BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wireless problems

I keep getting problems and it's pissing me off. I have a wireless router. I have it set so only my computers MAC addresses can connect. I also have it so my SSID isn't broadcast and my authentication is in WPA-PSK. What basicly happens is I disconnect for no reason either my router retarts or just my wireless gets knocked off. I check my router log and i see it says I get spoof attacked or something. A while back I would sometimes see another person on and I wouldn't be sure how to kick them other then just turn wireless off for a while.

I used to also use another authentication but I heard WPA-PSK is better. I changed to short-preamble since I don't really go that far away from router. Anyway I have a few questions:

What can I do to make my wireless safer. Yes I know everything can be hacked but there has to be something I can do since 99% of wireless owners are retard and don't encrypt, I want my shit to be secure or at least have something I can do to get them the fuck off.

How the fuck do I find out who this is. My wireless doesn't go far. I want to know if this is my neighbor or something because I can tell their landlord and get them the fuck out.

Since that last one is hard to do, is there any way I can fuck up his computer? I keep getting his IP and MAC address. There has to be something I can do to fuck with his shit.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Turn off all that crap, and just set up a WPA encryption. Not the best but keeps people out and it's simple. It could be that with all that bullshit turned on, you are causing your router to fuck up ;x

If it continues, Update your firmware. If it continues, trash it and get a new router.

Your neighbor or whoever might not even know that he keeps getting into your router. A lot of laptops do all of that automatically.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    Turn off all that crap, and just set up a WPA encryption.
    QFT

Anything else is really overkill, it would take A LOT to break WPA and anyone that really wanted to needs to really get a life >.>;. Just stay away from WEP its too easy to break>.>;

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Agreed with everyone else, turn all that crap off and just leave WPA, PSK is shit btw.

As far as finding out who the person is, there was a tool I used, its no bigger than a flash drive, that would basiclly sniff out the computer that was connecting to it.

There are other software soultions that will tell you the distance and general direction of the computer from the router, pretty nifty stuff, but all high dollar, ill try to find a warez site that has it.

Im wondering why your router would let other unverified computers connect to it. What brand is it?

In any case, theres always the option of calling up your ISP and reporting the IP for illegal activites. Thats always a fun one :3

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I had a WPA but then people told me to use that. ~.~;

The router brand is DI-624. Checking the log again it apparently resets every time he does it cause its a piece of shit, but I did see his MAC address a few times.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

OK DOUBLE POST TIME

I dunno how to setup a WPA at all. I thought I had that before but I didn't. I dunno what to set for radius IP or port or secret or what any of that stuff means. Any advice?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That didn't help at all. >.>

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

buy new router ;/

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Buy me a new router.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Buy me a new router.

~.~;

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

lol, was cleaning my closet a bit and saw this beast in the corner. First thing that came to my mind was you.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2780/img00052dk4.jpg

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Depending on the setup for your router (check your documentation!), grab an ethernet cable, plug in to the router. Access the router config. Usually the security sections are listed under "Security" or "Wireless Config" or something else in that vein. Switch to WPA, enjoy! An additional option is to add the mac of the asshole hacking in to your firewall's exclude list.

PS, If the router is rebooting from someone forcing in... it's about 3 steps to hash anyway. Save 50 bucks, stop over at ye local Best Buy, Frys, Walmart, or whatever. Get a router. Usually I have had no trouble with my Belkin router... and it was pretty well-priced.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

A nice router than you can apply the custom firmware DD-WRT (like the popular Linksys models) really helped me to get better performance and fix associated problems in my home setup.

I changed my personal Linksys router to the DD-WRT firmware for the reasons you express frustration at- disconnects and wireless failures. I never looked at the log of my router, cause I knew it was crappy firmware. Probably not the same issue you have exactly, but that's my suggestion for a new router if that was an option.

Since you have a MAC address, one cool trick you can do is a reverse lookup to see what kind of computer the MAC address is coming from. The result (say, Dell, HP, or Apple, etc.) would help if the attacker is so close you may see them, and it helps to narrow suspects.

You could also turn off protection, let the attacker into the network, and from there analyze him. NETBIOS names, shares, data you can get from Nmap, etc. all help to identify the intruder. Then turn protection back on.

At this point, I couldn't totally say the attacker is deliberately crashing your router, as I had seen new wireless users bring my old router setup down on connection too. Oh, and using my new setup, I too use WPA-PSK and have no issues, it's a good choice, good enough for home use.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Also to mess with him if you let him on you can packetsniff everything that he sends through your network.... which means anything plain text pretty much IM conversations, some passwords, websites he vists, etc etc...

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon
    Also to mess with him if you let him on you can packetsniff everything that he sends through your network.... which means anything plain text pretty much IM conversations, some passwords, websites he vists, etc etc...
    a lot of those IM clients use encryptions when sending out information. I don't think you'll be able to read it just by looking at the packets. You're prob gonna have to decrypt them.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon
    a lot of those IM clients use encryptions when sending out information. I don't think you'll be able to read it just by looking at the packets. You're prob gonna have to decrypt them.
    Last time i tried watching my own packets nothing from AIM was encrytped at least (you can add encryption yes but by default its not) Yahoo i dont remember and i dont think MSN is, i think it just tags the text so you have wierd tags around what you send and what is recieved (but i could be wrong its been a while)