BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Star Ocean The Divine Force (PC/PS5/XSX/PS4/XB1) - October 27, 2022

Did not expect to see that during State of Play and must say it doesn't look very appealing at the moment... Remembering the last SO game has me very sceptical

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

LET'S GO! This feels very Ys this time.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

SQUARE ENIX® announced today that STAR OCEAN® THE DIVINE FORCE™, an all-new entry in the beloved action-RPG series, is coming to the PlayStation®5 (PS5™) system, the PlayStation®4 console, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and STEAM® in 2022. Developed by tri-Ace Inc., STAR OCEAN THE DIVINE FORCE will transport players to an expansive sci-fi fantasy world and take them on an exhilarating journey with fast-paced action combat, rich exploration and an original story. With STAR OCEAN celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, THE DIVINE FORCE builds on that rich history with new features that are sure to delight for many years to come.

The Debut Trailer showcases various new and returning elements to the STAR OCEAN franchise that players can look forward to:
    • Super-high-speed action battles
    • No random encounters – players will seamlessly enter battles with enemies that populate the world
    • Players can float in the air, dive at enemies and fly around areas
    • Richer exploration – climb towering mountains, venture into dark, vast valleys and investigate the castles and towns present in the world

Showcasing a diverse cast of playable characters, STAR OCEAN THE DIVINE FORCE will tell a gripping story that seamlessly melds science fiction and fantasy elements and can be enjoyed by newcomers to the series and veterans alike. The game features dual protagonists, which offer different story perspectives and gameplay experiences: Raymond, the captain of the space trading ship, Ydas, and Laeticia, the princess-knight of a kingdom on an underdeveloped planet. Fate will bring Raymond, Laeticia, and several other ally characters together, all designed by renowned artist Akiman (STAR OCEAN: Integrity and Faithlessness, STREET FIGHTER series).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Press release notes that it is also coming to PC, via Steam, & Xbox One/Series X.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Dual protag like 2, higher tech dealing with lower tech like 4. Looks a little rough around the edges and dont understand how (or why, really) Dudebro McBrosef can just fly around like that, but doesn't look horrible. Just hope it doesn't become some Genshin gacha type console stuff.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

ANOTHER SO?!??!?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Dudebro McBrosef in the last minutes of that trailer sounds even edgier than EDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE MAVERICK

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Dudebro McBrosef in the last minutes of that trailer sounds even edgier than EDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE MAVERICK
    Yeah. It's like they couldnt get out of their own way with the title or protag design. Girl protag feels more like Rena (and is honestly not over designed).

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Yeah. It's like they couldnt get out of their own way with the title or protag design. Girl protag feels more like Rena (and is honestly not over designed).
    Her gameplay looks better too

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Dudebro was the worst part of the trailer, which is really too bad given that he'll obviously be a big part of the game. Can't understand how the other male characters look mostly fine but somehow the MC's face is just completely fucked, and sounds even edgier than Edge, the edgelord.

I'm hopeful it's not shit, but I'm definitely going to be waiting a while to pick it up if I do at all.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

His design looks a bit like..Victor, I think, from SO5? Only more dudebro.

Until we get his name I think it is acceptable for us to refer to him as Dudebro McBrosef.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Doesn’t the synopsis posted above say his name is Raymond? :3

Not a fan of this art style. It's like trying to be anime and look realistic. Gives me the same feeling I had when playing SO The Last Hope, but I'll probably still pick it up when it goes on sale or something.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Environments trailer
    Oh man, an environments feature, that brings me back.

You guys remember when Motomu Toriyama tried to explain that the reason FF13 was so god damned linear and lacked conventional towns was because they were "too difficult and time consuming" to create in HD graphics, while Blue Dragon, SO4, Lost Odyssey, and Tales of Vesperia had all already released on exactly the same hardware in the years prior and were loaded with HD rendered towns/cities/kingdoms/planets/etc?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Drai View Post
    Doesn’t the synopsis posted above say his name is Raymond? :3
    The japanese -> english translation is obviously Dudebro McBrosef. I watched a LOT of anime in high school, I know what im talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroTsuki View Post
    Not a fan of this art style. It's like trying to be anime and look realistic. Gives me the same feeling I had when playing SO The Last Hope, but I'll probably still pick it up when it goes on sale or something.
    You know, thats exactly it. It looks like it combined the much better looking artwork option in Last Hope with the clearly worse "realistic" renders.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    The japanese -> english translation is obviously Dudebro McBrosef. I watched a LOT of anime in high school, I know what im talking about.

You know, thats exactly it. It looks like it combined the much better looking artwork option in Last Hope with the clearly worse "realistic" renders.
    Same, that and my handful of years of taking Japanese in college seconds Kirin's point.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by KuroTsuki View Post
    Just never works, but eh, it is what it is. SO franchise has more to worry about than looks.

dudebro definitely looks like he's going to be a chore to tolerate, but I'm otherwise optimistic! I don't know why considering I haven't fully enjoyed an entry since SO2, but at least the combat is consistently fun, and that looks good here to me as well

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Just never works, but eh, it is what it is. SO franchise has more to worry about than looks.
    Tales of Arise went the "more realistic Anime" vibe and did it quite well, so it can be done. Just, not in this instance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag