Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Low man Salvage.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Low man Salvage.

I'm probably going to be banished to 'zam for this, but I figure it's worth a shot anyway. (Yes I searched, I read, I'm just asking for somebody else to think for me.)

Some friends and I are making a low man salvage LS, and I'm wondering which zones would be doable, and which bosses would also be feasible.

Our set up is:
    MNK/WAR/NIN/SAM
    NIN/SAM/PLD
    RDM/DRG
    BRD/PLD
    WHM/RDM/BST
    AegisPLD.

I'm not entirely sure what to ask beyond that, so I apologize for the rather short post.

Re: Low man Salvage.

Quote Originally Posted by Akumaronin
    I'm probably going to be banished to 'zam for this, but I figure it's worth a shot anyway. (Yes I searched, I read, I'm just asking for somebody else to think for me.)

Some friends and I are making a low man salvage LS, and I'm wondering which zones would be doable, and which bosses would also be feasible.

Our set up is:
    MNK/WAR/NIN/SAM
    NIN/SAM/PLD
    RDM/DRG
    BRD/PLD
    WHM/RDM/BST
    AegisPLD.

I'm not entirely sure what to ask beyond that, so I apologize for the rather short post.

A BLM can be really useful (ideally your Aegis PLD would be able to come BLM sometimes), but other than that you can do pretty much everything. Lack of BLM will hinder your ability to kill certain NMs, but it's probably still doable.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

It's a decent base setup, but adding 1-2 more player wouldnt hurt. 1blm and a 2nd mnk especially

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I dont see your set up killing any bosses, has anyone even killed a boss with 6? Im sure its possible but you would need alot of time for it cuz of low damage. On the other hand, a 6 person pt is great for getting all your 15 and 35 drops.

Adding a BLM, and another monk, would that allow us to be able to take out chariots? Or would we need to find more members in order to get our 25's?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    I dont see your set up killing any bosses, has anyone even killed a boss with 6? Im sure its possible but you would need alot of time for it cuz of low damage. On the other hand, a 6 person pt is great for getting all your 15 and 35 drops.
    All bosses have been killed with 6.

Adding a BLM, and another monk, would that allow us to be able to take out chariots? Or would we need to find more members in order to get our 25's?
    All bosses can be killed with the right 6 people (no relics necessary)

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    What would the proper set up be, or is it simply a matter of working well together? I can see about moving some things around to achieve it if it's a set up problem, as long as it doesn't require a K club or some such thing.

Sorry about all the questions, but I greatly appreciate it.

What would the proper set up be? I can see about moving some things around to achieve it, as long as it doesn't require a K club or some such thing.
    MNK MNK BRD WHM RDM BLM is the ideal "all-around" 6-man setup for any salvage. Other good combos are:

MNK BRD BRD WHM RDM BLM (if MNK is pro)
    MNK melee BRD WHM RDM BLM (melee with /NIN)
    tank tank BRD WHM RDM BLM (tank is either PLD, NIN, or MNK)
    tank tank BRD WHM RDM mage (where mage is either BLU, BRD, WHM, RDM, or BLM)

Basically you need 2 melee and good mage support. BLM are useful for bosses to cut down time, but they can be replaced by RNG or any other mage if the run is strictly a boss run. BLM is necessary for certain NMs though to help keep stuff slept. You can get by without a BLM for any boss though.

My ideal 6-man pt is mnk mnk thf rdm whm brd. Thf for TH on the way up.

MNK MNK BRD WHM RDM BLM is the ideal "all-around" 6-man setup for any salvage. Other good combos are:

MNK BRD BRD WHM RDM BLM (if MNK is pro)
    MNK melee BRD WHM RDM BLM (melee with /NIN)
    tank tank BRD WHM RDM BLM (tank is either PLD, NIN, or MNK)
    tank tank BRD WHM RDM mage (where mage is either BLU, BRD, WHM, RDM, or BLM)

Basically you need 2 melee and good mage support. BLM are useful for bosses to cut down time, but they can be replaced by RNG or any other mage if the run is strictly a boss run. BLM is necessary for certain NMs though to help keep stuff slept. You can get by without a BLM for any boss though.
    I see, thank you.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Ideal = 2mnk/nin whm rdm brd. The 6th spot? almost any job can fit 6th..but id have to go with 1 of these 5: blm/rdm/mnk/cor/brd#2 As for pld on bosses..id have to say there only use is pld/nin just keeping semi hate to kite or tank if needed, and of course helping cure.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

What do you "need" BLM for in a low man group except Bhaflau 4F Rampart? MNK MNK BRD RDM WHM THF can't kill all 10 gears reliably, in my experience, so I like having 2 BLMs along for those. Other than that, anything else can be killed easily without any BLMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd
    What do you "need" BLM for in a low man group except Bhaflau 4F Rampart? MNK MNK BRD RDM WHM THF can't kill all 10 gears reliably, in my experience, so I like having 2 BLMs along for those. Other than that, anything else can be killed easily without any BLMs.
    Nice to have a BLM for popping Citadel and for Dekka / Deadpan since they aren't affected by Amnesia. Nice to have a BLM for stunning Bhoot, and also helps a ton to open on 3F QQTH with Burst II if you're trying to kill it without touching any other mobs on 3F.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BLM roles - Sleepga the tons of mobs when rooms link (gears when they can be slept, Mamools in Zhayolm...etc), stun Discord/Homing Missile, extra damage.
    For small man teams, most people don't have more than the 2 mnks or tanks meleeing else it will give the boss too much TP. Apart from SAM or /SAM, no other melee can contribute much in terms of damage. That's why you have BLM for on demand damage without the side effect of boss TP gain.
    Besides you have a rdm and brd who is generating 6 mp/tick, why not make good use of that?

Without a thief, you can pretty much forget about Arrapagos. You won't get enough cells to unlock even 6 people. And anything for that additional 1% chance or w/e SE has programmed for 35 pieces^^. /THF will take a SJ to unlock and you'll need this for the tank in Arrapagos since you only get 1 until you see gears on 4th floor.

my 2 cents~

Quote Originally Posted by tymora
    That's why you have BLM for on demand damage without the side effect of boss TP gain.
    Huh??

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Mnk/nin,nin/war (or/drk), pld/nin (pld/whm?), rdm, whm, brd.
    You should be able to kill every boss, but it would involve skipping many lv35 NM otw. Adding a blm and a mnk would allow you to clear every area most of the time.

Adding a war (ridill recommanded) would works to speed up the run, and they are pretty good against certain mega (I prefer war over mnk in silversea).

Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd
    Stun help a lot against mega, and they are the most tp given/dmg efficient job. They will always shave a few minute out of the run when you have to kill gears/chariot. They help a lot on 4th rampart like you said, against bhoot NM/qiqirn, and they can be a nice backup healer.

BLM are never necessary, but they help a ton in overall, especially on shitty run.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Nice to have a BLM for popping Citadel and for Dekka / Deadpan since they aren't affected by Amnesia.
    Amnesia or not, Deadpan and Dekka both take very high melee damage and have a ton of HP. My BLMs don't even usually have magic at this point because it's not a priority, they're essentially useless on both of these. The same principle applies for the Citadel Ramparts and the Rampart to get to 4F - They take pretty high melee damage and have high HP. While I have no idea if BLM nukes are enhanced on these sets of mobs or not as well, but if they aren't, then BLMs aren't very super on them. The extra damage would be nice, sure, but not a reason to make someone come BLM over, say, MNK or WAR.

Nice to have a BLM for stunning Bhoot,
    There are a lot of alternatives to handling this, including Stun WS (Shoulder Tackle specifically), DRK, and sub DRK (make your THF sub DRK, so his sub is actually useful). With Banish III on the Bhoot, he goes down extremely fast, faster than BLMs can do.

and also helps a ton to open on 3F QQTH with Burst II if you're trying to kill it without touching any other mobs on 3F.
    I can't argue with this one really, but if you have a melee heavy group, just have them save TP and all sneak to the QQTH room. Despite popular beliefs, Bhoots aren't true sound in Salvage (or their range is less than 2'), so it's easy to have the group get there. Everyone unloads WS at the same time, and then everyone stands just in front of the big long room so they're in range when the QQTH decides to come back. If he doesn't come back, you have a RDM and WHM placed along the path to DOT it until it comes back, where you maul it down again. This is especially effective if your THF lands Feint right before your weapon skills go off or when it comes back to melee you again.

As for tymora, the only thing you mention there that I'd agree you need a BLM for as opposed to someone else who can fill the role is stunning LBC's HM if needed, and that's only if you don't go after 4F Rampart in the same run.

Also, a little correction, your RDM and BRD are generating 8mp/tick, not 6. If they're not generating 8, you need a new BRD. One that doesn't sit on his ass all day. Storm Fife is win and it only costs 10 Salvages - more than worth it.

I dunno, I just find BLMs more of a hinderance than a help on most runs, but I still take them because of my member job combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by elphaba
    My shell will be small (under 18)
    I lol'ed here. Sorry, no offense, i guess you haven't done much salvage. but "under 8" is usually what most people would consider small. If you try doing anything in Salvage with more than 10 or 11 people and you will hate it. I guess if you have 18 though you can split into two groups of 9, or 3 groups of 6.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Sorry for the necrobump, I've been reading this forum most of the morning and I couldn't find a more applicable place to ask this.

What, aside from a MNK, are the best tanks for salvage in general? My shell will be small (under 18), and atm I don't even know that I have any mnks yet (one, maybe two, will have one when my bf gets the last 11 levels he needs. like i said, just starting). We have some people with 5-8 jobs, and some with very few.

I was probably going to have at least one nin and one war, but I wasn't sure which was better for survivability.

also, is drk/nin even a consideration for an off tank or such? We use it in Nyzul Isle all the time, I'm not sure how much it carries over into Salvage.

I'm really really a salvage noob, and there's only so much you can read before your brain turns to mush and you curl up in a ball and cry.

Thanks for all the information all around this forum.
    there's a whole thread titled "alternative tanks for chariots" that you might look into

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

My shell will be small (under 18)
    I lol'ed here. Sorry, no offense, i guess you haven't done much salvage. but "under 8" is usually what most people would consider small. If you try doing anything in Salvage with more than 10 or 11 people and you will hate it. I guess if you have 18 though you can split into two groups of 9, or 3 groups of 6.
    That's exactly right. That's also my dream and ideal eventually, but 95% of us have done 5 salvage runs or less. All the runs I've done were with a full alliance or so, and not everyone can come every week (like I think right now we have 13 people but only 7 i am pretty sure of can come tonight). So at the beginning we're going to pile in together and give everyone experience, then branch off from there once we know who can come when, and what days. My shell is basically a bunch of friends that are like "hay let's do salvage and have fun" and we're all just wanting to do exactly that.

like I said, I can't even remotely thank everyone that's posted so much stuff in here, it's great information and I hope one day to be adding onto it.
    Well in all honesty you'll have a horrible exerience if you go in with a lot of people and most likely what'll happen is noone learns anything at all. It'd be best for you to go split up into 2 groups of lower numbers (preferrably under 10) and go to 2 different areas or both in the same area (probably want to start with Silver Sea or Bhaflau Remnants just for their simplicity). I can't name really any situation where having more than 9-10 people would be more beneficial than splitting up into different groups.

Past 9-10 (especially in zhayolm and arrapago) you'll start to find that you are unable to adequately gear people and the chaos ends up being too much with the pass/lot speed necessary. Starting out with a group of 8-10 or so and then learning how to work well with each other will ultimately give you the most experience of all. Good luck in salvage.