FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Lords of the Fallen (PC/PS4/XB1)

CI Games, a fast-growing international publisher and developer of interactive entertainment today officially announced Lords of the Fallen, a challenging fantasy action/role-playing game. Development of the game is being led by Tomasz Gop, former senior producer of the award-winning The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings. Lords of the Fallen is a demanding and strategic third-person action-RPG experience being created for next generation consoles and PC, coming in 2014.

“Our team is building Lords of the Fallen specifically for players who enjoy taking on huge challenges, where the odds are stacked against them,” said Tomasz Gop, executive producer, CI Games. “From the very beginning, Lords of the Fallen will intrigue and satisfy players’ hunger to explore each corner of a brand new world, freely customize and build their own character and take down some of the most epic enemies ever seen.”

Lords of the Fallen is a hardcore action-RPG featuring an advanced combat systems and robust class skill trees. Set in a richly created fantasy world where the Gods have failed mankind, players will take on the role of a human named Harkyn who sets out on a quest to stand against an apparently unstoppable supernatural force. Players travel across a world that is deeply dived by those that follow and others that resist, the Fallen God. Along their journey they will be faced with a series of decisions that will alter both the world and their character thus dramatically impacting the storyline.
    https://www.facebook.com/LORDSoftheFALLEN

City Interactive had a little surprise up its sleeve this year. While it was revealed a few weeks ago, nothing was known about Lords of the Fallen other than being a next-gen Action RPG for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Today I was finally able to get a glimpse at what this game's all about, and exactly how next-gen it really is.

To kick off the hands-off presentation, I was told that Lords of the Fallen has been designed to be one of the hardest Action RPGs ever made. Quite a bold claim considering one of my favorite games, Dark Souls, has already claimed that spot. Regardless, I was eager to see the game in action, and wanted to see whether that claim was in any way truthful.

Lords of the Fallen is an ARPG through and through, and actually takes a lot of elements and inspirations from Dark Souls. For one, the game wants to focus on very duel-oriented combat, meaning that rather than sending 10 enemies on you at once, you're generally going to be fighting an enemy or two at a time. While it sounds limiting, each fight, whether its a standard enemy, a miniboss or a giant monster, will feel tense, and difficult.

A stamina meter will dictate your character's ability to dodge roll out of harms way, and swing their weapon a certain amount of times. Though there aren't classes per se, your character's behavior will rely on the currently equipped weapon. Each weapon class, from what we've seen three today, will have its own associated skill. For example, a hammer will allow the player to make a clone of himself, which will in turn aggro the enemy. Daggers on the other hand slow time, allowing you to get behind and score a critical finisher on the enemy.

The combat itself seems a little faster paced and somewhat smoother than Dark Souls, which is a welcome feature. Whether it was harder, that's hard to tell, one because I didn't actually get to play the game myself, and two because it was an E3 build, and chances are the dev's characters might have been beefed up. Regardless, dodging heavy hitting attacks and striking at the correct time seemed to be a necessity, rather than an optional strategy.

The game will have non-linear exploration, but will be broken up into chapters. The developers really wanted to emphasize that the game will hold many secret collectibles and enhancements for those that really go looking for them. The game will also reward players who decide to backtrack to previously visited levels when certain items or keys are obtained, with powerful equipment and weapons.

One interesting point to note is that even though the game was shown off on a PC, the game was built from the ground up for consoles, meaning the PC version is the port. Looks like next-gen is turning development on its head, with PC's getting ports rather than the other way around.
    http://www.gamezone.com/previews/201...gen-dark-souls

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

[link deleted]

One interesting point to note is that even though the game was shown off on a PC, the game was built from the ground up for consoles, meaning the PC version is the port. Looks like next-gen is turning development on its head, with PC's getting ports rather than the other way around.
    Nope. Also, looks like a super watered down DS experience.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Summary:

Lords of the Fallen is a challenging Action RPG set in a medieval fantasy world ruled by a Fallen God. Fighting against the formidable Lords and Generals that command his demonic army is the main feature of the game. LORDS of the fallen rewards skill and persistence among dedicated Action RPG fans.

The combat system consists of many complex skills that join both weapon mastery and supernatural abilities combined with large number of weapons, armors and upgrades. Large variety of items and gear can be found throughout re-exploration and investigating game’s deep and intriguing secret areas.

Key Features:

Medieval fantasy world

Filled with chaos and lethal danger, where player never feels safe.
    The full history of both world and the player character unveils and dramatically changes throughout the gameplay.
    Fighting against the formidable.

Lords and Generals

Even regular opponents make up a challenging duels.
    Over 15 boss encounters including giant beasts.
    Opponents include both supernatural beings and humans.

The combat system with many complex skills

Large variety of tactical medieval based weapon fighting techniques.
    Powerful and spectacular supernatural skills.

Large variety of items and gear

Classes of gear: Warrior, Rogue, Cleric.
    Tons of hidden objects and locations.
    Freedom of mixing different classes for both gear and skills.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/04/lords-fal...J6Ll0FFgo5Z.99

Ridill
    BG Level

getting a Soul's vibe off that trailer.
    and the following description.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yeah, looks like they're trying to replicate a souls game.

armor and boss design look pretty cool at least

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

and let's be honest, is "copying Souls" that bad of a thing? I'm fine with a more accessible next-gen action rpg

^ agreed, there is a market for games like that and also since Miyazaki doesn't want to do souls games anymore maybe someone else can improve on it. As good as DS2 is, it's already 2nd clone of Demons Souls and lots of players are not so happy about that

Dark Souls 2 is already far more accessible than it needs, but people don't play souls purely for game play.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Dark Souls 2 is already far more accessible than it needs, but people don't play souls purely for game play.
    What do you want to put it on a higher shelf? Only sell it from ABC stores?

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    What do you want to put it on a higher shelf? Only sell it from ABC stores?
    The fuck are you talking about?

The point is, "copying" souls is more than just game play with a sense of danger (any game can do that).

It looks pretty damn fun, if it handles better than Dark Souls(which isn't much of a feat to accomplish), then I'll definitely give it a shot. The PC port nonsense just sounds like an excuse to preempt any expectations of potential customization and probably more shitty engine optimizing we've all come to expect for most companies.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Gameplay doesn't really look much like Dark Souls, tbh. Feels more like HD Kingdoms of Amalur to me.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    The fuck are you talking about?

The point is, "copying" souls is more than just game play with a sense of danger (any game can do that).
    It is a rather punishing game. Not too accessible. I was just making a joke.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    Gameplay doesn't really look much like Dark Souls, tbh. Feels more like HD Kingdoms of Amalur to me.
    im fine with that too, lol

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    im fine with that too, lol
    there's a video somewhere where they say its like an even more Adult Zelda even more so then DarkSiders

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

throwing my money at the screen, etc

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server