1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 34 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -5 hours, -26 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

New Job: Wild Speculations Inside.

This is a shout-out to all my Summoner lovers.
    Let's begin talks. :D

I know it's early but who cares!

What do you guys hope to see come from this job?

Oh! Thanks to solracht for having those images I could view from work.

---------
    Arcanist

Accompanied by a familiar in battle, adepts of the art of arcanum derive their might from symbols of power born of geometric techniques hailing from across the southern seas. Held within special grimoires, these symbols lend shape to the arcanist aether, thereby allowing him to produce myriad powerful spells.

Using magicked gemstones upon which the selfsame symbols are graven, arcanists are also able to summon forth the ephemeral being Carbuncle to carry out their bidding.

Summoner

The beast tribes of Eorzea worship and summon forth beings known as primals, among which are Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan. Yet what is a god to one man is a demon to another, for the city-states of Eorzea see these beings as a grave threat to their collective survival.

In times immemorial, there lived mages who had not only the power to summon the primals, but also the means to transmute the primals' essences, thus binding them to their will. Known simply as summoners, the existence of these men and woman and their arcane art have been all but lost to the ages.
    ------

- I'm hoping we've evolved from avatar perpetuation costs.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I'm not sure where the whips fit in really. There hasn't been a consistent implementation of such a weapon across titles. Sad, I know.

Anyway...

Glad to see summoner getting some love. I just hope they get it right for this game. It doesn't matter what that way is, as long as it works and is balanced within the game itself. Was never a big fan of summoner but it's nice to see the fanservice.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wait, is this for real? If yes: holy shit!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Since it's tied to Arcanist, they'll be using those wonky magic-gun-staff dealies. You can see them in the Arcanist guid in Limsa Lominsa and also on the back of Urianger.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Yeah, if you missed it from the other thread, these were the sites that existed briefly before they took it down:
    Spoiler: show

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It is, the official website update had Arcanist as the class and Summoner as the job, it got pulled down fairly quickly, but a few people were able to screen cap it.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Here are the screen captures. Thank you solracht!

Yikes. My work blocks the ability to see them... well if it didn't load.... They're in my BG bucket. XD

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The only way a Whip really fits in at all with Summoner is with Rydia. The weapon class has since been slapped on Beastmaster and Blue Mage... so it lacks an iconic job pairing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wow, I guess the announcement is coming soon then. Hold on, Yoshida said Summoner won't summon the primals but the description says otherwise...
    Does this mean we'll actually summon Ifrit, Shiva, Garuda, etc.?
    This means that there's another class in 2.0 because Yoshi's image in the newest letter lists 9 battle classes :D

Edit: Bahamut better be my limit break <_<

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Does this mean we'll actually summon Ifrit, Shiva, Garuda, etc.?
    It most likely means we'll be summoning alternate/lesser forms (like Siren) since they've been telling us for a while that we won't summon the actual Primals Garuda/Ifrit/etc.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    I'm not sure where the whips fit in really. There hasn't been a consistent implementation of such a weapon across titles. Sad, I know.
    I was really hoping this time, really! I'm a diehard Rydia fan. Nothing wrong with the other summoners. I just thought maybe this would be the chance to bring that back since the wand/staff department was well established with the white and black mages. C'est la vie.

Magic-gun-staff is cool too. ;-;

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    It most likely means we'll be summoning alternate/lesser forms (like Siren) since they've been telling us for a while that we won't summon the actual Primals Garuda/Ifrit/etc.
    But the description of Summoner clearly states that they are able to summon the primals. Why would they say that in the description and then do something different altogether? We'll probably get weaker versions of them compared to the other way of summoning but it seems pretty clear to me.

Essence of the primals, could just be a spell like Randomguy13 starts casting Hellfire, Aerial Blast, Tidal Wave, etc.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Essence of the primals, could just be a spell like Randomguy13 starts casting Hellfire, Aerial Blast, Tidal Wave, etc.
    Hmm no.

"mages who had not only the power to summon the primals, but also the means to transmute the primals' essences, thus binding them to their will".
    It means that they were able to summon the gods and force them to obey.
    Maybe Yoshida changed his mind and decided to add the primals to the list, it's not the first time honestly (see jumping chocobos).

A. Body
    BG Level

As long as ARC/SMN heals, it's cool. Odds are that's what Carbuncle is for and it's why he's standard even for ARC. If that's the case, then of the soon to be 8 jobs, we'll have 2 healers, 2 tanks, 2 ranged DPS (technically), and 2 melee DPS. That's actually not bad, but they have to start designing more balanced encounters so people won't just stack BLM. Not to rain on a gun-lover's parade, but Musketeer probably shouldn't come out until they've addressed that while keeping the role ratio tight.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The description says that there used to be mages that could summon the Primals, as well as transmute their essence, blah blah blah.

Neither of those statements "clearly states" that the Summoner job will be able to flat-out summon Ifrit/Garuda/Titan/etc.

It could be that you need a Summoner to actually use the one-time-use summon cards that will eventually be dropped by said primals... (this is my bet)

Yoshi has clearly stated that a Summoner class/job will be summoning lesser avatars/pets/whathaveyou and not the main primals.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

I can't wait to run around with my magic-stick-gun-staff-whatever with Carbuncle at my side.

But the real question here is... Can he sit on top of my chocobo? This is the hard hitting question we need to be asking. All joking aside. I'm wondering how summoners will used utility wise.

It would be nice to have another option to WHM healing but I honestly can't consider a Summoner a full time healer. Maybe I'm alone?

It could be that you need a Summoner to actually use the one-time-use summon cards that will eventually be dropped by said primals... (this is my bet)
    I actually was kinda thinking the same thing.
    Maybe that would also be linked with the limit break + Summoner has to be in the party?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

The description says that there used to be mages that could summon the Primals, as well as transmute their essence, blah blah blah.
    This is what half of the job descriptions say. That's what jobs are, after all. Lost arts from the past, blah blah.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

I'm thrilled to have Carbuncle back and super excited about Siren.
    It's nice to have the primals be ones that are popular and well remembered but I wouldn't mind bringing back some of the old hotness as well.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Neither of those statements "clearly states" that the Summoner job will be able to flat-out summon Ifrit/Garuda/Titan/etc.

Yoshi has clearly stated that a Summoner class/job will be summoning lesser avatars/pets/whathaveyou and not the main primals.
    And that can be said about all the damn jobs in this game, they're all lost arts from the past but White Mages still use White Magic and Black Mages still cast Black Magic spells.
    And you really believe that they're adding a new job that will be only useable once every month? I hope you're joking.
    Yoshida has clearly stated many things that turned out to be mistranslations or simply changed during development. If you're willing to believe that over the official description of the job feel free.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

SMN should get a Fenrir mount.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast