1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 23 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 23 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No sound for alpha test     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

No sound for alpha test

Hi everyone. I'm new here as you can see, and was hoping someone could help me out.

I downloaded the client on the 7th, and noticed there was no sound at all when preforming the large torrent download, and even after it was done. Then last night when we were allowed to actually play, I had 4 hours of silent gaming =)

I decided to uninstall it all after the session, and re-downloaded it last night to find there's still no sound at all.

I get sound just fine on every other program, was just wondering if anyone came across this issue, or knows what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Have you tried asking in the official Alpha Test forums?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I posted in the hardware problems forum. Seems a couple others have the same issue I do...no resolutions though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

why are you asking alpha related issues on the non-alpha forum? But its on your end, and if rebooting the client doesn't solve your issue then it had to do w/ your DL and go re-DL it.

Just post in the alpha general discussion forum, everyone else does for any little issue

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Maybe you have multiple audio output devices on your system and xiv is arbitrarily choosing one that is not your normal output channel? You can open the audio properties I think and it should have real-time output levels I believe. You can try using that when xiv is running to see if that may be the case. Or maybe get a cheap usb audio device if you got cash to burn.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

kuno is having the same problem with onboard sound, I have an audigy card with no issues

I blame kuno for his own problem.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I kinda wish I could disable sound at times. But ya, no one here will be able to help. There are some rather helpful people on the alpha forums. Post in the General Discussion forum there to see if anyone knows or has a suggestion. Be sure to include what version of Windows you are using.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

If you're running under Win7 I've noticed it has some hiccups when juggling audio in multiple programs because of UAC. Make sure you run the program under administrator access.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Yes, using windows 7 64bit. I selected to run it as admin, still no luck. I posted on the alpha main board, so we will see if anyone has anymore ideas. Also, when I open windows volume mixer, FFXIV doesnt show as one of the applications running.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Download the most recents driver for your sound cards if you did not, it might be a good starts.

Make sure it's not muted in the sound mixer thing, but I'm sure you checked that already.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

It has the latest drivers, and the app doesnt even show up in sound mixer when its opened.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm not being funny here, but most people who had this problem in the original install just deleted and reinstalled to fix it.

EDIT: I know you said you already did that, but it was the only fix I can see from the EU test forums apart from people having muted sound. A bunch of people also had issues with Realtek sound cards, no idea if they got it working in the end.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I've had no sound since the start of alpha 1. aside from mission CS', you're not missing much. i blame shitty on-board sound card.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I guess I could just re-download it all again, I still have about 24 hours until the next test period which is more than enough time.

Let me ask this though. All I would have to do is install the client to see if I have sound, correct? I should have sound as the torrent download starts? I may just keep downloading the client and hope for the best.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Even while its downloading the client, u should hear music. Try updating all ur sound drivers before you re-install or somethin?

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    If you're running under Win7 I've noticed it has some hiccups when juggling audio in multiple programs because of UAC. Make sure you run the program under administrator access.
    you can also right click it and run under admin if not under admin account

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kd2k5 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm new here as you can see, and was hoping someone could help me out.

I downloaded the client on the 7th, and noticed there was no sound at all when preforming the large torrent download, and even after it was done. Then last night when we were allowed to actually play, I had 4 hours of silent gaming =)

I decided to uninstall it all after the session, and re-downloaded it last night to find there's still no sound at all.

I get sound just fine on every other program, was just wondering if anyone came across this issue, or knows what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks for your help!
    is all sound off or just while u play? something like this happened to me. when i uninstalled i manually deleted the folders with the sound files. and it fixed the problem

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Psst this is a month old and alpha is no longer in effect. There is a new client, called beta not alpha. =D

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I still have no sound, didn't in alpha and still don't in beta. Sono suggested I get a new sound card and it still didn't fix it. Any ideas?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

O.o Reinstall windows? :D