She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. Consider this a footnote to my net problems. I think I found them but in a bad way.

Seems my new network card got _destroyed_; I had a antenna just BREAK off (the wire inside is still there). This ticks me off, obviously.

Would people here know of a GOOD wireless card that'd support the N standard and wouldn't tick me off 6 months later with a antenna breaking off and wouldn't cost me a arm and a leg?! PCI-E would work fine, I have that slot. ^^

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You'd have a hard time finding a card that doesn't work with N, it's a pretty old standard and AC is backwards compatible with it.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I use the Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 in my tower and I don't have any complaints, but my desktop is very close to my router. I picked this specifically for the BT dual function

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Alright my dudes and dudettes I just robbed someone of their GPU and now I want to pass on a good deal on my card to a BG Good Brother/Sister. If no one is interested I'll have to brave the depths of Reddit or worse case FB Marketplace. Yes I know we have a for sale section but most people that are looking for a deal look, well, in the deals thread and I want to get attention.

The video card I will be selling is a MSI Vega 56 Air Boost OC. This card has Samsung HBM memory. I tried flashing to a Vega 64 BIOS using ATI Flash, but it wouldn't take. I didn't bother trying with cmd so I don't know if this card can be flashed. It has dual BIOS so if someone wants to brave it they can. Once undervolted and the fan curve tinkered to your preference you get a cooler running quieter card than what a normal stock reference gives. I gave the memory a slight overclock but have not pushed things. Samsung memory is supposed to be able to do more than a card with Hynix.

I am not settled on a price yet. I can tell you Reddit has ranged between $200-$230 because of the Samsung memory. If you are in the market for a card and were looking at this price point roughly we can work up some numbers. Eventually I'll put a thread in For Sale. PM of course. I'll be in and out the remainder of the day so if I don't get back right away that is why.
    Oi I'm tempted; need a card to go with my eGPU to give my laptop a boost, but I keep feeling like I should just wait until I upgrade cards and use my current card for that. The thing is that it actually would work well with the blower type cooler since I need air directed out the back for this setup.

I think the lowest this goes new is $230 if you wait for the best deal. It's a crapshoot whether you get the Samsung memory but I think that the main point of the Samsung memory is to be able to flash to the 64 bios.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Oi I'm tempted; need a card to go with my eGPU to give my laptop a boost, but I keep feeling like I should just wait until I upgrade cards and use my current card for that. The thing is that it actually would work well with the blower type cooler since I need air directed out the back for this setup.

I think the lowest this goes new is $230 if you wait for the best deal. It's a crapshoot whether you get the Samsung memory but I think that the main point of the Samsung memory is to be able to flash to the 64 bios.
    I think for shipping I'm going to have to use flat rate because lately everything I ship in a "regular" box the cost whether usps/ups/fedex is stupid high. Is there anything else you are looking for? Other projects? Buddy maybe needs something? I have a bunch of stuff I need to get rid of right now.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think for shipping I'm going to have to use flat rate because lately everything I ship in a "regular" box the cost whether usps/ups/fedex is stupid high. Is there anything else you are looking for? Other projects? Buddy maybe needs something? I have a bunch of stuff I need to get rid of right now.
    So IIRC (I do a lot of shipping but usually for smaller items) priority mail gets price hikes at every lb mark. The best value in shipping USPS is actually "regional rate" which is slightly smaller than flat rates with weight limits and ranges from much to slightly less expensive than flat rate. The drawback is you have to order the boxes from USPS first and do the label online; it is not available for regular retail.

I could use a cheapo card, just for 1080p video playback, for a streaming machine.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    So IIRC (I do a lot of shipping but usually for smaller items) priority mail gets price hikes at every lb mark. The best value in shipping USPS is actually "regional rate" which is slightly smaller than flat rates with weight limits and ranges from much to slightly less expensive than flat rate. The drawback is you have to order the boxes from USPS first and do the label online; it is not available for regular retail.

I could use a cheapo card, just for 1080p video playback, for a streaming machine.
    I have a Sapphire HD 7870 GHz edition that would fit the bill. Fun fact I learned recently about getting a card just for video. Just because it says it can do a resolution doesn't mean it will do it properly. I bought a b-stock EVGA GT 730 2GB GDDR5 awhile back and that thing cannot do steaming sports or YT at even 1080p in full screen. Drop the screen resolution to 1600x900 and it's fine.

Just to dangle the carrot, I have two I5-3470 4c/4t with Dell motherboards I need to unload. I haven't tested them in gaming, but I'll be using the same motherboard with an I5-3550 (essentially the same as the 3470) for my HTPC and can say it crushed Heaven benchmark with a discrete GPU. I have some HDD I can add in for cheap too! Yes I'm trying very hard to sell things right now...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Micro Center will have the Ryzen 5 2600X for $80 Feb 7 thru Feb 9. Unreal.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

3600x for $159 as well. As an owner of a 2600 I'm torn about upgrading and which to upgrade with if I do. I could eBay the 2600 for 90~ which makes the 2600x a free upgrade for a little leg work and effort. Or $70 to go from 2600 to 3600X. My current 2600 has a 4.1GHz OC all cores; the 2600X gets 4.25GHz turbo and the 3600X gets 4.4Ghz turbo. Taking off my Noctua is going to be a PITA though.

I could also repurpose the 2600 by swapping it into my 2400G side project once I get my card from Kal, then build a budget PC to sell the 2400G off with using the bundle MOBO I could get.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Why does the Microcenter have to be out in fucking Orange County. A one way bus trip is at least 3 hours, with perfect transfers.
    AND it's supposed to rain Sunday, the only day I could make the attempt.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Why does the Microcenter have to be out in fucking Orange County. A one way bus trip is at least 3 hours, with perfect transfers.
    I'm going later today or tomorrow to the Tustin one. Tell me what you want.

It can't be the 3600X cuz I'm getting that for myself or the 2600X because I'm getting that for someone else.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Those were the ones I was thinking of, so thanks for the offer at least.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Too bad you can't order online for pickup. When the Pentium G3258 was new I'd order one for online pickup and then grab one from the BYO section. Or, just buy one, wait 10 minutes and head back in and make sure to get a different person. Worse case is you get a no.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Too bad you can't order online for pickup. When the Pentium G3258 was new I'd order one for online pickup and then grab one from the BYO section. Or, just buy one, wait 10 minutes and head back in and make sure to get a different person. Worse case is you get a no.
    I did it last night for pick up today. It's disabled now though

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Take the Metrolink? The Tustin stop is about a mile away. But I also have no frame of reference which direction you're traveling.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm trying to come up with an excuse to get one and I just can't justify it for a secondary PC when I already have components that will work. Le sigh.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

There's three 2600X left after I grabbed one. The 3800X is out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I just noticed something. The DVD-RW I got with this pc seems to be having problems with its switch (won't open without me pressing it 20 times). I found a program to click and spit it out, but it may mean I need to rep that drive. Any suggestions? (BTW, it's called Door Control.)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

as much as anyone I know uses a cd drive you can just get a plug in external usb one for $10-20

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    I just noticed something. The DVD-RW I got with this pc seems to be having problems with its switch (won't open without me pressing it 20 times). I found a program to click and spit it out, but it may mean I need to rep that drive. Any suggestions? (BTW, it's called Door Control.)
    If you absolutely must have an internal drive, just hit up a microcenter/fry's/amazon. Think I paid 10 bucks for an OEM Toshiba DVD RW when I last built a computer a few years ago.