Thread: Wine! The Juice is Loose     submit to reddit submit to twitter

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wine! The Juice is Loose

Yes, a wine thread it is.
    Stop bitching at me for posting it in the other threads over the lack of one for it.

QQ, dry Riesling is the greatest white of all time.

Long live the suave Pinot Gris. Pussy Pinot Grigio should die in a dumpster fire.

Santenay is a second rate town, and all shall bow to the glory of Beaune, Meursault, and Pommard.

Cellar Keller, we love dust on the bottle. Grand Cru is life.

Show me your Bordeaux Collie.

The Grape Depression.

Was that enough random wine shenanigans? No, there are never enough shenanigans. Wine before country, and cheese always will please.
    Sherry makes us merry, and Madeira shall grace your sclera.

----

So, I love German wine. Yes, Riesling is the greatest white, lets see you cellar some Italian Pinot or New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Better yet, lets see you store a Moscato or Rosé.
    Anyway, I was having this recently:

Prinzslam 2015, Reinhessen Riesling

Super deal, and you get a VDP from the Rheinhessen. Not Mosel, the Rheingau, or Nahe, but an estate from the fucking Rheinhessen.
    Absolutely enjoyed it, and have been contemplating having it again since it was just that enjoyable for the limited selection one finds in the states.

I tend to enjoy wines from the south of Mosel a bit more despite how analogous that region is with quality, craftsmanship, legacy, and talent. It is just a climate thing sorry, but Riesling is a fruit bomb of a wine and enjoyable as such, so get bent California. The south delivers in this case. Not to say a delicate Erdener Treppchen Kabinett isn't beautiful and hard to create, but sometimes you just want to be dominated by an assertive Ürziger Würzgarten in your mouth.

Anyway, as for this wine it was easy drinking for sure. The nose gives hints of a bright wine laced with citrus and subtle minerality. Depending on palate I would call this a bit more off-dry rather than semi-sweet, but only a bit. As said, there there was a good level of citrus and peach to compliment the typical stone fruits of a riesling. This gave way to a joyous mid-long finish at the end that serves to distinguish the wine a bit. As it was just a tad longer than expected, and is the nail in the coffin of a memorable experience. Really enjoyed it despite my low expectations given the fact it was from the Rheinhessen, but I am humbled in my presumptions in this case.

The homemade enchiladas were nice as well. Fuck them though since they aren't wine, and don't get the same lip service. Water, tomato paste, seasoning, onions, mushrooms, peppers, and rotisserie chicken, done.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Pinot Gris and Pinot Grigio is the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Jicent View Post
    Pinot Gris and Pinot Grigio is the same thing.

Are*

Also, no they are not.

Same grape, but a rather different style.

Same way milk chocolate and dark chocolate are different.

Almond Joy and Mounds.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

franzia is best.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    franzia is best.
    How about that arbor mist man

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Jicent View Post
    How about that arbor mist man

People with class drink Andre, Verdi, and Crane Lake.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Does MD20/20 count?

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Carlo Rossi is life.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

California wines are the best

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

in 2003 my mom bottled a peach wine.

it was STRONG but we finished it off a few weeks ago.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    California wines are the best
    Any region can make great wines, including California.

The average Californian wine is not. Their Cab and Pinot Noir being the worst offenders.

Biltmore Estate Reserve wines are actually pretty amazing. I dislike whites, but their white is awesome.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm not a wine person at all but on a serious note, I find Apothic to be a decent cheap wine. At usually $9 a bottle for their red or cabernet, I'll take it. However, I haven't drank any wine in months as it just sits there collecting dust.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Any region can make great wines, including California.

The average Californian wine is not. Their Cab and Pinot Noir being the worst offenders.
    I live in area that parts of it are often referred to by their AVA instead of city/town. I don't frequent average wineries

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Biltmore Estate Reserve wines are actually pretty amazing. I dislike whites, but their white is awesome.
    I never understand people who "dislike reds" or "dislike whites". There are so many different types of grapes and styles of wine from even the same grape that such isn't a plausible statement.

A Livio Felluga Pinot is different from a Santa Margherita, Chablis from a white Beaune, Mosel Riesling from a Reinhessen or Pfalz from Alsace from Washington State, etc.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's pretty simple most people don't have the experience. I've known plenty of people where about all they knew was the boxed wine, a few mass producers or whatever house wine they had in some restaurant. I've had people be literally in awe that so many different wines/wineries existed... after just seeing what was at Safeway's wine aisles (which granted around here is a bit more than most regions selections but still a lot of basic stuff)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    It's pretty simple most people don't have the experience.
    That's where I'm at. I haven't had enough to really say much on the topic, but beyond a couple glasses of random shit at a party here and there in the States, or the two different red and white I had in Norway (was a common drink during dinner so I gave it a try a few times), I never developed a liking. The taste was just so..I don't even have a good word for it, maybe musty? Maybe I've always had the shit tier stuff too and just not known.

I'm not a big drinker to begin with. I've always played it as if I want to get smashed, there's drinks that do that well that I enjoy, and if I just want to get a bit tipsy, I just drink the previously mentioned drinks in moderation.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

What’s the one that comes in a box? I like that one.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hated wine for most of my life. Same goes for coffee in a similar time frame (has to be freshly ground though).
    It wasn't until the last few years that I moved away from beer to wine. I really dislike IPAs too, so beers are increasingly marginalizing my experience anyway with how they are trending. Malt beverages like "spiked" seltzers or Mike's Hard crap, Light watery shit or "low carb" stuff like Michelob, imported nonsense like Corona, high end craft beers where you have to drop $15-$25 on a bomber or $15+ on a 4 pack and these are all over the place too with flavors which can border: "autism is our idea process guys", and IPAs everywhere you look. These are all up, and traditional things, you know, actual beer, is down.

So, wine has served as a refuge for leisure, quality, and craftsmanship. Not this "yeah we started craft brewing in 2015 and make anything we feel like randomly and irregularly" and instead "we are an estate going back to the 1200s. you know what we make, and what to expect."

i still hate wine and any form of alcohol, but i think it's because alcohol itself tastes incredibly bitter to me. like... black tea that has been steeping for 2 days. never enjoyed the fiery feel of it either as it goes down. at first i had thought it was the wine i tried itself, but after several brands and varieties, from merlot to pinot noir to a supersweet wine (HA!), i started to catch on that they all had one thing in common.

i do like using it for beef stew though. i see it in the same light as soy sauce - great for flavoring but you wouldn't want to drink it by itself.

i didn't even realize ethanol had a taste before i looked it up - apparently it does for some people. i guess my combination of genetics plus being a supertaster means i'm never going to experience what it's like to get flat out drunk.

which reminds me - what type of wine is the best for making beef stew anyways?