• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

The brick in your pocket. The smartphone discussion/troubleshooting thread.

This is a thread to discuss any issues with Android based phones, iPhone or others.

I'll start us off. I recently had a problem with a Samsung Galaxy phone were it wouldn't stay connected to a secure wifi network. Would drop the signal about every 30 seconds and then reconnect, drop, ad nauseam. I tried everything and I mean everthing to fix it and nothing worked. Verizon store said there was nothing wrong with the phone hardware and it must be a software issue. Samsung must have screwed something up etc. No official explanation of why this was happening to my phone and others. I finally gave up and just used my capped (slow >_<) mobile data sparingly to keep apps up to date, place a to-go order, and started looking for a new phone. Then about a week ago out of the blue my wifi started working again! I suspect they ninja fixed it in an app update.

Anyway, here's the problem now. After a security update this month apps don't like wifi anymore! ESPN, news apps, Tapatalk.. when you open one you just get the infinite loading screen. The internet works though. Chrome, Firefox work just fine on both bands of my router. Apps work on mobile date, but again very slow, cause coverage in my area is pathetic. I have about had it! I'm thinking of turning to the dark side and just getting an iPhone + AT&T.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

A couple of ideas:
    1) Do you have a second wifi network you can test against?
    2) Have you tried resetting the apps' caches and checking their permissions?

The "chrome works but ESPN doesn't" problem seems like it has to be a local cache/permissions issue, but observing the same behavior a second wifi network would at least rule that out.

I guess the last thing is to make sure that Chrome isn't giving you the HTTP version of these websites each time. If something about your wifi setup / phone is messing up TLS verification, your apps might fail (refuse to demote from HTTPS to HTTP) while Chrome might not.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

1- No.

2- Yes. I also tried resetting all apps to their default settings just in case. Still didn't work.

I don't know what a internet browsers https settings would have to do with how an app connects to your network. If I wasn't clear before. All apps were working fine on wifi until after the Android security patch. Anyway, I think the decision to switch phones has already been made for me. From the hacked thread:

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Source code is a bit different then data hacks. Pretty much every phone manufacturer has had a data breach of some sort in the last 5 years as is.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I'll start us off. I recently had a problem with a Samsung Galaxy phone were it wouldn't stay connected to a secure wifi network. Would drop the signal about every 30 seconds and then reconnect, drop, ad nauseam. I tried everything and I mean everthing to fix it and nothing worked. Verizon store said there was nothing wrong with the phone hardware and it must be a software issue. Samsung must have screwed something up etc. No official explanation of why this was happening to my phone and others. I finally gave up and just used my capped (slow >_<) mobile data sparingly to keep apps up to date, place a to-go order, and started looking for a new phone. Then about a week ago out of the blue my wifi started working again! I suspect they ninja fixed it in an app update.

I also think that they are fixed it. But the problem with such a bad attitude to their software that is in use by millions of people. Just hire a good QA engineer and that's all. I'm using Samsung for a long time but it's always a similar problem as yours.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Didn't see a strict Samsung or Galaxy thread.

Not a technical issue, really. Upgrading from a S8 to an S22 or S22+. Wondering if the S22+ has issues being in a case and fitting comfortably in a jeans or slacks pocket. The normal S22 and my S8 are about the same size, but the S22+ being that much larger may make not fitting in a pocket worth the better battery.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I went from an S10+ to the 22 Ultra. I have mine in a spigen case with a kick stand and it fits comfortably in my side jean pocket with no issue. My workout shorts it has a tendency to stick out though, especially if I'm on a weight machine, but that's really been the only time it felt like it was too big for a pocket.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I bought the s22 ultra last month. About 35 days into ownership the screen cracked from flexing in my front pocket. Had it in a Torras Mars case which I absolutely loved. Now it's in an otterbox defender while I play hopscotch finding a repair place that will repair it for less than $400 since I didn't initially get coverage.

Great phone and all, but no more front pocket.

Hoping its just a screen replacement.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I did go and nab the S22+. It is a great overall phone, and I can appreciate what the larger screen brings.

I can also appreciate the practicality of the regular S22 screen size and recognize that the extra inch or so of viewing size doesn't impact me as much as being able to comfortably maneuver the phone screen with my thumb. I am also not unsettled enough to bother going through the process of swapping it out, just in case anyone else was curious.

For me, for the next phone, a 6 inch screen is about where that form vs function debate takes place.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Fi is having pretty good discounts atm for customers. Debating getting on their subscription plan. $9/mo for a Pixel 5a w/ an upgrade in 2 years. Pixel 6 for $20. 24 month payment periods.

Not sure what I want, all pretty good offers. I don't typically give a fuck about phones. I'm still using an OG Pixel XL, but the battery is finally kicking the bucket. The idea of getting a new one every 2 years works so I can think even less about them. Would still come out less monthly than what I was paying AT&T if I were to take even their most expensive offers.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I'll send you a referral code if you switch.

Been on fi since like the alpha, saves me hundreds.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Also I was able to activate Samsung insurance even after owning the phone a month and made an immediate claim.

After running around and a dozen phone calls getting me nowhere I got my screen replaced for $30.

Into the OtterBox defender with dad clip it goes.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Unethical life protip, you can file a claim on the OtterBox website for warranty and they'll send any case for about $8, no questions asked.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Are there any USB C to 3.5mm adapters that aren't completely useless? All the ones I try can't seem to hold a connection against even the slightest movement against the adapter or are plagued with constant sound quality issues.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Apple dongle is the best one I've used. Just make sure you are getting the usbc version, not the lightning one. Has a decent little built in dac too, and can run my Beyerdynamics with no issues.

If you want eq and HiFi output though you'd have to get something like a qudelix 5k or fiio btr5.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Qudelix 5K and the like have a bunch of fancy features but if you aren't going to make use them and just want a 3.5mm output then the Apple USB-C dongle is the way to go. It's unmatched in terms of audio quality for the price range.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

This thing? Because either I'm an idiot or ya'll a bunch of liars - sound is all muted, have to jack up the levels 3x what I usually use to hear anything. And there's still intermittent static and clicking. Unless it can't drive a Bose QC 20 for some reason. And I checked again against my old Note and sounds fine there so I don't think it's the headphones.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Sounds like a problem with your phone or an app on it. You're using IEMs which don't require an amp to drive. Static and clicking isn't a problem with the dongle, especially since you are now complaining about it happening across multiple different ones.

The apple dongle is an industry standard, more than enough for a pair of IEMs. Could be your USB connector on the phone, an app you aren't aware of taking control of system sound and sending bad signals, etc.; based on the fact that the original complaint was about losing connection if you move the dongle, your USB connector is probably fucked.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Some android phones (Pixel 6 being one of them) will not provide the required voltage to USB-C headphone adapters unless you're using a music app with specific support for USB output like USB Audio Player Pro.

If you're getting static and intermittent noise through it then you have an entirely different issue beyond just the adapter.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Looking for a new Android phone, but my current one still works (probably for another few months). If I was going to pick a current-gen flagship and I'm even willing to wait for the next batch to come out, which should I target?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag