+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Hurricane Season 2023: Record Sea Temps Could Mean Record Storms

Hurricane Season is upon us and looks like SoCal might be 1st!

https://twitter.com/JimCantore/statu...41643845558543

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Hilarious. We need the damn rain, bring it.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    Hilarious. We need the damn rain, bring it.
    Hurricane's name is Hilary, lol.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

This is so fucking backwards lol.
    As a previous Floridian of 23 years never thought I'd see the day while living in California we would be in the path of one before Florida.

People in my west coast disney groups are losing their minds it's hilarious.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

cLiMaTe ChAnGe isn't real

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Man, living in Las Vegas, it's 104 today, but because of that hurricane, it is supposed to only be a high of 78 here on Sunday. Not sure I've ever seen it that low in the middle of August before.

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm just mad that a Tropical Storm/Hurricane named Hilary isn't going after Florida. The potential memes would have been much better if it was Florida blaming Hilary.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Strengthened to a cat4.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Koyangi View Post
    Hurricane's name is Hilary, lol.
    Also my ex's name.

Chilling in Ocean Beach nowadays and saw this pop up on news and I was like ".....what?" lol. Guess ill stock up a little on batteries and food and stuff just incase. The crazy storms back in December/January took out our power transformer for a few days .

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've lived in Los Angeles for 36 years and a system has never been forecast for direct landfall in the basin. The National Hurricane Center has never issued a Tropical Storm Watch on the LA coastline in its history before Hilary.

But the National Weather Service's 11th bulletin from an hour ago just elevated the first Watch of the current era to a Warning for most boroughs of west Los Angeles. This one is actually coming, Sunday night, and people here just cannot fathom the ways it is different than the cold Arctic storms that daintily spin into the state every winter.

The California Current is going to do its job, bringing frigid water from the Gulf of Alaska to rob Hilary of energy, and wind sheer is going to decapitate it. It won't be anything near Cat 4 on Sunday night when it's spinning over us, but friends and colleagues do not fucking understand that Tropical Storm is the formal rank beneath Cat 1; that it is still going to have 35-74 mph sustained winds for 1-10 min intervals for like 20 straight hours, with occasional gusts above that; that it is going to drop a stupid amount of rain in a very short time, causing local flash flooding in our foothills and rivers; that copious lightning will likely start more brushfires; that it'll keep pressing north into Nevada, and make a huge mess as it dissipates into the Great Basin.

Hilary is not going to be sending cars tumbling down the street. It is not going to be blasting out windows. Its storm surge is going to be utterly non-threatening. There will be no evacuation orders issued. Sparse power outages may happen, but if so, they'll be super isolated. The basin's infrastructure and flood planning is sound and will handle it easily, blasting the runoff back to sea like our winter atmospheric rivers. The threat to human life is almost nil. Motorists will panic like always and make commuting on Monday hell.

But what pisses me right off is my friend with $10K of loose stuff on his porch -- hanging pots, wind chimes, hummingbird feeders, the grill we use every Tuesday, deck furniture -- who treats me like a fucking psychopath for offering to help move some of that stuff indoors. He thinks it's just going to rain this weekend, and he is not alone. The 5 hours of exposure to Kay's outer bands last summer did nothing to really inform what our climatic future looks like as the Cal Current dies over the next 20 years; maybe Hilary will be more of a wake-up call.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Floridians laugh at anything that's a cat 2 or less, but y'all Californians should take it seriously. You guys are not prepared the same as us. Buy up bottled water now, fill your tub with water and use that for things like refilling your toilet tank or other not consumable activities, get some canned food and candles, the works. Be careful fam

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    maybe Hilary will be more of a wake-up call.

I remember parts of the freeway flooded/turned into a river last time.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Floridians laugh at anything that's a cat 2 or less, but y'all Californians should take it seriously. You guys are not prepared the same as us. Buy up bottled water now, fill your tub with water and use that for things like refilling your toilet tank or other not consumable activities, get some canned food and candles, the works. Be careful fam

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    As a former Floridian I agree with this, though until its Cat 3 I dont worry tbh. Cat 4 is no joke if it makes landfall at that strength ANYWHERE. Now I'm 6 hours away in the SF bay area so we will likely see some rainfall and maybe some gusts around 30mph to 50mph but people down south have no clue what to expect.

The memes though about people avoiding Floridia and going to Disneyland instead are kind of popping up in my feed lol.
    It won't be Cat 4 level due to water temps and wind shear but given how terrible we handle disasters like fires , better to be prepared than not.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hurricane Sandy was barely a Cat 1 when it hit NY/NJ and fucked their shit up, Californians who are unprepared should be taking note

But yes as resident Florida Man I can confirm we don’t even blink unless it’s cat 3 or higher. Cat 4 or higher we take very serious. Cat 2 and below we throw hurricane parties.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's the same thing with earthquakes on the East Coast. When that tiny little 5.8 hit Virginia and caused massive amounts of damage. On the west coast a 5.8 probably wouldn't even wake up a lot of people from an afternoon nap.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    On the west coast a 5.8 probably wouldn't even wake up a lot of people from an afternoon nap.
    Hehe, yup!
    Spoiler: show
    (Bro STFU! We're way overdue for even a moderate quake. The last thing LA needs on top of the flooding/fires next week is a M6.0+ event. The gods were already pissed enough about the Barbie movie to send Hilary, quit taunting them further ya goof.)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

EvilHillaryLaugh.gif

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

AHAHAHA

Phone just alerted a 5.5 out in Ojai

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    It's the same thing with earthquakes on the East Coast. When that tiny little 5.8 hit Virginia and caused massive amounts of damage. On the west coast a 5.8 probably wouldn't even wake up a lot of people from an afternoon nap.
    speak of the devil. lol preliminary 5.0 quake around Ojai. Phone even gave me the early warning.

Didn't even get out of my computer chair.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag