+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

not really something i can do, since i already don't get much sugar by necessity...because i'm too poor to eat anything more than rice and beans, quesadillas and eggs and shit. ;; so i'm kinda low sugar already, though carbs are basically life for me. veggies and fruits are simply too costly atm, though they're usually one of the first things i splurge money on when i get the chance. (my dad laughed at me once because i was ecstatic about eating a chicken salad.) i have recently started taking a multivitamin though, and that seems to have reduced the headaches from every day the last few months to every few, and less dosage needed to kill it. its got both magnesium and b vitamins in it so that might be what's helping, though granted id rather get that through food than vitamins...once i ever get a job that pays enough for real food.

and i do often get a stiff neck when my migraines come on, though it seems to be more of an effect than a cause. i also wind up with a sore jaw from clenching it from the pain, so the overall sensation is like a snake that ate its way through the side of my neck and is noming on my temple. usually its the left side, and that's usually killable with one dose, but when the right side starts thobbing i know im in for a bad time.

and gods forbid both sides start at once. those only happen a few times a year but when it does no amount of exedrin stops it and i basically curl into a ball and play dead in hopes it goes away. generally it doesn't even after a nights sleep and i spend another day of misery.

i've yet to figure out any real trigger for it though, other than a combination of too much smells/noises/light/exercise/vengeful spirits. although if there's a storm coming it often gets triggered as well, so maybe a change in pressure is another.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    kuronosan, is the NSAID in ibuprofen the same thing, or would it cause the same effects, as the NSAID in exedrin? cause i take exedrin a lot, often 3-7 days a week for migraines, and have since i was young. assuming of course the study isn't just a false alarm.
    No. Excedrin has caffeine, Aspirin, and Tylenol in it. Different mechanism, similar stuff.

Do you see a neurologist?

i struggle to afford food and pay rent. i haven't even seen a doctor or dentist in well over a decade and a half, other than an eye doctor for contact lens perscription. ._. at this point i'm worried the first doctor i finally see will run away screaming in horror.

BG Level

We don't do that. Check to see if there are any safety net clinics in your area.

huh. there might be. at least, marquette has one free clinic listed on the government map, though it didn't say what type of free clinic or the name or anything useful <_< do free clinics need a drivers license? cause uh....i got fired last month for too many sick days right before i was going to change my licence plates and DL to michigan from cali, and that extra paycheck for the month wound up having to go toward rent instead ._.; i still have a valid DL but its california, so i'm not sure they would accept it. assuming they need a DL that is.

i guess you can tell im a bit miffed about that still. that extra paycheck was SUPPOSED to go toward updating that stuff, contact lenses, and basic kitchen tools, but having a shelter in -15F degree temps takes precidence. though my parents were extremely generous and donated funds to buy contact lenses for christmas so at least i'm set for a year there.

I feel like if i can get a full time job that pays more than minimum wage here ill wind up retiring a millionare at age 40, since i'm so used to not having any spare money my whole life that my cost of living is like 1200 a month if i feel like going on a shopping spree, and 700 if im being conservative, lol.

BG Level

Most free clinics only need good contact information so they can reach you.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    not really something i can do, since i already don't get much sugar by necessity...because i'm too poor to eat anything more than rice and beans, quesadillas and eggs and shit. ;; so i'm kinda low sugar already, though carbs are basically life for me. veggies and fruits are simply too costly atm, though they're usually one of the first things i splurge money on when i get the chance. (my dad laughed at me once because i was ecstatic about eating a chicken salad.) i have recently started taking a multivitamin though, and that seems to have reduced the headaches from every day the last few months to every few, and less dosage needed to kill it. its got both magnesium and b vitamins in it so that might be what's helping, though granted id rather get that through food than vitamins...once i ever get a job that pays enough for real food.

and i do often get a stiff neck when my migraines come on, though it seems to be more of an effect than a cause. i also wind up with a sore jaw from clenching it from the pain, so the overall sensation is like a snake that ate its way through the side of my neck and is noming on my temple. usually its the left side, and that's usually killable with one dose, but when the right side starts thobbing i know im in for a bad time.

and gods forbid both sides start at once. those only happen a few times a year but when it does no amount of exedrin stops it and i basically curl into a ball and play dead in hopes it goes away. generally it doesn't even after a nights sleep and i spend another day of misery.

i've yet to figure out any real trigger for it though, other than a combination of too much smells/noises/light/exercise/vengeful spirits. although if there's a storm coming it often gets triggered as well, so maybe a change in pressure is another.
    fruits are largely sugar anyways and should be more used as a healthier dessert than part of a meal or something. Fucking hate those memes that say can't eat healthy because a huge amount of fruit is expensive. Bitch shouldn't be eating that much anyways. That's some carb overload there lol. Most fats are pretty cheap in terms calories to monies and chicken, turkey and tuna are some dirt cheap proteins. As is bulk powder. Those eggs too but bleh I hate eggs. Milk and cheeses pretty good value too. Can stick with some cheap veggies like broc/spinach usually pretty cheap for their bulk and pretty nutrient dense and some of the few bulk produce items I trust at Costco lol. I'm sure some of the posters on here can direct you to keto on a budget guides. If you don't care about taste I think those soilent green meal things are reasonably priced and offer full daily values of nutrition

Ah yeah I used to get that problem or the frowny face soreness lol. Learning to just relax your face as much as possible helps a ton... some people even get botox to do that but fuck that. Instead I get everyone and their mom to tell me to smile more lol. Also helps to keep eyes partly close god bless long eye lashes for once to help filter out more light

Ah yeah those are the worst. Just take stuff to hope it doesn't get worse. Used to get ones that would be 24/7 for weeks. But not really since I weened myself off of constant use.

Logs help it's generally a lot of things so might take awhile and a lot of that is figuring out the vague feelings ahead of time before it starts or that you feel like it could start if pushed. Other common causes tend to be low sleep, excess salt, dehydration, excess movement/vibratation, hunger, stress etc. Regular exercise should help unless you do it when you are vulnerable stage.

Also yeah neurologist could be good like Kuro said. Might be nothing really they can figure out could be something really major. At least they might find you something. I think Asytlla is on some kind of preventative that works well for her though none I've tried have really done much. Could try to get on something like that and I think someone posted awhile back some ap for finding generic meds really cheap. And idk about free clinics but I use my old expired Washington photo ID for just about everything. Really if it looks like you and is government issued should be fine

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Well, that's also not a good idea. It causes pretty bad rebound headaches.
    My neurologist told me that the regular headaches I get even though they are mild are probably migraines and not normal headaches. He was going to put me on a migraine medication but the complications and side effects from those are really not pleasant. Instead he prescribed me a medication to take at the onset of a severe migraine and told me to take advil every day if I have to to keep the mild migraines at bay.

My normal routine is one cup of black tea in the morning then advil later in the day if a migraine develops.

For the record I have only had one major migraine but it was enough to send me to the ER because they thought I was having a stroke. Strangely it didn't involve any head pain.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post

Dimmy, youre the best. I am so glad that someone took that lay up lol. Hope youre well!

BG Level

That's not really the same thing as taking multiple max doses every day for weeks.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    That's not really the same thing as taking multiple max doses every day for weeks.
    Ah ok thanks for making that distinction. I wasn't sure what level of use you were talking about.

well, a single dose of exedrin has 500 mg of acetaminophen, 500 mg of aspirin, and 130 mg of caffeine, so if taking up to 4 doses in a day to kill a particular nasty migraine, thats 2 grams, 2 grams, and 520 mg of the three. all i know is if i take that much, the max daily dose, i feel horribly wrung out and weak/shakey, though i'm not sure how much is from caffeine overload, how much from the meds, and how much from just recovering from a migraine that horrible.

and i know i should eat better, and i love veggies. it's just that spending 3 bucks for 100 calories vs 3 bucks for 1000 calories is no brainer when you got so few $ to spend. i do load up on cheese already though.... 7$ for 3520 calories is a pretty good deal. :D i suspect the poor diet is why my bowel movements are so lousy though, sometimes i go for up to 4 days without having the urge and no amount of trying winds up with results. i do notice sometimes i often get a migraine soon before i do need to go though, which makes me wonder if i'm allergic to my own crap. lol

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

four days without a bowel movement.. nae good at aa

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Some fiber pills or if you can stand it powder stuff works well. Kind of expensive at the grocery but cheap as fuck at Costco.

no costco here or sams club... makes me so mad too, because i'm a big believer in unit cost. i tried using polyethylene glycol 3350, a kind of laxative to see if it would help....not really. <.< still had irregular bowel movements, and the stuff tastes kinda revolting. i had to hold my nose to drink it down.

kinda worried a bit about it. the forum doesn't need two banes.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

my issues tend more towards going too often, so the stuff ive learned is all focused on slowing down my guts. plus everyones' guts are different so my tips might not even work the same way for you.

that being said, caffeine is a bowel irritant, so your intake is going to affect your guts one way or another. black tea is caffeinated; i have a cup every morning. tea is probably the most gentle way to take caffeine ive found, but i also limit myself to exactly one cup of tea and no other caffeine, which helps. caffeine is addictive and has withdrawal symptoms even at the level we're talking about, so you might have to put up with some pain to make changes there. typically passes after a couple days of misery.

i have to be careful with my sugar intake, as that can accelerate my bowel movements. makes my muscles move faster, poop more often. so, inverting that, i might suggest some soda. soda's a cheap way to get sugar, and i find the liquid format much more effective in loosening things up than, say, candy. course, it's also a great way to get the 'beetus and ruin your teeth, so yknow, watch yourself.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Yeah fighting between helping my headaches and helping my guts is a challenge. I am limited to one cup of black tea per day. I can't drink green tea no good for the guts.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    my issues tend more towards going too often, so the stuff ive learned is all focused on slowing down my guts. plus everyones' guts are different so my tips might not even work the same way for you.

As someone with IBS who's always irregular, this shit is the literal best pretty much no matter what your problem is. Diarrhea? Take some metamucil. Constipation? Take some muthafuckin metamucil. This shit will run through, grab all your poo and consolidate it into a nice, clean moveable mass. Bonus: it tastes kind of like Tang.

Some more interesting things about tea: it is indeed the gentlest way to take caffeine as the compounds in tea slow the absorption of caffeine into the body so you're not getting an immediate hit like with coffee. However, black tea can hurt your digestive system after a while. Personally it irritates my bladder if I drink more than a cup a day or so.

That said, if you want the caffeine and more health benefits, drink a nice HQ green tea instead. Or a NQ one I guess. (I like the Kirkland ones sold at Costco which are a rebranded Japanese sencha/matcha blend). Green tea is chock full of more health benefits than black tea and without some of the downsides of black tea.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Don't you even. It tastes vaguely like tang which isn't that great to begin with but terrible and the gritty consistency is even worse. Luckily there are pills. But yeah I pretty much take before each meal and I can eat pretty much anything fine.

Seconding Kirkland green tea. Not bad for the cost so have it every morning at work. Some ginger and honey in it can be nice too. Also vaguely related for those that can't do one or the either doing a mix and black and green can be pretty amazing. Xing tea has a really nice black and green with ginger only problem is they sweeten it enough to make it actually sweet when you might not want all that sugar/honey

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post

As someone with IBS who's always irregular, this shit is the literal best pretty much no matter what your problem is. Diarrhea? Take some metamucil. Constipation? Take some muthafuckin metamucil. This shit will run through, grab all your poo and consolidate it into a nice, clean moveable mass. Bonus: it tastes kind of like Tang.

Some more interesting things about tea: it is indeed the gentlest way to take caffeine as the compounds in tea slow the absorption of caffeine into the body so you're not getting an immediate hit like with coffee. However, black tea can hurt your digestive system after a while. Personally it irritates my bladder if I drink more than a cup a day or so.

That said, if you want the caffeine and more health benefits, drink a nice HQ green tea instead. Or a NQ one I guess. (I like the Kirkland ones sold at Costco which are a rebranded Japanese sencha/matcha blend). Green tea is chock full of more health benefits than black tea and without some of the downsides of black tea.
    That is funny I have IBS as well and green tea is definitely a trigger for me and causes massive pain and many bathroom trips while black tea I can tolerate just fine. It is so complicated to figure out potential triggers.