+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Performance lowering.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Performance lowering.

So, I've been delving back into teh olde abandonware games.
    I'm talking olde olde, stuff mah 486 (hell, even my 286 in some cases) could run smoothly: Doom 1/2/Plutonia, OMF2097, Whacky Wheels, Solar Winds, Jazz Jackrabbit, Duke Nukem 1/2,... teh nostalgia is strong in this one.

Predictably, trying to run those on newer machines yields speed issues, namely: they play way too fast.
    On my previous rig (now pretty old as well, Athlon 2000+), I could toy with Dosbox's Frameskip setting and slow games down to suitable levels; on the new one (i5-2500k), it's far from sufficient.

Any other means, short of underclocking?
    I've tried an app simply called "Slowdown", didn't do anything (mebbe it doesn't work in Dosbox... but since it's 32-bit ONRY it won't work without either).

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This is built into dosbox.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

DOS-BOX? Mash Ctrl-F11 a few times. You want to lower the emulated # of cycles, not skip frames.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Yeah, that's what I meant by "far from enough": lowering CPU cycles. Tired, misspoke. Indeed, frameskips could only speed up, not slow down .

Edit: actually, nevermind. You can set a fixed number of CPU cycles in Dosbox's configuration file, that works. It worked on %ages by default and even 1% was too high.