BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Charges

I've just done a search and was kinda swamped with possibilities that didn't lead me very far. Yell at me if you want but better yet point me at a useful post somewhere about charging for synthing.

I'm not that high, being 82.5 Clothcrafter but it's already coming up and I'd rather be up front about what happens with HQ etc etc. Working hard on getting my subs up, amassing GP etc (have +1, on my way to +2). I figure that by 90 I should have a plan :D

Not a pressing issue - but already being asked to synth vermy's etc.

Don't synth for random strangers and acquaintences.
    For close friends, let them decide what they can afford.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

And always get the materials up front, don't buy ingredients, synth and tell them the price. If you don't HQ and they find out they can get a NQ much cheaper on AH, they might not pay and you can lose friends... I learned that real quick

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Katalya
    And always get the materials up front, don't buy ingredients, synth and tell them the price. If you don't HQ and they find out they can get a NQ much cheaper on AH, they might not pay and you can lose friends... I learned that real quick
    Those people sound pretty retarded. "What? You don't have a 100% HQ rate? I HATE YOU!"

Personally I would craft and sign for friends without charge.
    However if it does really involve a charge

I'd second on not buying synth mats up front and give
    some reasonable terms with the buyer:
    nq, hq, break liability etc

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Quote Originally Posted by Katalya
    Those people sound pretty retarded. "What? You don't have a 100% HQ rate? I HATE YOU!"
    haha these people are the best. They just don't know how crafting works and expect you to make money for them. The other day I had a person ask
    xxx>> can you desynth somthing for meee?
    me<< sure
    xxx>> can you try not to hq it? its worth more that way
    xxx>> but dont break it ; ;
    me<< um... {i'm sorry, i'm busy now}

Or the people who think crafters are greedy because they see that something sells for way more than materials. The never seem to notice that the nq costs way LESS than the materials for the same stupid thing. Guess which one crafters tend to make more often?

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Ouch, hadn't thought of that but I would ask peeps to bring me the ingredients because often it's a hassle tracking them down. For friends I'll go out of my way to cut costs and synth components etc but it can be time consuming.

Thanks for the responses. Terms for items that HQ unexpectedly are the thing that bothers me the most I guess. Likelihood right now isn't high, but I'm about to do another push for a few more points

Old Merits
    BG Level

I just do zero cost, zero liability, you come to me, and if I see it on AH or in a bazaar soon your on my shit list method.

Now if someone comes to me with 3 VC's or enough material for 12 corsair guns, I'll just tell them that they can find what they want on the AH.

Of course my cooking mule gets no love, still it saves me absurdity level amounts of gil as a bst

2nd this.

I also side with the not buying mats for the customer. My question is, what would be considered reasonable terms of service on all sides; NQ, HQ, and breaking?

I have heard several theories on what to do about HQing a piece unexpetedly and have heard anywhere from charging a certain percentage of what the HQ is worth to just a flat rate like 1-2 mil. I am getting close to 100 on my cloth and I am wondering what other crafters do in these situations. Thanks for the input

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

My approach is to ask for 25% of whatever the profit is gonna be for them. I won't assume any risks for breaks.

For example: Scorpian Harness synths, V. Claw is 3.8 mil, NQ is about 3.3 mil, HQ is about 9mil. My fees are Break = Sorry, here's what's left back, NQ= no charge, HQ = 1.25 mil.

If I know the person (well) I'll let them use the item until they want to sell it then send me my fee. If I don't I'll hold onto the item until they can come up with the fee. If they intend to sell it and pay me later, I'll sell it for them and then send them everything but the fee.

Sometimes I also get asked to do mass-synths (precursor synths). For those I'll generally charge by the hour.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

NQ = Free HQ = 10% of Est value. Breakage = their problem. I tel this to people up front and so far no problems. Also I do not advertise my crafting. I mostly craft for LS only, and friends of friends. I have done crafting for random people, but maybe this happens once every 6 months.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I hate people who come expecting no charge if i break, doing 600+hktk clusters ive broken a few(very small amount but it happens) and the people are like can i have my 100k back?

Though for a random person who bought me dragon heart, i got 6 bloods then hqed 5/6 they got me materials for and just wanted for nothing, i told them i was charging 30-40% because A. they were not going to use 2 cursed gaunts-1 or cuisses-1 and B. i can because they are mine if they dont want to pay what i tell them they have to, life sucks deal with it

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

My approach is to ask for 25% of whatever the profit is gonna be for them. I won't assume any risks for breaks.
    This is my policy
    i can because they are mine if they dont want to pay what i tell them they have to, life sucks deal with it
    A great response when people want something free, or tip 10k for an errant cape

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Do I fall into the latter category?
    If so, I need Cursed mitts -1 and Mahatma Houpelande. I can afford 387g tip. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Do I fall into the latter category?
    If so, I need Cursed mitts -1 and Mahatma Houpelande. I can afford 387g tip. :D
    Bring materials

dont listen to these people man when you hit 100 synth for all people. When you get the big hq keep that shit and trade them nq. Never feel guilty about keeping a hq because 95% of the people will sell your hq and buy nq anyway.

it depends. some stuff i tell them up front if i HQ i keep it. but for friends and such if i HQ on thier mats they get the HQ.