+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Rains     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

The Rains

Anyone know how to get the rains again in Giza Plains? I can't figure it out and need the item gil snapper drops for the Jar...

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Just keep zoning in and out from Giza. Eventually it will start raining.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Time. Just wait it out... if you want minute-by-minute updates talk to the blue bangaa pacing around the chocobo stables by the South Gate in Rabanastre. I think his name is Weather Eye.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Been zoning for 20 minutes now. Guy still says in the middle of the dry. I even ran down to ozmone and westersand. Ozmone clouded over for a few times but nothing in Giza ><

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

lolgamefaqs, but I saw posted in a thread there that the weather changes every 2 hours. May be coincidence, but whenever I need to get to the Rains and it isn't I save and turn off the PS2 for a while and come back and it's right, so maybe it toggles on startup?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Is this the same method you use to get Sandstorms in the Westersand? I'm trying to pop Gnoma Entite for the last piece of Ultima Weapon and I just can't get a sandstorm to happen.. tried zoning for 30 mins, then did some other stuff for like an hour then came back and I still can't get a sandstorm. ><

I did beat the Earth Tyrant optional boss... does this stop all sandstorms in westersand or something? :/

Old Merits
    BG Level

I believe somebody posted in another thread they were able to get sandstorms even in the area where the Tyrant was, it just took a while.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Well, just spent another hour and a half trying to get a sandstorm to no avail. It's either clear weather or cloudy weather, never sandstorms. I've tried zoning from Rabanastre, zoning from Zertinan, going a couple zones into Rabanastre before coming out, teleporting away and teleporting back...

Unless I'm just missing something it seems like beating the Earth Tyrant stops all sandstorms in Westersand, thus making Gnoma Entite un-spawnable. NPCs in Rabanastre even say things to the effect that the sandstorms have stopped.

So best advice I can give is just don't fight that optional boss... kinda stupid that it's set up that way, penalizing you for completing a sidequest and optional boss. >_>

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Apparently the dry season lasts 2 hours and the rainy season lasts 1 hour, based on the running game clock. So you can either subtract out all the 3 hour cycles and figure when the rains are coming back, or you can come back every hour your playclock dings and it won't take many checks.

I have the same problem, but with rains. What some people said when I posed the question was that it depends on your playtime. Early in the game it's fixed on dry, later it's fixed on rain, then even later it will start alternating. Where are you in the game?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Well it's stuck in the Dry early in the game to keep you from going to Ozmone Plains too early, then after the events in the Tomb of Raithwall it switches over to the Rains I think. I -believe- I noticed it alternating after the Henne Mines, but I hadn't returned to Rabanastre in a while so it may be before then (after all, once the Rains come the first time the trees blocking the path to Ozmone go away).

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

how do you pop this damn Gil Snapper? im in the beast are you get to from cutting the trees down and its the rains in giza and its even raining. i have that seeq following me but i dont see the gil snapper anywhere, theres just like 4 silicon turtles around.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

has to be heavy rains... just keep zoning back and forth into the zone till the seeq says something to you

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Just as a heads up for Gil Snapper, zoning while simply holding the analog stick down is fine. The Seeq will talk to you (dialog box, requiring X to continue) when Gil Snapper is up, so you don't have to worry about zoning out accidentally.

Figuring this out made it much easier to pop.

Hope that helps.

ps. disablega sucks!

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

yea i popped it right after i made my post lol. had to zone like 6 times.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Want a nifty weather report from ANY zone? Check your map.

Now, I'm not referring to the "World Map" since that will force you to choose which map you want to see, Dry or Rains, but if you manually navigate to Giza via the blue arrows from your current position, you'll notice the Giza map convieniently shows the current conditions.

I discovered this little trick while helping a friend find the last tree over Ventrillo. I went to check my map to tell him the name of the zone that doesn't contain a tree, and I have a habit of manually navigating places rather than opening my menu for the worl map. I find it faster. When I got to Giza, I immediately notied the map was for the Rains while I was over in Nabreus next to the teleport crystal.

So, I quickly warped to Rabanastre, ran into Giza, and got ... the Dry. I quickly opened my map, and it too changed to the Dry. I had just missed the changeover and haven't got the Rains in quite some time since.

To get the weather to change in Giza plains is pretty simple, i usually waste a teleport sphere to do it. Just go anywhere else, and come back. 90% of the time i'd say, it works. *This based off of doing it around 10 times* but it does work. one time it didnt work, but that's because i think i teleported back to exactly where i was.... lol. So probably 100% sure it changes it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeks
    Apparently the dry season lasts 2 hours and the rainy season lasts 1 hour, based on the running game clock. So you can either subtract out all the 3 hour cycles and figure when the rains are coming back, or you can come back every hour your playclock dings and it won't take many checks.
    I wouldn't doubt that this is the case except to note that The Rains don't even appear until you've reached the point in the story where you head to the Garif village, at which point The Rains lasts until you've progressed up to a certain point in the story (not sure how far).