• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 154 of 219 FirstFirst ... 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 204 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Note 20 Ultra, prolly does smoke any ultrabook at the price. i'll look into that dockdeck jibba jabba.

BG Level

or i'll just throw it up for a bad job and buy the cheapest chromebook in the state ONLY TIME WILL TELL

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    alright you dork ass nerds think i've settled my $1000ish school and emulation laptop quest on either the Samsung Galaxy Book Flex, the Dell XPS 13, or HP Spectre x360

alternatively if this year's offerings look dope af i could just grab a cheapo Chromebook for the nonce and grab a refreshed line later down the line (like Surface Pro 8)

SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER LIVE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE YOU COULD HAVE SAVED ME FROM A SUBOPTIMAL LAPTOP PURCHASE
    Stop everything you are doing

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

not really, serious gaming is mostly irrelevant as i have my desktop. just looking to maximize productivity i suppose. nice screen and proper keyboard, classy enough finish so i can style on these hos, 2-in-1 is a plus for light tablet work, maximum portability as it will be my out-of-state and out-of-country workhorse.
    Please see this message

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

or i'll just throw it up for a bad job and buy the cheapest chromebook in the state ONLY TIME WILL TELL
    Check out reddit laptopdeals

Literally stalk it for a week before buying. I caught a HUGE deal recently (40%+ off) on "laptop for school I can game on" and got it under 1k. There's huge sales right now with the 3000 series hitting and what's great about it is the 3060 specifically doesn't really perform any better (or worse) than previous gen yet it has not only caused a price drop but there's also sales and rebates on top of it so you can double dip on price reductions.

They also post all their 2 in 1 deals and whatever you're looking for. Basically the more comments a thread has the better the deal, and they keep track of prices so you can see if this is a good deal or a repeat black friday price or better even.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Going to be tearing down my 3090 next week and doing a complete thermal overhaul on it. Wish me luck lads.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you need luck to do it, you should probably leave it alone, lol.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I mean there's always the inherent concern even if you know what you're doing.

About a year ago I redid all the thermals on my laptop (paste/pads/etc) and even with all the proper supplies and knowledge I was still worried about fucking it up. Granted a huge part of that was I was getting deployed in 2 days and if I fucked up I wouldn't have time to get a replacement, but luckily it all worked out.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Is there a site that lays out the graphics card models (bonus points if it's organized by relative performance), and then colors/marks them by actual availability .

So, at a glance, you can determine "I can actually get this rfn".

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post

About a year ago I redid all the thermals on my laptop (paste/pads/etc) and even with all the proper supplies and knowledge I was still worried about fucking it up. Granted a huge part of that was I was getting deployed in 2 days and if I fucked up I wouldn't have time to get a replacement, but luckily it all worked out.

Yeah, it's the availability of a replacement 3090 that would have me concerned.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post

Yeah I want to repaste my laptop but I also don't want to screw with it.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I know I have the ability to do it (opening a GPU is nothing compared to soldering and light board repair), but if you don't have any trepidation when opening a $1700 piece of hardware that is made out of unobtanium and uses fragile ribbon connectors as a part of its construction then you're nuts.

Taking the risk to secure the long term life span of the card. Rather not continue having my memory hit 100-110C because nvidia decided to use $0.50 thermal pads. Going from 1.5w/mK up to 17w/mK is gonna be big.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Better then the ZOTAC thermal pads, which apparently straight up melt

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...otac_rtx_3080/

And yeah I had redone my laptop cooling I replaced that usual blue... gunk they normally use on the VRMs and whatnot and used some Fujipoly pads, which I would guess you're using if it's 17 W/mK

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

This is the 18th time I've posted this: do not buy shit from ZOTAC.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yea, fujipoly. Gonna slap my pet favorite paste on the chip too (Phobya Nanogrease, same thermal performance as Gelid Extreme/Kryonaut but lasts twice as long without degradation; I use it in all of my GPU and laptop mods for this reason).

Edit: grabbed a new case and some new cables. Gonna rebuild when I do the teardown.

case

cables

Actually very excited about the case, it's ridiculously modular and doesn't have a stupid psu cutout

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

3090 FE EKWB ships tomorrow. I can finally complete the loop and close the case.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Got my fancy new excessively priced laptop - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SJT94PW

5900HX/16 GB 3080/1440p 165hz display

Still in the setup process (only tested out Cyberpunk and Destiny 2 so far) but definitely feeling it in the early going. Barely heavier then the thin and light max-q laptop I had before but now with a GPU that goes up to 130W (as opposed to the 80W Max-Q) and obviously the massive performance gains going from an 8th gen Intel to a brand new Ryzen

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I wanted a Strix Scar 15/17 so bad to replace my A51m but I ended up ordering a GE76 Dragon Edition Tiamat. 10870H or w/e + 150w tgp 3080 which is the best they're doing I think.

More powerful but I still would've preferred the strix due to form factor and panel quality. I also kicked around going for a GE66 15in and flashing the GE76 vbios onto it but I ended up not doing it. I'll wait the extra couple weeks for the 76 to arrive.

I also looked at the Aero 15 from Gigabyte. OLED HDR screen but the 3080 was only 100w so I didn't bother. The ASUS Flow was also on my radar but I don't wanna deal with the docking station since I usually play on a hospital table.

So yeah. Grabbed the big boy GE76 etched up the wazoo version from HIDevolution, having them calibrate the display and apply conductonaut to the cpu and phobya nanogrease to the gpu plus some fujipoly extreme pads to everything else. $150 more for all that but imo worth it. Also bypasses the shit tier msi rma process.

Vid of the unit itself below. It's pretty as fuck. Way I see it I paid $200 extra for the etching and $300 extra for 32gb of ram that I don't need and another 1tb of ssd storage.

Spoiler: show

Lmk how the strix treats you. We can compare notes.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Still gonna be setting stuff up for the rest of the night, but everything feeling solid.

The thermals are better then what I saw most early reviews say, leaving it on the default turbo profile (which limits fans to 75% and like 47dba), seeing temps on CPU and GPU settle into the high/low 70s respectively, which is just fantastic for a 15 incher with this much under the hood

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well I did find one major (ish) issue with it, which a quick search around the internet is apparently a recurring issue with Asus ROG laptops of late.

The computer can't go into sleep mode. Activating sleep mode will turn off the screen and all the various RGB, but the drive activity light just starts going ballistic and the fans ramp up to maximum speed, and it will just sit there like that until you wake it back up.

Apparently it's from the Armoury Crate app, which is unfortunately the hub for control lighting/fan/power profiles so I can't exactly uninstall it. Having to turn off or hibernate the computer instead of sleep mode isn't the end of the world since it boots so fast anyways, but still very very dumb.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag