Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SMN buff formula(s)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

SMN buff formula(s)

Does anyone know what the formula(s) are for SMN buffs?

For example, I know that SS is calculated by:

X = ([Enhancing Magic Skill] / 3) + MND
    F is the the amount of damage reduced.
    F = X (if X < 80)
    F = X * 2 - 60 (if 80 <= X <= 130)
    F = X * 3 - 190 (if X > 130)
    Caps at 350 damage.

However, a SMN does not have enhancing skill naturally so I am wondering how Earthen Ward is calculated.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Chances are only level makes a difference (I would assume Earthen Ward at level 41 or whenever it comes out isn't the same strength as at 75) atm. SE has stated they want to make Summoning Magic Skill more meaningful and this is a theorized effect of doing that.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    Chances are only level makes a difference (I would assume Earthen Ward at level 41 or whenever it comes out isn't the same strength as at 75) atm. SE has stated they want to make Summoning Magic Skill more meaningful and this is a theorized effect of doing that.
    Yeah, only level is a factor, but I don't recall the exact number. It's basically Level * X, where X is something you can probably find easily on a cactuar.

One other tidbit about Earthen Ward is that its an awesome powerlevel tool under level 10. Unlike Enhancing Magic buffs, SMN buffs will stay up the same amount of time on a level 1 as a level 75. So just put up Earthen Ward on a level 1, and they'll be level 5 by the time it wears off.

Well, very nearly, anyway.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: SMN buff formula(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shalafi
    Does anyone know what the formula(s) are for SMN buffs?

For example, I know that SS is calculated by:

X = ([Enhancing Magic Skill] / 3) + MND
    F is the the amount of damage reduced.
    F = X (if X < 80)
    F = X * 2 - 60 (if 80 <= X <= 130)
    F = X * 3 - 190 (if X > 130)
    Caps at 350 damage.

However, a SMN does not have enhancing skill naturally so I am wondering how Earthen Ward is calculated.
    I've posted this in my Bloodpact Compilation, along with the formulas for the other Healing and Enhancing Bloodpacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Earthen Ward (Enhancing) LV: 46, MP: 92
    Gives Titan and party members within area of effect the effect of "Stoneskin".
    Damage Absorption Calculation: (Avatar Level x 2) + 50 HP.
    Duration: 15m00s.
    At level 75, Earthen Ward will cap at 200 damage absorption.
    Summoning skill has no effects on any Bloodpacts.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

nice...

now I just need a BRD and SMN to pl all my jobs >.> (BRD songs do the same)

Edit: Rats, too slow and I was off

I believe it is something like:

HP Absorbed = 75 + (Level * 3)

That would make level 75 = 300 HP absorbed, which seems pretty close.

Also, Earthern Ward no longer overwrites itself or Stoneskin. I'm pretty sure if somebody has a Stoneskin on with 1 HP left, and you try to use Earthern Ward on them it gives a "no effect" message. This was patched a while ago, but it's kind of annoying that you can't "overwrite" a weak/depleted stoneskin with a stronger one.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Faranim

Also, Earthern Ward no longer overwrites itself or Stoneskin. I'm pretty sure if somebody has a Stoneskin on with 1 HP left, and you try to use Earthern Ward on them it gives a "no effect" message. This was patched a while ago, but it's kind of annoying that you can't "overwrite" a weak/depleted stoneskin with a stronger one.
    There was a brief time when Earthen Ward wouldn't overwrite itself, but its fixed now.

Earthen Ward still won't overwrite Stoneskin, but it will refresh itself, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

There was a brief time when Earthen Ward wouldn't overwrite itself, but its fixed now.

Earthen Ward still won't overwrite Stoneskin, but it will refresh itself, at least.
    Overwriting stoneskin effects only resets the buff timer, you can't layer recast it in order to restore the damage shield (unless they changed this at some point too...) You need to click it off to get the full effect back. Go ahead and slap me if i'm wrong but for the longest time if I had damaged stoneskin it would wear quickly with the next hits even if I put it up again without clicking it off first.

If this is no longer the case, know when they changed it?

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tahngarthor
    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

Overwriting stoneskin effects only resets the buff timer, you can't layer recast it in order to restore the damage shield (unless they changed this at some point too...) You need to click it off to get the full effect back. Go ahead and slap me if i'm wrong but for the longest time if I had damaged stoneskin it would wear quickly with the next hits even if I put it up again without clicking it off first.

If this is know longer the case, know when they changed it?
    can i just slap you for claustraum instead

You've got freedoms, do whatever u want. I'd like the answer though.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Feel free to do some testing.

Earthen Ward will overwrite itself, but not white magic Stoneskin (which can't overwrite itself either). I'm fairly confident that because it overwrites itself, it also resets the damage absorption.

If you're experiencing it wearing quickly, its probably because the damage absorption cap is pretty low to begin with.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tahngarthor
    You've got freedoms, do whatever u want. I'd like the answer though.
    whats the catch

I would have to disagree with that math; from my experience my EW absorbs more dmg than SS, but my WHM or RDM is not that high so I do not have full knowledge there.

Jeryhn/others, can you state your source?

EW will not overwrite SS but it will overwrite itself, however I do not know if it resets the damage taken.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

From my experience my EW absorbs more dmg than SS, but my WHM or RDM is not that high so I do not have full knowledge there.
    I was thinking our SMN's watching Fafnir (wings) estimated it was around 2/3 of a full stoneskin, or 200ish

As a SMN/WHM, I think that EW would provide more protection than SS.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Shalafi
    I would have to disagree with that math; from my experience my EW absorbs more dmg than SS, but my WHM or RDM is not that high so I do not have full knowledge there.

Jeryhn/others, can you state your source?

EW will not overwrite SS but it will overwrite itself, however I do not know if it resets the damage taken.
    I am my source. Tested it on cactuars with Titan.
    On 1000 Needles, Titan takes 250 damage (normal avatar half damage), I take 300, with no others in range.

You can test out the formula by summoning a lower level avatar. You can do this by entering a level capped area (RiverneB01 is good, as is level 60 cap Pso'Xja), summoning Titan inside, exit, and then have a WHM port you to Altep. Sic Titan on the lower level Sabotenders here and get in range of 1000 Needles.

Due to limited Enhancing skill, a SMN/WHM with capped enhancing casting white magic Stoneskin will only absorb around 120-130 damage, and while the damage absorption is lower than Earthen Ward, Earthen Ward will still not overwrite it. On my RDM, I hit 350 rather easily at 256 enhancing skill + normal MND gear.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Yeah stoneskin is gimp subbed lol. EW gives more to me as a BRD/WHM then my SS can. WHM or RDM main though with MND gear has stronger SS than EW can provide.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    From my experience my EW absorbs more dmg than SS, but my WHM or RDM is not that high so I do not have full knowledge there.
    I was thinking our SMN's watching Fafnir (wings) estimated it was around 2/3 of a full stoneskin, or 200ish

As a SMN/WHM, I think that EW would provide more protection than SS.
    On Fafnir with Shell 2 on, I take about 180-ish damage from Hurricane Wing. When I use Earthen Ward, I can completely reduce the damage on a wing to zero (and take almost full damage from the next Wing if I don't refresh Stoneskin).

Nidhogg is out of the question though. Nid's Wing easily breaks down a fresh Earthen Ward and hits me with a leftover 50-70 damage with Shell 2.

after doing the math and not knowing my +mnd I think I will have to agree.

thanks for the help all.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

funny story... we have a smn on fairy that swears up and down summoning skill affects earthen ward

a bunch of us all told him how retarded he was, but he insisted on making one of us stay with him and test the duration with his capped skill...
    my friend humoured him and decided to stay...biggest waste of 15min ever... also biggest waste of a bahamuts staff which makes me cry

i could go on and on about him but i'll just save you all the headache

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by safer
    funny story... we have a smn on fairy that swears up and down summoning skill affects earthen ward

a bunch of us all told him how retarded he was, but he insisted on making one of us stay with him and test the duration with his capped skill...
    my friend humoured him and decided to stay...biggest waste of 15min ever... also biggest waste of a bahamuts staff which makes me cry

i could go on and on about him but i'll just save you all the headache
    lefag