+ Reply to Thread
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/1/4684...e-shipbreakers

https://blackbirdinteractive.com/store/

Basically, the folks who made Homeworld 1 and 2 wanted to make another Homeworld-esque game but THQ held the IP, so they started making Hardware: Shipbreakers. Fast forward, THQ shits the bed, Gearbox acquires the Homeworld IP, and lets Blackbird Interactive not only call their Homeworld game Homeworld, but shovels some money their way to make it better.

AND Gearbox is going to re-release Homeworld 1 and 2 and HD versions of them.

Maybe this will make up for Colonial Marines.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

HELL FUCKING YES

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

this is amazing news. I've been wanting to replay homeworld recently, such a fantastic game. I hope they fix 2 and make it playable/fun.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Small update on this title from today's Homeworld Collection press release
    In addition to re-releasing Homeworld and Homeworld 2 in both Classic and Remastered form, Gearbox Software has paired with Blackbird Interactive – a studio founded by Homeworld veterans Rob Cunningham and Aaron Kambeitz – to create an all-new entry in the Homeworld series for PC. Titled “Homeworld Shipbreakers,” the upcoming strategy game takes place before the events of the first Homeworld and serves as a prequel to the series. More information on Shipbreakers will be announced as development progresses.

"It is a very special and rare thing to see a project so close to your heart not only get re-released, but remastered with such loving care and attention,” said Rob Cunningham, who co-founded Relic Entertainment and served as the original art director of Homeworld . He later co-founded Blackbird Interactive, which is developing Homeworld Shipbreakers. “That fact alone is a wonderful privilege for me, but it is beyond rare to be working on an all-new entry as well! I have been sucked into a bubbling time-vortex hot tub of Homeworld – and I love it."

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

So excited. It's up on Steam, now, and will be available on Feb. 25th.

Edit: To be clear, I am referring to the Homeworld Remastered Edition. Shipbreakers will be a while yet, I think.

Also:
    Access to the Homeworld Remastered Steam Multiplayer Beta: play Homeworld races against Homeworld 2 races with up to eight players on 23 maps, plus brand new game modes

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Official title: Deserts of Kharak, RTS, Coming to PC January 20th 2016
    Before you can find your Homeworld, you must first unlock the secrets of the desert.

Blackbird Interactive and Gearbox Software invite you to visit the deserts of Kharak in this new Homeworld story, where danger lurks behind every dune. Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is set for release on January 20th on Windows PC.

The planet is dying, but deep in the southern sands of Kharak, an anomaly has been discovered. Could Kharak’s salvation lie in the desert? Led by chief science officer Rachel S’jet, the Coalition of the Northern Kiithid sends an expedition deep within enemy-controlled territory to investigate the finding, which could forever alter the fate of humanity.

“When we signed this project in front of the crowd at the 2013 PAX Dev, Randy [Pitchford] spoke about Gearbox's commitment to quality entertainment and taking risks, and they have fully delivered on that message,” said Rob Cunningham, chief executive officer of Blackbird Interactive. “All of us at Blackbird are super proud of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and we owe it to the outstanding team at Gearbox. Words fail to describe how exciting it is to be releasing a new Homeworld game, deepening the story for both existing fans and a new audience alike."

“After more than a decade-long hiatus for Homeworld, it is an immense honor in the last year to launch two new entries in the Homeworld franchise: an incredible, critically acclaimed remastering of the original Homeworld games and now the all-new, ground-based, real-time-strategy game called Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak,” said Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. “This revival of Homeworld is possible not merely because of commitment within my studio at Gearbox Software, but is due to Rob and his crew at Blackbird, along with other key members of the original Homeworld team, who have come together to deliver a modern spin on the ground-based roots of the strategy genre with an epic story that takes us back to where the Homeworld saga began.”

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Features

• Experience an Origin Story - Join Rachel S’jet as she leads an expedition to find salvation across an exciting campaign in this prequel from some of the original creators of Homeworld and Homeworld 2.

• Heavy-dutty Hardware - Take control of fleets occupying both land and air – from nimble light attack vehicles to massive heavyweight cruisers — and harness the abilities of your forces to conquer the desert.

• Massive Environments - Fight your way across dune seas, deep craters, and the vast, hostile canyons of Kharak. In order to succeed, your style of play will have to adapt and change to meet new environments and new challenges.

• Tactical Combat - Position your fleet to take advantage of the high ground or create ambushes across dune lines in terrestrial combat. Attack your enemies’ resource operations or assault their military head-on.

• Strategic Decisions - Meaningful choices in resource management, fleet composition, and technology research will directly impact your chances of survival.

• Online Multiplayer - Compete solo or with friends to achieve a variety of win conditions. Rise through the ranks to become the most powerful Fleet Captain on Kharak in competitive play.
    http://desertsofkharak.com/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/281610/ $49.99 includes Homeworld Remastered Collection ($34.99 value)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

FUCKING GET HYPE BITCHES

HYPERSPACE CORE ONLINE

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i finally got around to playing this game; after all the hype i ended up putting it on the backburner.

it was okay. the gameplay is fine, though there's a few annoying bits. very much feels like a homeworld game, which is good. but the story is REALLY short. probably do-able in a single day. and it doesn't really add too much to the Homeworld story. We already knew the expedition was successful, and they didn't really add much in the way of "here's why X is a thing" or anything fun like that.

i think this game would be better as the actual first entry in the series. if you don't know what's coming, i think the story will feel cooler. but as a prequel... meh.