Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Merit's for warrior     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Merit's for warrior

Finally got my lazy ass to 75 last night after being 74 for over a month, and looking at the merit options I have... wow, can't decide which ones to raise.

The ones which caught my attention immediately were Double Attack Rate, STR, Critical Hit Rate, and also the reduced timer on Aggressor/Berserk.

Not related to warrior directly, but if I raise something in the "Warrior" category will the boosts still go into effect when I am subbing WAR? I plan on leveling my monk up after I fool around with merits.

So could any WAR help me out here?

I think the most important thing for melee job is weapon skill (aka Axe and Gaxe skill), doing that boost your accuracy and attack power, you should probably look into raising that before moving on, also look into crit merits, I hear they rock.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Re: Merit's for warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Orfeo
    The ones which caught my attention immediately were Double Attack Rate, STR, Critical Hit Rate, and also the reduced timer on Aggressor/Berserk.
    Axe, Great Axe Skill should be priority, Critical Hit Rate+ is good. STR costs too much to make a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Orfeo
    Not related to warrior directly, but if I raise something in the "Warrior" category will the boosts still go into effect when I am subbing WAR? I plan on leveling my monk up after I fool around with merits.
    job specific merits only work on the main job at Lv 75.

Axe / Great axe skill should be #1 as they said

Critical hit rate is good, I think double attack rate is over rated unless you max it but i'd rather have crit maxed.

If you're very active in HNM i'd suggest going Vit merits over Str merrits due to steelcyclone needing str/vit as having them evened out as much as possible is the best thing to do as you can do major damage HNM even the new dragons.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ask Kuniva in game... he has i think 50ish merits so far into Warrior

Most important is capping crits, the effect is amazing. Past that it really depends on what you want to build for. Try to stay consistent, within your role.

I usually tank using sword/shield. WAR EVA is crap and wearing tank oriented gear you don't get acc bonuses from gear. Also I use multihit weapons (Joyeuse before, Ridill as of two days ago ^^;;;;; ).

With all that in mind I capped crits and enmity, and am working on capping sword and Aggressor. I also have Cassie Earring and 5 MP merits to convert to HP. Past that I dunno what I'll do, probably VIT at some point if I can stomach the costs.

There's lots of ways you can do it, other WAR in my LS builds a bit differently (capped double attack instead of Aggressor, axe instead of sword, doesn't use multihit weapons, etc). Just look at how you play overall and build around there, part of what makes WAR nice is there isn't one right way to do it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Careful about putting merits in things like Enimity if you plan on leveling a Mage job, ie to sub for MNK, might want to wait till your done. Nothing quite says hate loss like +3 Enimity on a WHM, RDM, BLM.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Nermal
    Careful about putting merits in things like Enimity if you plan on leveling a Mage job, ie to sub for MNK, might want to wait till your done. Nothing quite says hate loss like +3 Enimity on a WHM, RDM, BLM.
    I think that is the worst part about merits, they can lock you out of different types of jobs forever.

I maxed crit, cuz that's good for just about any job.

I'm maxing double attack (4/5) because that's good for any role a warrior would play in a party. Taking off the Berserk or Agressor timers could be useful, except that this assumes you are playing a specific role in a party (ie. DD...faster Berserk recast means squat if you are having to tank for whatever reason).

Besides...with double attack + af boots or af2 legs you really notice it...a lot.

As far as stats, I haven't bothered yet. Takes too much time, and I'm busy levelling up other jobs. But when I do, I'll probably focus on strength since that will apply to a great variety of DD jobs.

Playing my RDM is amusing. Cure IV is like Thundaga III basically. :X I've pulled hate with resisted enfeebles, which never happened before I exp'd WAR and merited hate. The merit descriptions lie, like when it says capped crit is 3%, it's really about 10%, capped enmity is really more like 8 rather than 3, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I think that is the worst part about merits, they can lock you out of different types of jobs forever.
    I'd really like to take RNG all the way up but I got it to 36 and like...yeah...I tank. That works OK at 36 but further I get, the less fun that's going to be. My RDM can survive having hate but I couldn't take WHM or BLM up, if I want to really level something else, with my merits as they are only NIN or PLD makes sense, and I already tank on WAR, so...why?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire
    Playing my RDM is amusing. Cure IV is like Thundaga III basically. :X I've pulled hate with resisted enfeebles, which never happened before I exp'd WAR and merited hate. The merit descriptions lie, like when it says capped crit is 3%, it's really about 10%, capped enmity is really more like 8 rather than 3, etc.
    I've heard that, I never really got a great chance to play around with merits before RL claimed for dead. Anyways one of the more amusing things I did do was get myself merit points for Marksmanship as a DRK, which allowed me to use Slug Shot 1 level before other RNGs, nothing makes a RNG the same level as you more jealous of seeing you Slug Shot and they can do nothing cause there Marksmanship was capped to low.