Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Etrian Odyssey II Announced

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5...2resizedf8.jpg

http://www.atlus.com/res/eoii9.jpg

http://www.atlus.com/res/eoii1.jpg

http://www.atlus.com/res/eoii8.jpg

First Person RPG fans rejoice, the sequel to Etrian Odyssey was announced. I know I should have just posted this in the RPG forums but I know a lot of people here play video games.. particularly the DS from what I gathered in that poll I made a few months back.

DS owners this is a game for you, I myself never liked first person RPG's until I ran into Etrian Odyssey. I highly recommend you pick up a copy if you ever spot one because this game made me want to play every one of it's kind on the market.

The game itself revolves around making your own guild full of different job classes (Warrior, Healer, Mage, Ranger, Paladin, Samurai, Dark Mage, ect, they all have different names in game) and exploring a Labyrinth. You basically sell the loot you get from monsters in the Labyrinth to gain access to new weapons, you can take quests from the pub, and missions from the higher ups. It's all just very addictive. Here is a video below:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gZ5KGg6Bk5A

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Re: Etrian Odyssey II Announced

Oh wow, that is awesome. I love FP RPG's. I used to play alot of the D&D games (DOS format and for Super NES) Eye of the beholder was by far my favorite. Thanks for sharing, I may have to check this out.

Edit: Dungeon Masters comes to mind as well. Man I miss those days.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I just wish they had more available character portraits. I mean, you get attached to them, but the character designs are so limited. That being said, much love for Etrian Odyssey, even if it hurts me and then makes me tell people who ask I just fell down some stairs.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

too much FOE

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

<3

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Heroes of Lagaard? Wasn't there a grail involved somewhere?

I liked the first Etrian Odyssey despite not typically liking first person RPGs. It kept me busy for weeks, but the only disappointing part of it was lack of post-game closure.

Tonko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5MMqNgUzM

Love this game, looking forward to the 2nd one, I hope it's harder than the first, and allows for more strategies end game.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I don't know how anyone could stand etain odyssey. Grinding for hours upon hours in a single player game = no thanks. Did it end up having a decent storyline or anything?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan
    I don't know how anyone could stand etain odyssey. Grinding for hours upon hours in a single player game = no thanks. Did it end up having a decent storyline or anything?
    There isn't much of a story, no.

However, as steep as the monster strength curve is in this game, you shouldn't really have to grind much... at least until you get to the end when you want to re-spec everyone, level new jobs, and get everyone ready for the bosses and dragons.

The amount of leveling I accompished just from exploration and item hunting seemed to cover what I needed to advance. If you try to shoot straight through, and don't explore and map every nook and cranny, then you'll be behind in levels and need to grind. If you do explore everywhere, you should need minimal grinding by the time you get to the next boss 5 floors below.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    There isn't much of a story, no.

However, as steep as the monster strength curve is in this game, you shouldn't really have to grind much... at least until you get to the end when you want to re-spec everyone, level new jobs, and get everyone ready for the bosses and dragons.

The amount of leveling I accompished just from exploration and item hunting seemed to cover what I needed to advance. If you try to shoot straight through, and don't explore and map every nook and cranny, then you'll be behind in levels and need to grind. If you do explore everywhere, you should need minimal grinding by the time you get to the next boss 5 floors below.
    Yeah, I never needed to grind except for the optional final stratum.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Yeah I haven't found myself really grinding, just exploring the labyrinth in every way possible. Trying to map it out and what not. I still haven't even beaten the first EO, I am on the 3rd Stratum at the moment. I got caught up trying to beat the Golem and do that quest, good lord he is a bitch to beat. I am about level 40 ish, I have a Protector, Landsknetch, Survivalist, Alchemist, and a Medic. I don't have anything to debuff his stupid defense skills. I hate to have to do it but I am going to have to come back later and just own his ass when I am a higher level.

Anyone else love the OST? Jesus it's like I am playing it straight on SEGA Genesis. The composer is the same guy who worked on Streets of Rage and Sonic. If anyone wants to soundtrack..

http://rpgmm.mopoo.com/user1/rpgmm/arch ... 7/530.html

Go to the bottom, password is believe is: rpgmm

If not just look around the page and copy/paste it when you are unpacking the rar. It includes the original and arranged tracks, great listen.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I hope EO2 is deeper than SAM/SAM/SAM/SAM/MED

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

All right! Time to rebuild my army of loli's.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Viq
    I hope EO2 is deeper than SAM/SAM/SAM/SAM/MED
    I never tried anything like that. My team through most of the game was Protector, Dark Hunter, Landsknecht, Medic, Troubador. As useless as the Dark Hunter seems toward the end, he was good on the way through for his binding skills. I wouldn't use him in post-game, though. Protector, Medic, and Troubador are wonderful at all times. Landsknecht is great for leveling both on the way down and on the final stratum, but not as good for boss fights as a Survivalist or Ronin. Hexer sucks. Alchemist is required on the final stratum, unless you want to use elemental melee attacks which require two steps (Troubador Blaze/Frost/Shock, or Ronin stances). Personally, I just like to use an Alchemist and Thor everything to death down there.

When I got to post-game, I rested everyone to change their skill points, retired and releveled my medic, and leveled one each of the jobs I didn't have (Survivalist, Alchemist, Ronin, Hexer). That's where most of the grinding came into play, but at this point its kinda fun because you can powerlevel new jobs pretty quickly. My favorite setup is Landsknecht, Alchemist and the leech job. Only take 3 people for more xp, then go down to the final stratum and Shocker/Allslash + Thor everything. Your leech job gets like 4k xp each time which is enough to level someone from 1-12 on the first fight.

Personally, I found different party configurations useful at different times, and a party of all Ronins can't handle bosses that need a Protector for Anti-skills, or a Troubador for dispelling.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa
    Yeah I haven't found myself really grinding, just exploring the labyrinth in every way possible. Trying to map it out and what not.
    I would consider that a grind. It's not like you are exploring to progress in a storyline, or to see/do anything remotely interesting. You're "exploring" for the sake of entering new squares, mapping them, and fighting more mobs.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah I haven't found myself really grinding, just exploring the labyrinth in every way possible. Trying to map it out and what not. I still haven't even beaten the first EO, I am on the 3rd Stratum at the moment. I got caught up trying to beat the Golem and do that quest, good lord he is a bitch to beat. I am about level 40 ish, I have a Protector, Landsknetch, Survivalist, Alchemist, and a Medic. I don't have anything to debuff his stupid defense skills. I hate to have to do it but I am going to have to come back later and just own his ass when I am a higher level.

Anyone else love the OST? Jesus it's like I am playing it straight on SEGA Genesis. The composer is the same guy who worked on Streets of Rage and Sonic. If anyone wants to soundtrack..

http://rpgmm.mopoo.com/user1/rpgmm/arch ... 7/530.html

Go to the bottom, password is believe is: rpgmm

If not just look around the page and copy/paste it when you are unpacking the rar. It includes the original and arranged tracks, great listen.
    Just confirming that the PW is indeed rpgmm

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah I haven't found myself really grinding, just exploring the labyrinth in every way possible. Trying to map it out and what not.
    I would consider that a grind. It's not like you are exploring to progress in a storyline, or to see/do anything remotely interesting. You're "exploring" for the sake of entering new squares, mapping them, and fighting more mobs.
    And, assuming you're not looking at a walkthrough or map, you're exploring to find your way to the next floor, and to find treasure that might be tucked away somewhere. Just finding all the treasure and finding a path to the next floor should be good enough to not need a lot of grinding.

And if you don't like that, then it's probably not the game for you because that's what the whole thing is about: Exploring, finding treasure, discovering the path deeper into the labyrinth, figuring out quests, how to beat optional bosses, etc. It's not really a story-driven RPG.

And in that sense, whether you want to call it a grind or not, it doesn't feel like a grind because it's happening naturally as you explore or do other things. There's little need to walk back and forth over the same spot looking for random mobs to fight over and over and over for the sole sake of gaining experience, except when you find a healing spring and want to take advantage of it or at the end of the game when you respec people and level new jobs.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Personally, I found different party configurations useful at different times, and a party of all Ronins can't handle bosses that need a Protector for Anti-skills, or a Troubador for dispelling.
    I cleared all the way through post game without ever having a Protector in my group. Troubador did come in handy at times, but outside of some boss fights I couldn't justify using one all the time.