BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

"Owlboy" - Upcoming Indie 2D Platformer

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Honestly, the gameplay looks kind of dull. The levels are kind of sparse and I'm not picking up some cool metatextual purpose for it.

Not very interesting :/

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It reminds me a lot of "Ecco the Dolphin," honestly. I imagine you're going to have to press a button for every one of the wing beats, but I wonder how that will work with the firing function (once you gain it). Shouldn't be difficult to use both at the same time thanks to triggers and such.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

He's using the mouse to aim the gun in the trailer. Maybe something like the right analogue stick to aim/fire similar to something like Geometry Wars or Smash TV could work. Visuals look really nice but like Max said the game doesn't look particularly interesting. I'll look into it since there'll be a demo/trial version but I can't say I'm too impressed by the trailer.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

I'm curious what you thought was impressive about this, it seemed generic but maybe I was missing something. Not trying to be rude, I really think I might have not understood something because it looked like an owl flying around, carrying some guy shooting some really light green, barely visible, pellets. Oh yeah, and he had to fly through twig rings occasionally for... bonus points? Were there points or was flying through the rings just for fun? Maybe I'm more confused than unimpressed.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The "Ecco the Dolphin" similarity was what jumped out at me originally, as you don't see titles like that very often -- games with a minimal amount of encounters, which emphasize exploration above all else. Although "Owlboy" is still in development, I do not believe they're going to add more enemies, but that is a possibility. They're specifically calling it a "free-roaming flying game with dungeons," so I would imagine that what you see is what you'll get.

I'm honestly quite interested. I enjoy the music, the simplistic atmosphere, and the relaxed nature of the title. I really don't think you're missing anything, I just suppose it's not your type of game. A lot of people didn't like Ecco or only played it for a stage or two, so that's understandable.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I liked Ecco, and I wasn't getting any Ecco vibes from this.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

To be honest, I'm a little surprised no one's interested. I wanted more people to anticipate it with! Alas. I found the video enchanting. Absolutely love the art style, too.

Destructoid interview: Owlboy | Destructoid, The hardcore gamer's community

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I feel like a lot of people are under the mindset of "It's indie, it must be new and hip and innovative!", when it's really not true at all. Sure, there are awesome indie games, but there's a lot more shitty indie games. This game seems to be like one of the latter.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It certainly isn't "Braid," but as the creators noted in their interview, if everyone expected each indie game to be that, they'd be disappointed. I personally appreciate the pixel art approach, and the deliberately laid-back atmosphere. Although the pieces being used to put it together with are decidedly retro, some aspects of the art style are very current, almost a mixture of 1940's North American animation and modern Japanese fantasy.

One of my friends was specifically reminded of Henk Nieborg, but I don't see that as much. His art style is much more nuanced and definitely European in nature: http://www.henknieborg.nl/frames.html

That aside, I haven't played this game much as the rest of you haven't, so this is merely my anticipation. Would be nice if it was fun, though.

EDIT: Spelling.

Banned.

BG Level

The only thing that stood out was the music did not match the graphics. There doesn't seem to be reason to be all 8-bit like, but I guess it only makes it easier. Just seems odd because the graphics look amazing.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Coming November 1st

Spoiler: show

Caps & Art
    It's been a long time coming, as we've soon been working 10 years on Owlboy! But now, the time is finally drawing closer to release - and this September at PAX West, we're going to announce the release date for our game!

If you want to meet us personally, please don't hesitate to visit us at our booth at PAX Rising - smack in the middle of the show floor at PAX West.

We're going to update you all with news on the game as we get closer to release, so feel free to check back here every so often.

For now, you can check out previews from our game. We've made a list of the ones we've come across on our website: owlboygame.com

All the best ~ D-Pad Studio
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/1158...64930528977185
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/115800
    http://www.dpadstudio.com/presskitOwlboy.html

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Buy for me. Looks just overwhelmingly cool and lovingly put together.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Limited Editions for PS4 & Switch revealed

Spoiler: show

The Limited Edition of Owlboy includes the base game for either Nintendo Switch or PS4TM along with a range of alluring collector’s items, in an exclusive Limited Edition box. Each of these boxes will include the following items:

• Owlboy base game for Nintendo Switch or PlayStation 4

• Certificate of authenticity with a unique Limited Edition number

• Original soundtrack, physical copy featuring the majestic Owlboy sounds

• Owlboy notebook for logging all your adventures

• Owlboy manual full of useful information about the game

• Two pins, one of the Owlboy logo and one of main character Otus

• Two metal coins inspired by the collectible 'Buccanary coins' in the game

• Pin box to safely store your pins and coins

• Sticker sheet with seventeen magnificent Owlboy stickers

There will only be 6000 pieces of this Limited Edition available worldwide per platform.
    http://soedesco.com/