BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Level Paladin or Blue Mage?

-PLD is 61, BLU 30
    -Money isn't an issue
    -Subs are no issue.

This has been killing me really. I just don't know what to decide. They can both wear homam (I think that is the most awesome coolest looking armor in the game and I've wanted to have it ever since I started), solo, etc. I don't know how I would decide between the two.. maybe difficulty? Anyway, anything to help my decision would be appreciated.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Re: Level Paladin or Blue Mage?

Take both to 75. I'd go pld first to 75 as a tank is more wanted for limbus groups then a blu. Also some groups prefer to gear up tanks before melee as it helps the whole group. Also as a pld they sometimes get put on a priority for homam (specificly hands/legs) over some other jobs based on the limbus group. The experience of pld will also help you in figuring out how hate will work with blu. Also as seeing how your a 60 pld its a lot closer to 75 then blu and blu can be leveled up solo, partys, campaign while pld only has campaign and partys.

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

If you have sea already, and have a TON of patience (you will occasionally go 0/50+ on spells), you may wish to level blue mage first; other melees can help pick up your slack while you're learning. However, by the time you hit 70, you want (or even need) sea access, because a lot of spells come from sea mobs. If you don't have sea, you'll want to consider paladin first -- but, if this is your first job to 75, don't rush it. Take it slow, take time to go out and solo (and leave yourself room to lose XP from death) and learn the job. Or don't! Just that I feel that's the best way to learn...not necessarily every job, but a major category of jobs. TW mobs, EM, DC NMs, even some T stuff, will all help you learn your tools and your job when all you have between the mob and your grisly death is you.

tl;dr version: Patient and have sea access? Blue mage. Neither? Paladin.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you don't have any 75 jobs yet, do PLD. It'll also get parties hell of a lot faster than BLU and as you don't have to spend time getting the spells you'll get 75 a lot faster. Also, if you don't have any 75 jobs yet I doubt you have a linkshell capable of helping you out with all the BLU spells either. Many of them just aren't soloable- especially to get at the level you can start using them.

It varies depending on limbus groups but if Homam is a major goal for you and all you want in the game then the sooner you can start attending runs and building up attendance/points or however the group works, the better. Another reason to get PLD to 75 fast. Then you can eventually ding your BLU into some Homam. Again, pending on group, but PLD usually gets prio or at least high priority on hands/legs of Homam set. BLU rarely gets prio on any of the pieces except head but that's pretty much freelot anyway.