Thread: New DS Coming This Year     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

New DS Coming This Year

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/09...-camera-music/

The new model, yet to be named, will feature a camera and music player,
    Nintendo is planning on officially announcing this new product on Thursday at a press conference in Tokyo

Xavier

Its as if 77 million people just screamed out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I read somewhere about the redesign and figured it wouldnt happen for a while, but TGS is the biggest JP show, Im excited about TGS this year, lots of new stuff being shown including moster hunter 3 ;x.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Sounds kinda cool, but not something I'd be in a rush to upgrade to, honestly. The "central station" thing referenced in the article sounds more like a Japan-onry thing, and while a camera and music player may make it a better all-in-one device, I don't really see them doing much for the gaming capabilities.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

i honestly think they should start working on the next gameboy and stop milking the DS. Although it has made them alot of money, it is quite old now. Then again, nothing stops them from making more money off the DS and make a new gameboy i suppose, just that theres been no announcements on such a project so i assume it doesnt exist yet.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Viserdes View Post
    i honestly think they should start working on the next gameboy and stop milking the DS. Although it has made them alot of money, it is quite old now. Then again, nothing stops them from making more money off the DS and make a new gameboy i suppose, just that theres been no announcements on such a project so i assume it doesnt exist yet.
    I'm sure they're working on something, but the DS is holding up very well. I absolutely love mine, and I'm not really sure I feel the need for "more" from it as a system, just more games. I don't know what they can really add to it to make it worth a totally revolutionary jump, as opposed to the evolutionary one of adding a camera and MP3 playback.

Then again, I said that before the DS was released, and it blew away expectations. They'll come up with something, and when they do, they'll release a next-gen Gameboy.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Maybe a system with more graphical capabilities.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I'll believe this when I see something official. So many rumors on the internet it's hard to take anything seriously. It sounds plausible but the music player sounds too multi-functional for Nintendo's liking. They have never done a combination device that I can remember except small stuff like viewing photos on the Wii.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    Sounds kinda cool, but not something I'd be in a rush to upgrade to, honestly. The "central station" thing referenced in the article sounds more like a Japan-onry thing, and while a camera and music player may make it a better all-in-one device, I don't really see them doing much for the gaming capabilities.
    If it's the redesign I'm thinking of... then it's really gonna be a big upgrade. Bigger screens, touch sensitivity on both screens, lighter, ect... only problem ppl mentioned is how will the games made pre-enhancement look on a DS that has a bigger screen since it will require more resolution. Not looking forward to spending another $200~ on a DS

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I'm happy with the DS and it's graphics.

I really dislike it when develepors make hand held games that try to emulate consoles graphically. I don't need woamg amazing graphics on a 4 inch screen. The only exception is God of War.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I just bought a second DS last year too -_-

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

[UPDATE] Japanese media says Mario Factory will introduce camera, music playback, and better wireless into next revision of popular portable hardware; Nintendo cries "speculation."

Earlier this year, Nintendo projected hardware sales of its DS handheld system to total 28 million for the current fiscal year. While that can be considered a massively successful year, it is down slightly from the 30 million portable game players the company sold last year. That anticipated slowdown led one industry analyst to predict a new iteration of the DS hardware is on the way, while another had been expecting such a redesign since last November.

Today, Japanese news site Nikkei Net (subscription required) is reporting that the time has finally come for Nintendo to roll out another new DS and that the system will arrive in Japan by the end of the year. Planned features for the unnamed DS revision include a camera function, music playback, and improved wireless capabilities. No mention was made of previously speculated upgrades, such as larger screens, enhanced memory, or a smaller size.

Nikkei expects the redesigned system to carry a price tag of about ¥20,000 ($188), somewhat higher than the ¥16,800 ($158) Nintendo currently charges for the first redesign of its popular portable, the DS Lite. The new system will reportedly arrive on Japanese store shelves by the end of the year.

[UPDATE] Not so fast, says Nintendo of America. In a statement issued to GameSpot, a Nintendo representative labeled Nikkei Net's report as unconfirmed speculation that was not based on any information given out by the Kyoto, Japan-headquartered company.

"The Nikkei newspaper wrote a recent story about a DS solely based upon their own research and speculation, without interviewing Nintendo," said the game company. "While Nintendo is always working on new hardware, we have not made any announcement about a DS and we cannot comment on the Nikkei story."
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198286...dlines;title;1

So looking like an unfounded rumor.