She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Banking/budgeting software. Anyone have any favs?

Not going to go into details, but I'm having a feeling that my life's about to get turned upside down. (Don't ask.)

Anyway to make a long story short, I'm going to have to make a budget so I can save up for a scooter, the safety equipment, and class for a motorcycle license. Mainly to make it easier and a little faster for me to get around without having to bum a ride or get Lyft or Uber rides.

Thing is, I have no idea what would be good software for banking/budgeting other than a spreadsheet or Quicken. Does anyone here have any favs? Oh and if people know about actual free software for this, that'd be great. Not to mention I'd have something to add to the software list. ^^ Also keep in mind that I'm North American please. ^^

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Honestly, unless it's a business, you don't need anything fancy. Easiest way would either be Quick Books or just an excel spread sheet. Note down all your mandatory expenses, what the fixed payments are you are making for them, subtract that from your monthly pay. From there break down how much you need for gas, food, etc, subtract that, and then what you have left is available for fun money, savings, etc. Honestly budgeting is something you can make as complicated or as simple as you want.

Personally I just use a notepad file with what's being paid on each paycheck, and I partially use my savings account to hold my monthly payments like car, loan, and rent so it doesn't get spent, since my savings account is essentially a set it and forget it place, and I only draw from that if it's an emergency since our savings isn't that big.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Thanks Mel. Since I use a credit union, I have a savings account already (mostly unused atm; they require you to open one with 5 bucks in it to use the place, tho I have a checking account too with 'em); I was planning on using that for the scooter savings.

I'll look into quickbooks; seriously I don't want to worry about a subscription with that. Also my expenses are also pretty low, considering I live with 3 siblings. If what I think hits, I'm going to have a lot more money to play with thank goodness.

Might also check for a spreadsheet template if the home version of quickbooks is too pricy then. All I ask from you guys; keep your fingers crossed. ^^

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Why no one mentioned Mint yet? https://www.mint.com/

It's free if you don't mind getting some targeted ads and can connect to most US/Canada banks/CC/financing/etc.

I've been using it for years and let's hope it won't show up in the "Oh hey look who got hacked today" thread... yet.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The mint budgeting doesn't seem great nor is it easy to add stuff that doesnt automatically show up on your bank account (charge cards)

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Any cash purchase have to be entered manually but I pay 2/3rd of my spendings using credit cards (always paying in full of course) to get that sweet 2.5% to 5.0% cashback.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I just use Excel.