats, Clannad, etc, some of the older ones are great too. They are the epitome of 'big anime eyes' though lol, given that was the trend when they were coming out.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I, too, have been on a romance kick the past year.
    So all of my recommendations will have heavy romance themes.
    Oh, and I also hate when relationships go nowhere so I won't recommend any of that BS.

~Ookami shoujo to kuro ouji (Wolf Girl & Black Prince): Girl decides to snap a pic of a random hot guy on the street and claim he's her boyfriend so she can get friends in her first year of high school. Turns out hot guy goes to her school and when he finds out about her ruse, hijinks ensue. Heavy teasing but also lots of actual drama and sweetness.

~Kamisama Hajimemashita (Kamisama Kiss): Spunky homeless girl (think Tohru in Fruits Basket) is given a shrine to live in/take care of (and even turned into a goddess!) by a mysterious passerby. Unfortunately for her, a fox spirit with a seriously bad attitude is one of the attendants of the shrine and doesn't like the fact that it's passed to her. Their relationship starts off pretty rocky but slowly develops as they deal with threats to the shrine, mainly in the form of other supernatural beings, but also the loss of human worshipers. A seriously feel-good show with quite a bit of action and historical fantasy. I love this one. Be warned there is a VERY IMPORTANT story arc that for some reason they decided to turn into an insert OAV instead of putting around the middle of Season 2 where it belongs.

~Kaichou wa Maid-sama!: I haven't actually seen the anime so it might be full of pointless filler, but I have been reading the manga and it's very fun. Ayuzawa Misaki is the student council president of a school that has recently been made co-ed; there are a lot more guys than girls, and all the guys hate her and call her demon because she's been cleaning up the school and forcing the boys to reform. That's why she can't let anyone find out that she works at a maid cafe after school to help pay the bills. Unfortunately for her, someone does find out, and he becomes very interested in her. Hijinks ensue. It's a romcom with some heavy drama later in the story. A bit cliche nowadays, but still enjoyable.

~Orange: I prefer the manga to the anime, but the anime is a faithful adaptation of the story (my beef with it is the character models, which I think are a bit weird, but not a gamebreaker). High school girl gets a letter from her future self that drops cryptic hints about things that will happen to a student who transfers to her school. At first she doesn't believe it, but as the things in the letter actually start happening, she starts trying to change the boy's fate. Along the way relationships between her and her group of friends develop.

~Clannad & Clannad After Story: I assume you have already seen this. If you have not, watch it next. Just. Do. It. All of it.

~Tonari no kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster): I saw this a while ago so my recollection is a bit fuzzy but I remember really enjoying it as a romance anime, that's why I can solidly recommend it.

~Hotarubi no Mori e (Into the Forest of the Fireflies' Light): Written by the same author as Natsume's Book of Friends, this is a beaauutiful short film about a girl who visits a house in the countryside every summer and plays with a mysterious masked man she meets there. Their worlds intertwine more each year. Highly recommend.

~Nodame Cantabile: I prefer the live action drama version to the anime, actually. If you can find that I suggest it, but the anime is nice too. Eccentric girl goes to conservatory for piano, meets guy who is going for conducting. Their paths collide and somehow he can't get away from her, despite trying... A very classic series and highly recommended.

~Kotonoha no Niwa (The Garden of Words): Pretty standard Makoto Shinkai fare; you'd do well with any of his movies although you've probably seen them already. Just yeah, watch his whole catalog. I liked this one specifically for the connection to Japanese poetry, which I love.

~Katanagatari: It's uh...kind of a romance? It might not scratch that itch for you exactly - I guess it depends on who you are. Either way, this is one of my favorite anime series ever, so I'd be remiss not to recommend it. The art and animation are beautiful, the characters are fun, the drama is heavy, and the ending is amazing.

~School Days

One I have heard good things about but never saw is White Album.
    I can't remember if Kimi ni Todoke ever finished (don't think the anime did) but that one's nice while it lasts.
    There is really a dearth of good romance anime that fully develops relationships. It's quite hard to find something satisfying in that genre. I think I've mined up a lot of the good ones over the past year though.

Okay, here is a recommendation just because this movie needs more attention. It's even a Chinese movie!
    ~Big Fish and Begonia: It's like Ghibli but maddening! It will probably make you rage like it did to me, but it's worth a watch.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    I'm just going to recommend Made in Abyss, not exactly romance since the main characters are children, but I guess it can kind of be seen that way. Just recommending it because it was probably the best anime I've seen this year, maybe the past few years even.
    Don't do it its a trap.

Okay honestly its good. The 12 half hour and 13th hour long episodes are stupid good. However the series gets EXTREMELY dark towards the second half.

I'm excited for the next season whenever it happens.

But seriously once shit gets going it just goes downhill and its amazing.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    Don't do it its a trap.

Okay honestly its good. The 12 half hour and 13th hour long episodes are stupid good. However the series gets EXTREMELY dark towards the second half.

I'm excited for the next season whenever it happens.

But seriously once shit gets going it just goes downhill and its amazing.
    Maybe a little dark! Just don't let your kids watch it, regardless of the art style looking like it is kid friendly. >.>

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Very very old manga/anime (like 2001ish) series called "Love Hina" is what I would suggest if you haven't read it (haven't watched the show itself yet).

A friend of mine gave me a copy of the manga he found and I have been reading it online in my free time and have been loving it.

Its a Romantic comedy about a guy who is trying to get into Tokyo University to fulfill a promise he made to a girl when they were little and he ends up working as a manager to a all girl dorm hotel in the meantime.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The side effects of ascending the 4th layer are visually fucking terrifying thank you very much.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

stuff
    yeah but it was a separate post you and there was other stuff on that first post. So wasn't sure what the heck going on

So... sounds a bit weird but Elfen Lied was a lot about friendship and love just really fucking tragic and violent.

No one mentioned Golden Time? Easily one of my favourites. ToraDora wasn't mentioned nor was 5cm Per Second. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is funny as well.

I'll 2nd a few shows.

Your Lie in April, AnoHana, Your Name, Ore Monogatari, Kids on the Slope, Shouwa Rakugo (it's not romance really, but it's damn good), Nodame Cantibile, Working!

Sousei no Omnyouji may tickle that itch of will they/won't they with a side of action and such one would expect of shounen shows. Only downside is that since it based off an on-going manga, it eventually had to go the original ending route with the 3rd season and I think suffered a bit for it.