BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jailer of Hope Strategy?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Jailer of Hope Strategy?

Did a search but couldn't find anything pertinent...my LS has just recently started doing Sea(we did our first ever Jailer last night, took like 3 hours to get Temperance to pop )

We're going to attempt JoH soon, but we honestly don't know much about it, most of us are relatively Sea noobs, the only real experience I have is low-manning Ix'mnks and farming trigs.

Can anyone offer some solid strategy advice for JoH, like minimum # of people needed, things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Re: Jailer of Hope Strategy?

Hope is fairly easily done with 12 people (can start lowering that as you get more comfortable).

OurTank Party:

NIN/WAR(DRK)
    NIN/WAR(DRK)
    RDM/WHM
    BRD/WHM
    WHM/?
    WHM/?

DD Party -- We liked to mainly use BLMs

NIN/WAR vs NIN/DRK is something others can debate on this issue, but iirc Hope is completely resistant to Stun so it takes a good part of /DRK away (I know you still get some hate). I have seen other shells use 2 PLD/NINs too.

Sometimes when we had more we did have some Melee DDs on him too, but you have to watch carefully to constantly Dispel his Shock Spikes, they do fairly massive damage. He does Thundaga III but it isn't terribly strong, we had ninjas that liked to use resist gear for it.

After that, its pretty much straight forward.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

He's pretty easy think Gration but doesn't have as much MAB and can't be kited. He has all the regular TP moves of a Phuabo and near instant cast Thunder spells including Thundaga. Naturally he can't be stunned so your tanks (and DDs) have to eat Thundaga. Don't worry too much his Thundaga isn't disgusting it's fairly manageable with Shellra V. It's good idea to have a decent HP level when tanking him in case the odd single hit nuke gets through. He can be easily DD tanked though since he hits fairly slowly. We usually have 1-2 Sam/Thfs to SATA on tanks just because it does chew through HP fast especially if you have a few melees on it so fairly taxing hate wise on your healers.

I'd recommend at having 2 Blink tanks Nin, War, and/or Pld Brd, Whm, Rdm, an extra heal, 2 nukers, and a few DDs for your first fight. Obviously you can do it with less but that'd be what I'd say is a fairly safe set up for a decently competent group. He hits hard and can use mighty strikes multiple times but the is inconsequential if your tanks are competent and supported well. +Thunder resist set and AoE Stone Skins might be a good way to mitigate the damage of Thundaga but I've never really seen a need.

Pretty sure it only likes to cast when Shock Spikes are up, so when it puts those up you will know when to watch for the near instant cast thundaga IIIs and burst IIs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Pretty sure it only likes to cast when Shock Spikes are up, so when it puts those up you will know when to watch for the near instant cast thundaga IIIs and burst IIs.
    That would explain why a lot of Hope seem really easy when I had BRDs and RDMs I trusted and someone the opposite when I didn't. Hmm, I'll have to check into that more, thank you.

Well I'm not 100% sure if it will only cast is spikes are up, but I do know using that TP move is a signal that it will start casting.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Dispelling the spikes doesn't stop him from casting it just signals the nukes are otw.

Yeah, thats what I always thought, just wasn't 100% sure.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

You can kite him just fine (my former ls still use this strat, and though they prefer movement speed+ kiters, I have kited him successfully with no movement speed whatsoever). Though if you find NIN tanks work better for you, then go for it. Try out and see what works best for your ls.

Blackice

We use purely BLM dmg, so tank PT + 10-12 BLMs. Dies in 2-3 mins tops.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

He's really not that difficult, 12 can handle him just fine. Have someone on the button with Erase for the Defense Down, as well as everyone bring Echo Drops for the Silence. Barthunder is important for the Thundagas and Bursts. Have BLM use Stone and Ice, and face it away from mages, since it likes to spam frontal TP moves. It's pretty much just a shark that uses magic.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

He's really easy to meleeburn if you have smart DDs. Bring any kind of tank you want (PLD/WAR, PLD/NIN, NIN/whatever, RDM/NIN) and just use SAM/THF to SATA between them. Have all of your non-SAM melee go /SAM to avoid Aerial Collision. To give a hint of how easy he is - I opened the fight as DRK/SAM with a 198x 300% Ground Strike and tanked it from 100% - 0% without losing hate or dying once, all you need is Third Eye to avoid collision and a WHM to use Cure V after spells go off. It should die in two minutes or less.

Alternatively, if you don't have enough support to just burn through it real fast like, just bring two PLD/NINs , NIN/DRKs, or RDM/NINs and make them ping-pong tank him. Use BLMs or RNGs as DDs and make sure they either have /NIN for when they pull hate or don't pull hate at all. He's the easiest Jailer, and with two good ping-pong tanks you can 6-man him easily.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

I like Hope because he's so easy. ^^

Prudence needs a fucking smackdown, though. -.- That bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lujei
    Have BLM use Stone and Ice, and face it away from mages, since it likes to spam frontal TP moves. It's pretty much just a shark that uses magic.
    I just thought I should point out that Thunder spells work perfectly fine on Hope. It's natural, particularly after sky, to think of mobs as being "element-based" but that doesn't really hold true for a lot of stuff CoP and beyond. Hope isn't "thunder-based" nor Faith "earth-based" in the sense that they have any significantly increased resistance or damage cut to thunder spells, although JoL does take reduced damage from it just due to Yovra family traits.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Hope can be killed with 6-7, just gonna take a while. I prefer bringing 2pld/nin over nin/war because they tend to get one shotted less often, not that a good nin wouldn't be able to tank it fine. I've seen some nasty thundaga+ws take out nin quickly, but it can be avoided.
    Tank pt: pld/pld/whm/rdm/brd + anything you want. Preferably a corsair, smn, or any support job. Obviously, you will keep barthunder on tank, and any other defensive buff you have. Your tank party should never run out of mp or lose tank with such setup, unless someone really suck. As long tank make it face a direction where no one is, and mage stay out of silence aoe, everything should be fine.

Second party: Blm preferably, because they can do decent dmg, give little tp and can easily avoid taking damage, but melee are fine if you have additional healer. Just make sure they dont get themselves killed melee'ing with low hp. Blm should stand away from other mage in case they pull hate.

There really isn't nothing special about it. Just your average strong mobs, with silence aoe (avoidable easily..15 radius or something), and a few thunder spell including thundaga III. Make sure everyone have reraise in case something horrible happen. You can technically bio kill everything in sea beside Jol/AV, so even if you wipe, just have your blm recast bio 2 every 1min30 (whm can raise 3 him between death to minimize xp loss). That way, it won't regen, take 1% damage per minutes and can be kept up forever 2400xp to keep it up 15min isnt too bad. There is no excuse to ever lost a popped NM

Prudence needs a fucking smackdown, though. -.- That bitch.
    Just need to learn how to separate both prudence. Could probably be done with 4-5 blm and 1 thief. 3 people if you push it. Least I've done it with is 8, and the kill was done without any death in something like 15min.

To separate them, make sure everyone is far from the thief (disbanding isnt a bad idea, but they will both pop claimed to the person who is trading item). Basically, have your thief pop both mobs with perfect dodge on, and send someone else grab the 2nd prudence off him. Make sure to not give any tp to this 2nd NM until the thief is far away to not activate the teleport behavior. After that, kite it around the nearest tree (the one in water south of spawn point) and have your BLM nuke it. Every nukes take around 4%, so it should die pretty fast if you have 4-5 blm

While your alliance fight, the thief run all the way to the 2nd nearest tree, in front of the mission tower (the one on east side 1min away from spawn point) where he can hold it forever running in circle. Prudence is still deadly, so you might want to send a 2nd kiter (can be any jobs, I've done it on blm/nin a few time) with the thief to get back hate in case he die. However, dont try trading hate or deal damage, to prevent Prudence's flee/teleport activation.

Have every BLM sub NIN (bolded because there is still some retarded blm who /rdm all the time), because it's the only way to counter the 3x250damage triple attack without dying or losing a lot of hp.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    Have BLM use Stone and Ice, and face it away from mages, since it likes to spam frontal TP moves. It's pretty much just a shark that uses magic.
    I just thought I should point out that Thunder spells work perfectly fine on Hope. It's natural, particularly after sky, to think of mobs as being "element-based" but that doesn't really hold true for a lot of stuff CoP and beyond. Hope isn't "thunder-based" nor Faith "earth-based" in the sense that they have any significantly increased resistance or damage cut to thunder spells, although JoL does take reduced damage from it just due to Yovra family traits.
    My mistake. I'm not a BLM so I'm just going off what we tell our BLM to do during the battle.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

We popped him on Saturday night, attempted to straight tank him and place SATA hate (sorta like a Byakko fight) and all went well and we took it to 60% in probably less than 5 minutes. But then he plasma charged, Thundaga 3'd us about 4 times in a row...

We almost full wiped, but ended up sac pulling it until we recovered. Got 2 more tanks for a total of 4 and rotated tanks as they died to Plasma Charge -> insta-cast. This worked great by limiting his TP and we would Shadowbind (only 1 Ranger) or semi-kite him when he plasma charged until the insta-spells wore which seemed to be about a minute or so. The fight went very smoothly like this and we ended up winning and got a full drop for all our troubles, but I was curious how others take him down. This answers some of my questions. But, as a NIN/WAR tanking him in about +35 enmity and a lot of -dmg reduction gear it can be done, but you'll be blood tanking a lot of the fight because he is very accurate and hits very fast. Good news is he was only hitting me for about ~150 most of the time. With the multiple tank method, this fight was very easy. Guess everyone learns as they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    Ya, iirc you can even land earth spells on Faith np. It's been a while though.